An Airy Los Angeles Treehouse

Share It

According to animal lover Eva Goicochea, nothing is precious when you have five rescued pets. Eva, the Los Angeles-based founder of eg° studio, a branding and web design practice, and her husband Ian Goicochea, a mechanical engineer, created a clean, thoughtful interior that works with their structure’s modern exterior — while also keeping up with the pace of a “zookeeping” life. The team from The Platform Experiment helped the couple strike a balance between the natural textures and refined color palette they sought, and the practical considerations of everyday life. Eva jokes, “Think: Hey, thanks for burying your dog bone under the couch!”

Eva and Ian both work from home in a shared office, and in addition to their day jobs, are co-founders of several startups. They each spent parts of their lives in the Southwest and Pacific Northwest, and bring both geographic sensibilities to their combined aesthetic. The 1930s four-story Spanish Revival treehouse is nestled into a lush, green Mt. Washington neighborhood hill. With two humans, two cats, and three dogs in the main house and a guest house (rentable on Airbnb), the property still feels small and cozy. They bought the house nearly four years ago from a flipper who selected beige for everything. The Goicocheas recently upgraded the kitchen with more bright, simple, and functional finishes. They also made the living room built-ins, as well as the bench seating and dining table in the kitchen. When Eva looks out the front window, she can’t help but feel like she’s sitting high up in a tree, even while surrounded by all her land-dwelling loves. —Annie

Photography by Jessie Webster

1. JB says:

Beautiful, relaxing home with adorable pets! I love the vase in the 4th picture – do you have a source? Thanks!

2. Linda Gross says:

Love this clean, neat look!

3. charlotte says:

Such a calm space, love it!

4. HP says:

What paint color was used in the bedroom? I love it!

5. Kris says:

Do you know the name of the wall color in the bedroom? I love it.

1. Sonya says:

This house is just fabulous. I would love to know the name of the paint color in the bedroom it is just so lovely

1. Eva says:

I have tried everywhere to find the paint color, but I am not sure what it is. It’s definitely Behr. I’m so sorry!

6. cfromd says:

Thanks for giving the pound puppies and shelter chats such a lovely, loving home! Shows you can have a beautiful home and pets.

7. Cheryl says:

Gorgeous home, so welcoming and calming.

8. Oh my! This is really gorgeous space. Quite dreamy.

9. Libby says:

What an absolutely beautiful home. And what gorgeous little furry friends.

10. Kat says:

What an absolutely beautiful space! Do you have a source for the black and white plaid throw?

1. Eva says:

That one is a vintage Woolrich throw (found on Etsy)!

11. This is a gorgeous home! I’m always so impressed by people who have the discipline to keep their color palette in check like this — even the furry family is color coordinated! For me, all it would take is one trip outside to country to come back with some piece that throws it all out of balance. Lovely home.

12. Elle says:

Gorgeous! Pinned it! :)

13. Catherine says:

I’m obsessed with their outdoor space! Love the tree-shaded entry porch and LOVE that day bed on the terrace (heart eyes)

14. Lindy says:

I love the practical choices this couple has made for having a home full of rescues. As an owner of rescues myself, it’s tough to choose furniture and finishes that will stand up to three sets of paws and two humans! I admire their bravery in choosing so much white.

15. lulu says:

It’s all lovely! Where is the living room rug from?

1. Robin says:

Hi, Lulu! That’s Dash & Albert’s Masinissa hand-knotted wool rug: http://dashandalbert.annieselke.com/Masinissa-Hand-Knotted-Rug/p/RDA327

16. Mary says:

Love love the credenza. Help me understand if it was painted (?) and what you use it for? Great space!!

1. Eva says:

It is painted and a bit chipped! We keep our tshirts and pjs in it as it has multiple drawers.

17. Melisa says:

Beautiful home in every way! Love your rescued furry friends. So sweet! What are your living room & bedroom wall colors? & black & white pillow in living room?

18. Garrett Fleming says:

I LOVE LOVE that black-and-cream throw!

Do you mind sharing where it is from?

-Garrett Fleming

1. Eva says:

Thank you! The plaid is a vintage Woolrich and the throw in the bedroom is Joinery.

19. Dolores says:

Thank you for sharing your beautiful home with us. It seems so peaceful. I love the woven baskets on the floors of your living and bedrooms. Where did you find them?

20. Batya says:

Perfect! Perfect! Perfect! I’ve got to ask: Is that the DIY Lindsey Adelman “You Make It” chandelier? I ordered it a while back and tried for months to assemble it, without success! I passed it along to a friend (it’s becoming a “fruit cake” of sorts) who has not managed to get it up either. Eventually we purchased a Lambert & Fils chandelier, which looks great…but I still wonder about that one I couldn’t manage to put together. Kudos to you!

1. Eva says:

That is! Let me know if you want me to connect you with Ian. He put it together!

21. emily says:

great home! love the way they used their outdoor space.

22. Ro says:

Gorgeous home! Where is the diamond print throw pillow on the couch from?

23. Julie says:

Where is that kitchen ceiling light from?

Thanks!

24. Tatsu says:

It’s wonderful that
    the home looks so soft, despite being monochrome, simple and IKEA built. It looks as though it has the most beautiful atmosphere.

25. Marie Dagenais says:

So lovely! There’s a beautiful piece of art in the corner of the bedroom, would you mind sharing the artist’s name?

26. Ellen says:

I love this home and the fact that such caring people inhabit it. Thanks for sharing!

27. Donna says:

Hello,
    I’m late to this, but have been delving deep into Marmoleum flooring… we love the Scrabble pattern (pretty sure that’s what you used) and in fact got a sample of it but were slightly turned off by the yellow/cream tones in the white. In your kitchen photo, however… the white looks pretty white. Would you say that’s accurate? Our kitchen is similar to yours in that all cabinetry is white. Also, another coincidence, we are in the LA area. Where did you find materials/installation? Thank you so much!