An Inherited Home Reimagined in San Francisco

Share It

My apartment building turned 100 this year. I love daydreaming about the people who lived in it when it was new – what they were wearing, what they were thinking, how their daily routines went. It feels like an honor to live where I do, and to protect the apartment for the people that will live in it after me. When Audrey’s grandparents passed their home onto Audrey and Karl, the space entered a new era.

Audrey Bodisco, artist and stay-at-home mother, and Karl Aguilar met while working at a small independent hardware store, called Papenhausen Hardware, in their neighborhood. When Audrey suffered a significant back injury, they started thinking more seriously about starting a family and having her stay home. Starting a family with San Francisco’s housing market seemed undoable until Audrey inherited her grandparents’ 1920s Marina-style home in their favorite neighborhood, The Parkside District. When they got everything cleared out from the house, it became more apparent that there was work to be done. The stove and refrigerator did not work, the plumbing and electrical were out of date, and dry rot had taken over the windows. Karl took two months off work to tackle the projects as much as possible.

Audrey and Karl had a blank slate after renovating rooms throughout the house, and they have decorated it simply and stunningly. “The biggest challenge was filling a whole home when we came from a one-bedroom apartment with practically no furniture. We never have had a lot of stuff. All of a sudden, the house felt very big and very empty,” Audrey says. “We slowly accumulated furniture with a lot of thought as to how it would work with our aesthetic. We try to fill our home with both beautiful and functional items, opting for handmade or secondhand whenever possible. Now that we have a child, we also want it to be child-friendly while keeping with our design philosophy.” The home’s legacy now includes Audrey and Karl’s work to beautifully update and restore it with care. “We are incredibly grateful for the generosity of [my] grandparents and hope to pay it forward to our own son.” –Lauren

Photography by Maria Del Rio

1. Lynne says:

What a beautiful home, I really enjoyed seeing it!

1. Lexy says:

Anyone know where the rug came from in Audrey and Karls living room.

2. Gabi says:

It’s always such a pleasure to get a peak into Audrey and Karl’s beautiful home. The pottery, plants, and textiles are a dream.

3. Dij says:

I love your home! What a beautiful job you have done with it. Maybe I lived there once? San Francisco has called me to her so many times and I feel like I’ve come home whenever I visit. Thank you so much for sharing.

1. Audrey says:

Thank YOU for sharing your kind comment!

1. Mari says:

Hi Audrey,

May I ask where your rug is from that’s in your living room? It’s amazing!

4. Kate says:

Audrey’s Instagram feed is a favorite – I love the images she posts of this home, it always feels so serene to me. What a treat to see the home in its entirety this morning – so lovely.

5. Emmy says:

Love the calmness and warmth of this home!

6. Sasheeny says:

What an awesome story, and a blessing.

7. Cheryl says:

The wood is just beautiful and the decorating just shows it at it’s best. Lovely home.

8. Colleen says:

Could you let us know the paint colors? Thanks!

1. Karl says:

I’ll dig out all the paint colors this week, but I know that we used a color match of Kelly Moore’s “Swiss Coffee” for the walls in the Living Room, Dining Room, Den, and hallways.

9. Lea says:

Probably one of my favorite spaces you’ve featured. I love everything about it! This couple did a wonderful job curating their space!

1. Audrey says:

Thank you so much.
      That means a lot to me.
      Xx

10. Katy says:

Audrey, your home is one of my favorites – I follow you on Instagram and love your “morning moments” and seriously drool over everything in your home. It’s so thoughtfully put together and is minimalist while still being lively and colorful – a hard balance to accomplish! It was so lovely seeing your home photographed in full.

1. Audrey says:

Wow, that is so sweet of you to say!
      I honestly didn’t know what I was doing when I first started decorating our home. I just let the space guide me.
      I’m really happy with how it’s turned out and glad you are too.
      And thank you for tolerating my copious photos of it on Instagram!

11. heidi says:

I live in an old home (over 100) here in Cleveland…finding the right white for my walls has been tricky…our woodwork is very comparable to yours…help me…white paint color on walls is???

1. Audrey says:

It can be so challenging to work with that trim, right? I’ve been tempted to paint it white more than once!
      The front of our home (living & dining rooms) is a white paint by Kelly Moore called Swiss Coffee.
      I hope you find the right color for you and enjoy decorating your home!

12. Sarah G. says:

Probably my favorite house tour ever. I struggle with incorporating my global textiles and art in my home while keeping a minimalist vibe, and this not only shows me it can be done, but has given me a million ideas.

13. San Francisco Native says:

Beautiful, but every san francisco native knows those shelves wouldn’t stand a chance in an earthquake! I’m born and raised in SF and we don’t store glass containers higher than head level!!

14. julien says:

Gorrrrgeous! I live in a 100 year old Craftsman home in Portland with wood trim and moldings very similar to yours. I love seeing how airy and light your home is because I feel like all the wood makes our home feel so heavy. You make me want to strip mine and lighten it but that would be a huge project…..

Also – where on earth did you get that rug?? I want one that size/design..

1. Allyn says:

Same here! Beautiful home – would love rug source!

1. Audrey says:

Thank you! I found the rug from a great shop called Blue Teddy on Etsy.

15. Monsieur Johnson says:

Love the bohemian, minimalist vibe! Everything is so nice and tidy.

16. James Dexter says:

What a beautiful home! Love the way you set up the furniture. Your eye for design is fantastic!

17. Monica says:

It seems a warm and cozy home!

18. Jane says:

This house is one of goodies – my favorite ever I think. Peaceful, calm, beautiful light, character, the living room windows (and even the living room fireplace and shelving!)… Thank you for showing it on DS.

19. Raquel says:

This would be my dream living room-it’s so nostalgic my mom had this couch when I was a kid and my Dad had this coffee table.

20. Gayle debolt says:

I love your home. You have captured something special with the simplicity and style of your design. Where is the bed platform from? Thanks for sharing your lovely space