This Painter’s Baltimore Home Embodies Vintage Ease

Share It

Having lived in Belarus, New York, Pennsylvania and now Maryland, Daria Souvorova has seen her fair share of apartments. Moving can be tiresome, but it has taught her exactly what a home must have in order for her creativity and happiness to flourish. Her latest move saw her strolling around Baltimore’s Mount Vernon neighborhood looking for a new apartment. Checklist in hand, she was eager to find a place with “decorated mantels, parquet floors, huge windows, chandeliers and high ceilings.”

It was another feature, however, that had Daria pining for this 2-bedroom walkup: leaded, glass windows. Every room in the 800-square-foot apartment has them. The windows’ history and beauty immediately caught her eye, but the planner in Daria had to make doubly sure this was the right fit. In the same thoughtful manner in which she approached her apartment search, she crafted a 2D, scale model of the walkup. She even gridded out furniture beforehand so she could know exactly how every item would fit inside! Luckily this exercise proved the home’s worth, and she moved right in.

Since the larger furniture’s location was already planned out, Daria was able to focus on trimming the home with her curated collection of artwork – some by close friends and herself. Daria’s decorating goal is quite evident as you peek around the house. Each ornament works together to create “a meeting place for friends and family,” with a vintage touch and a focus on comfort. Her get-togethers have already become the stuff of legends, and she is incredibly grateful that her friends feel comfortable in her new home. Daria’s multiple fireplaces, furs, rugs and collected charms serve as the perfect backdrop to long, giggly friend-dinners. Can I get an invite next time, Daria? I’d feel right at home in this place. It’s endlessly cozy and effortless. Enjoy! —Garrett

Photography by Rafael Soldi

1. Kat says:

Lovely home! I was curious to know if the bike rack in image 5 is something that Daria made or that she purchased? I’m on the hunt for a good solution to storing my own bike :)

1. Chloe says:

I was wondering the same thing!

2. Daria says:

Hi Kat,
      Thanks!
      I actually found the rack on Amazon.com. I think I just searched “bike rack” and it was fairly easy to find. It was advertised as a freestanding balancing rack, but it is quite wobly with two bikes on it freestanding. I screwed it to the wall and it works perfectly now.

2. MEW says:

Thank you for the tour! I love Baltimore and enjoyed seeing this space. I have a little question, if it’s not a bother. I too started collecting vintage copper pots but have read you should have them treated or tinned or something before using them? I wonder if the homeowner has any advice or tips on that….? Thank you!

1. Annabelle says:

Only if the tinning is coming off on the inside (you can see the copper peaking through). Though I’ve been negligent about this with my own 1930s copper kettle.

On another note… FAVORITE TOUR EVER.

1. Daria says:

Thanks Annabelle!

PS, you should be totally solid on the kettle – the tinning is only an issue with acidic foods :)

2. Daria says:

Hi Mew,
      Annabelle is right. Most pots already come with either a tin (most likely) or a silver or steel lining. You only need to replace it if there are visible areas of copper. And even tiny ones you can get away with if you do not cook anything acidic like tomatoes (that is how verdigris is made).
      There are several online services that offer retinning. It is not cheap. I think the lowest I have paid is $45 for an 8inch pan.
      I love cooking on the copper! I make jasmine rice in five minutes now! But be careful with tin lined pots as tin’s melting point is around 450.

3. “The shelf under the TV I built out of odd bits of barn wood I found on the streets…” …. wow!! That is incredible! I love that idea of taking something that most people overlook, finding the beauty in it, and then using it to create something wonderful. Thank you for being such an inspiration!

1. Daria says:

Thank you Brooke! I am lucky in knowing a lot of sculptors who are patient with me and show me how to use powertools!

4. Kaitlyn says:

This is so perfect. I love the crown molding and floors so much. Also the stairs! So much of this place is great “bones” so I’m loving that her decor/life fits into it so well. Beautiful space!

– Kaitlyn

1. Daria says:

Thanks Kaitlyn!

