It’s August, a month which — for me— begs for getting organized and finishing any outstanding items on my eternal to-do list (which today meant procrasti-working on this desktop calendar I made, which you can download and use for free). While it feels like forever since I’ve been in school, this time of year still stirs up a need to get myself, my home, and my career ducks in a row. Ironically enough, this year I’m going back to school — only instead of sitting at a desk, I’m going to be standing at a blackboard and teaching a few Illustration/Design classes (!!!).
I adore summer and plan on enjoying and squeezing out every last drop over the next few weeks, but I have to admit, I’m kind of looking forward to the stillness and back-to-normal-ness that September seems to bring. There’s dozens of to-dos ahead of me — big things such as gutting and renovating my kitchen and living room and wrapping up various freelance projects, as well as many small things, like cleaning out that cluttered drawer I’ve been avoiding. With a fresh month ahead of me, I’ve been inspiration (and aspiration) hunting, so this week’s round-up features various things that have inspired me over the last week. –Sabrina
- IKEA launched the 2016 catalog, so I’ve been feverishly bookmarking, saving and pinning design ideas left, right and center. (Goodbye, afternoon!)
- I love this post highlighting a few “no-regrets” home and decor purchases.
- Raw wood, meet color. Liquid pigments are poured on wood to create a stunning, dreamy effect. Then, furniture is made out of it.
- I adore this DIY neon light bulb lamp!
- If you love botanical illustrations as much as I do, you’ll be tickled by this source list.
- Damien Tran’s abstract designs have been inspiring some color palettes I’d like to use around my home.
- Decor and Products: Beg, Borrow & Forage: Floral Arrangements That Don’t Cost A Penny, New Risograph Cards and Prints from Yellow Owl Workshop, New: Julia Rothman Wallpaper for Hygge & West, Pattern Download from Frances Macleod Day 5
- DIY: Inspiration Makeover: The Portrait Chair
- Food and Drink: Emily Han’s Cherry Bounce and Balsamic Shrub, Anna Jones’ Avocado and Lemon Zest Pasta
- City Guide: Martha’s Vineyard, MA
- Life & Business: Dee Clements of Herron, We Want Your Job: Designer at Dropbox, Life & Business: Lana Keller of Stem & Bloom
- Sneak Peeks: Two Menswear Designers’ Layered yet Orderly Co-Op, A 150-year-old Apartment in Brooklyn Heights, A London Flat Filled with Light, A Federal-Style Brick Beauty in the Hudson Valley, A Constantly-Evolving Home in East Danforth, Toronto
- Before & After: South Street Philadelphia Pop-Up Garden, A San Clemente Tuscan Tract House