An Old Home with a New Life in Tacoma, Washington

Share It

My mother instilled in me a maker’s mentality at a young age. She was a single parent that knew no limits. If I wanted new doll clothes, she’d hand me fabric. When my sister was about to get her license, my mom took a class and restored a junker ’61 Super Beetle into a beauty. I learned alongside her to reupholster a tufted sofa for my first apartment. I’ve both succeeded and failed with the idea that I can at least try to make things on my own. It’s one of my favorite traits I’ve received from her, and one I’d want to pass onto others. Just like my Mom, Lindy Dodge is a maker (and a blogger and instructor). The things she is inspired by, she learns to create herself. She has experience furniture-building, sewing, wood working, leather working, weaving, reupholstering, painting, home renovating, gardening and more. When she and her husband Travis, an engineer, found a home that needed to be restored before moving in, they went for it knowing that they would learn and change with the house.

Travis’ long commute started their search for a rental in Tacoma, WA. Their quest for an affordable apartment led them nowhere and started them on a quick mission to buy a fixer-upper. “Within 5 minutes of suggesting we buy a house, I had already found the one and quickly called on it. It was in need of EVERYTHING! The previous owners were a couple of old women (100 years old and 80 years old) in this huge old house that they couldn’t manage,” says Lindy. “But I looked past it all and couldn’t believe that something like this wasn’t out of reach – budget-wise and renovation-wise. I knew the second I saw that staircase that I needed to live there. The coffered ceiling and beams were a major pull as well. The next day we walked through it and the day after that we put an offer in and we have been gutting, renovating and living [in it] ever since.” Their home a is 3,000-square-foot, 103-year-old house. Lindy and Travis didn’t start with an easy first-go at renovating, but they have done an incredible job with the space.

Their home has the breezy, laid-back quality that they were hoping for. Linda and Travis have combined rustic, vintage, natural and modern elements together within their century-old, character-filled home. “We wanted to create a collected home that felt comfortable and natural and not ‘decorated.’ I realized that I had placed a lamp on a desk that didn’t have access to a plug, just because I liked the decoration of it and I quickly reminded myself of my goal – function and comfortable with an eclectic, cool vibe,” says Lindy. “I live in a home that was built with love and care and then brought back to life.” Travis and Lindy’s house has come alive because of their can-do, hands-on approach and what they have created with it is beautiful. —Lauren

Photographed by Candice Hackett

SOURCES

Bedroom
Tufted headboard, built by Lindy, (James Design Co.)
Beach print: photo of Spain taken by Lindy, frame: IKEA
Lamp: IKEA
Paint color: Benjamin Moore, Owl Gray

Kitchen
Floating shelves, built by Lindy and Travis
Wooden bowls and ceramics: collected on Lindy and Travis’ travels/home goods/IKEA
Hexagon table: thrifted
Breakfast nook Roman shades: Lowes
Pillows: made by Lindy, fabric from Hancock
Raatan chair: thrifted
Dresser: Thrifted
White roman shades: made by Lindy
Cabinet paint Color: Farrow and Ball Downpipe

Paint color: Benjamin Moore Simply White
Theater seats: thrifted
Beach print: taken by Lindy
Frame: IKEA
Pillows: made by Lindy & thrifted
Plant and planter: IKEA
Buffalo plaid bench: thrift store coffee table, upholstered by Lindy
Couch: thrifted and reupholstered by Lindy

Pillows: thrifted
Sheepskin: IKEA
Rug: RugsUSA
throws: from trip to Mexico
Paint color: Benjamin Moore Simply White

1. Amanda says:

So beautiful! And I especially love that she remembers what each piece cost–a mark of a true thrifter!

2. Jane says:

Your house is beautiful and I hope to ever have even a tiny bit of the thrifting luck you have! Also, I love the floating shelves. We want to do a similar thing in our house, but I can’t figure out how to attach brackets (or other unconventional things like those copper pipes) to the wall. Can you share your technique?

1. Lindy Dodge says:

Hi Jane! those copper pipes are encasing a wood dowel. so we used dowel screws to screw them into the wall to provide the support for the floating shelves. you can see our whole renovation process on my blog…www.thimbleandcloth.com

3. My hometown! So great to see such a lovely home in such a great town.

Gorgeous!