5. Jo says:

This comment is utterly besides the point, but my friend wore that exact dress to her wedding and I’ve been obsessed with it since (but too shy to ask cause I don’t want to come away from a wedding say “yeah, nice wedding – where’d you get that dress?!”)

Does anyone recognize the designer?

1. Karla Webster says:

The dress is from Anthro and is on sale now for like $70!

6. Aki says:

No caption on Image 11?? I wanna know about a story behind those paper cranes!

7. Breanne says:

Jo, the dress is from Anthropologie, pretty recently.

8. millie says:

I’m in love. I just want to curl up on the couch with a scotch and become best friends with Daria. What great taste! What a home!

1. Daria says:

Thanks Millie!

9. Daria says:

Hey Jo,
    I don’t remember the designer but I bought it in Anthropologie earlier this year.

10. Bunnie Twidwell says:

What a lovely home with so much creativity. Thank you for sharing how materials can be sourced and re-purposed. Love your studio!

11. heidi says:

Live in an old home myself with lots of natural woodwork and hardwood floors…it is hard to find the perfect white for the walls…what white paint did you use?…it seems very soft~

1. Daria says:

I was actually very lucky to inherit the wall colors so I am not sure of the exact white, sorry!

12. Wendy says:

Oh my gosh, what a lovely place! I, too, live in a historic row house in Baltimore’s Mount Vernon neighborhood. I am loving your windows and decor style… everything works so well with your vintage space. We should basically just be friends so I can be one of those lucky people who get to gather at your place for get-togethers.

1. Daria says:

Hi Wendy! You should definitely come hang out! We are always looking for more people to join and a few of our dinner party folks are moving so chairs are even available :) just find me on Facebook

13. Mel says:

Beautiful home Daria! I went on Overstock looking for your rug but so many rugs! I would be grateful if you could share the name or link.

14. Hannah Marie says:

Nice! I usually don’t comment on DS but had to this time, because I’m a Carver alum (from before you were teaching there) and recognized the name. Pretty house, pretty dress, will check out your work.

15. nadia says:

exceptionally beautiful. your taste is exquisitely delightful.

16. Massa Global says:

Hi, Daria Souvorova It’s a nice your home!

17. I love seeing homes and studios of working artists. What a charming home! I looked at Daria’s site, and her work is quite nice – well done!

18. Rebecca says:

The “honeycomb” handles in the kitchen.. where did you find such a treasure?

1. Daria says:

Hey Rebecca,
      I found them at Anthropologie in Baltimore.

19. Judy says:

Daria! Of all the people I know, you are the one I would have picked to be featured on a design blog. Thanks for sharing your innate and wonderful sense of style. Greetings from Boston (no longer PAFA).

20. Beth says:

Love this space ! Reminds me of my old apartment in Mt.Vernon. There are a lot of really large beautiful apartments like theses in Baltimore, I miss that !

21. Chelsea says:

This is the loveliest comment thread I’ve read in a long time. Thanks for showing us your home, and I love your artwork!

22. Adorable home! Since we don’t have many flea markets here in Alaska, I love to peruse Craigslist for vintage finds. The pillows, on your bed, you made from old fabric are lovely. I love to use antique European textiles to create beautiful pillows also. Repurposing, reusing, redesigning, and renewing are important. Thanks for the home tour!

23. Eva says:

So beautiful and soothing! I’m constantly on the lookout for rugs like that. They make all the difference! And what a superb house to begin with. Yum!

24. Grace says:

Hello Daria,
    Lovely space and delightful taste! Thank you so much for sharing — makes me want to sit at home and read. You say the rug in image #6 is from Overstock — any further information on it? I’m in love with it, and am currently on a grande search for a rug just like it.
    Thank you!

25. Elizabeth says:

Likewise — please, oh please share the link to the rug. It’s perfect. So lovely!

26. Amy says:

Hello! Beautiful home. The rug from overstock that is underneath your dining table…is it still available or do you have a name/manufacturer for it?

Thank you kindly.