Jaclyn

4. Mary Beth says:

Congratulations – what a lot of creativity, hard work and love you have put into your beautiful home. Your home is such a gorgeous combination of peaceful, lovely light and ingenious DIY projects! I must add that Babycat is quite darling.

5. Jessica Meizlis says:

What type of flooring is the wood? real? laminate? Do you have the brand and color by any chance? Thanks! I love them!

1. Lindy Dodge says:

Hi Jessica! its actually the most cost effective laminate flooring at Home Depot! its by Traffic Master and you can read all about it on my blog. http://www.thimbleandcloth.com

6. Kate says:

I’m feeling super inspired by this gorgeous home and all the rad DIYs!

7. Not only does their home look like a serene oasis, but I love that it was truly a creative collaboration of ingenuity, as well as, budget friendly. That kitchen especially is beautiful, for only $500! Because I’ve seen homes that have a similar aesthetic, except the owners “splurge” and spend $800 on door knobs, and $1,000 for a bench cushion, which is not remotely attainable for most of us. But I really feel inspired when I see houses like this!

8. Jenica says:

beautiful!!
    can we get more information about their concrete counters? how in the world did they adhere to the existing counters?

1. Lindy Dodge says:

hi Jenica! we literally roughed up the surface and slapped a $10 bag of concrete on there! you can read more about it on my blog. http://www.thimbleandcloth.com

9. Dorothee says:

So gorgeous, what a beautiful renovation ( and so close to home)
    Greetings from Seattle

10. Ashley says:

You see love in every corner of these spaces. Beautiful.

11. Loes says:

Wauw i love this look.
    My house can be like this.
    Love, Loes

LifeasLoes

12. Ginger says:

This is such a beautiful home! I love how original and collected their home is and how beautifully they have restored it! Lindy likes to thrift and decorate on a tight budget just like I do. I am thankful that I have a tight budget because it forces me to be creative!

13. Erin says:

As a former resident of Tacoma (SOTA graduate even!) this makes me miss home so much!

Truly beautiful space, it’s going to be great inspiration as I move into my first apartment this weekend.

Well done!

14. Sarah W says:

I love this tour so much! I live in Issaquah, so I was excited to see a tour close to home! But what I loved most about it is that it is so beautiful, and yet seems attainable. Like someone else said, I often find the things people do out of reach budget wise, but so much of what you’ve done is not that expensive! And it looms good too! Great job!

1. Sarah W says:

Ack! Look, not loom. :/

15. Lindsey says:

What a gorgeous home, the fact that it is so tenderly and thrift fully done only adds to the appeal. Bravo!

16. JT says:

What a beautiful and inspiring home. I am a thrift-er just not really a DIYer. I try so hard though! One day, I too will be a Lindy! Also love her blog!

17. Sophia says:

This is so impressive!! Your house is beautiful! Everything looks so high end, such a lesson that clever thrifting really pays off – I constantly battle my husband’s obsession with modern and new verses my love of old and character, plus a good bargain!

18. Megan Markwardt says:

This house is so beautiful! I’m am in love with the style and decor.

19. Allison says:

How did you make that beautiful light above the kitchen table, out of a basket? can you post a DIY on this project? I am dying to make one. Allison

20. Rob Edman says:

Amazing!! This is proof that you can live a beautiful life at any cost level with a lot of sweat, heart, and fearlessness. I love everything about this home!

21. Bettina nelson says:

Hi! Where are the ceiling lights from? I love them :))

22. robyn says:

what did you use for the stair treads??

23. Helen says:

Hi–I think the paint color listed for the kitchen cabinets isn’t correct–it looks like a dark teal, but the color that comes up in a search is grey. Can you please point me in the right direction? Thanks.

24. Hi Lindy!! Forgive me if I missed it – but OMG your island color is stunning!! I know it was thrifted but do you happen to know the paint color used on it?? We’re currently renovating my best friend / co-blogger’s home and settled on a Peacock color like that but I’m having trouble finding the right one. Yours is just about perfect!!

25. Never mind my apologies!! It’s Farrow & Ball downpipe and it’s the perimeter. Thank you!!

26. Emily says:

Hi! Where are kitchen ceiling lights from, and also what color paint did you use for cabinets?