A Plant Designer and DJ’s Easy-Going Brownstone

Share It

After working as a Visual Effects/Animation Producer for nearly a decade, Lisa Muñoz turned a new leaf (pun intended) and launched Leaf and June, an Interior Plant Design company, bringing greenery to New Yorkers’ homes, retail spaces, events and offices everywhere. Her boyfriend, David Azzoni, is a Partner at Turntable Lab, a New York-based DJ Shop (and is also a DJ himself, who’s been making people dance for over 16 years)! Together, Lisa and David are partners in life, love, music “and eating pasta and tacos,” adds Lisa.

After living with three roommates for years in and around Brooklyn, Lisa set her sights on this Brownstone on a tree-lined street in the Clinton Hill neighborhood. “This apartment won my heart when I saw that it had six large windows facing East and West,” Lisa says, “and also had an extra space for an office!” When Lisa moved in, there was just enough room for her things, but with the addition of David after a few months, they began to feel the limitations of 930 square feet. It forced them to play Tetris with their things, and free themselves of furniture they weren’t completely in love with. As a result, their current space is only filled with their absolute favorite and most-loved pieces. Lisa says of the downsizing experience: “It’s really incredible how much stuff you can accumulate in your life and how little you actually miss once it’s gone.” They’ve happily called this space home for nearly five years, and despite the limitations they face living in a rental — they have to refrain from their dream of renovating the kitchen — they’ve found work-arounds and practice compromise to make their space work for them, using casual and easygoing decor and — you guessed it — oodles of plants to breathe life and warmth into their space. –Sabrina

Photography by Erica Gannett

1. Em says:

I LOVE this flat! Lisa should do a D*S plant workshop!

2. Lauren says:

What a lovely home! Would you mind sharing the make of your record shelves? My husband’s collection is constantly growing, and we’re always looking for bigger and better storage options that will look good in our space and allow easy access.

1. Lisa says:

Thank you! They’re from IKEA and are perfect for records!

2. Margot says:

Those shelves look like IKEA Kallex (?) – the range that replaced Edit. Looks like 2 x 8 cubby units placed on top of one another. These come with drawer and cupboard options in various colours.

3. Faith says:

What is the name of the plant on the fireplace mantle behind the bed? It’s beautiful!

1. Lisa says:

Thanks! That one is a Gold Dust Dracaena.

4. Betty says:

Lisa is a talented lady. Beautiful photos!
    First class place to call home.

5. Megan says:

I love this space. The plants are absolutely my favorite part! Also, what is the name of the plant on the left side of the mantle?

1. Lisa says:

It’s a Gold Dust Dracaena. One of our favorites!

6. Margot says:

Lovely apartment by the way. Love the vintage pieces and all those plants!

7. Betty says:

Beautiful photos ! Lisa is a talented lady. Lovely place to call home.

8. Flip Home says:

Wow, that is such an amazing layout and with such a small space! I love how bright and fresh each room looks, and even though they have used a lot of plants they don’t seem to get overbearing. They’ve used some great pieces of vintage furniture, I think my favorite is the reading nook in the bedroom, awesome vintage chair, awesome vintage light.

9. Flora says:

Lisa
    I name my plants too! I have a fern it looks like dreadlocks I don’t know it’s botanical name I call him ‘Side Show Bob’. Love your place.

10. Aidel.K says:

Beautiful plants! They really make the place. I’m interested in hearing about sources for hanging planters; these are very nice.

11. Junedotbe says:

You have a very beautiful home. Very peaceful ! Can I ask what kind of plant that big one in the kitchen is (photo 13) ? It looks amazing in its MCM planter.

1. Lisa says:

Thank you! That one is an Alocasia also known as Elephant Ear.

12. Love the color coded bookshelf and the dining room chairs!

13. Anna says:

Where do you get that awesome floor planter In the kitchen corner nook?

1. Lisa says:

The floor planter is a vintage piece we found here in Brooklyn.

14. Courtney says:

It’s a far cry from our apartments on Dallas Dr. or our rental house on Coit. The place reflects you in every corner. Love the space and love you, friend.

1. Lisa says:

Thanks, Court!! Love you!

15. Irene says:

You’ve truly upped my #plantgoals with your gorgeous home! I’m so inspired and itching to get to the nursery right away. So glad to have discovered Leaf and June, too!

16. Susie Q. says:

With respect:
    “…they have to restrain from their dream…”
    It should be “refrain,” not “restrain.”

17. Kelsey says:

I love love love everything about this space — so open, airy, light, and simple in the perfect way. Amazing plants!

18. Linda Grossman says:

Can you tell me about your night table. It is wonderful.

1. Lisa says:

Thanks! They are vintage.

19. Macey says:

I love the small desk! Where did you get it??

1. Lisa says:

Thank you! The desk is from CB2 and we love it!

20. Sara says:

great design! Where is the grey sectional in the living room and the grey chair in bedroom from?! Love them both and looking for something similar. Thanks

1. Lisa says:

Thank you so much! The sofa is from A&G Merch and the chair is from Urban Outfitters. Best of luck!

21. Dileri says:

love your apartment! it is gorgeous throughout and very inspiring as we’re redecorating our home. would you mind sharing what shade of paint you used? it’s so hard to find the right whites sometime. thanks!

1. Lisa says:

Thanks for the love! Unfortunately, I’m not sure of the paint color as this was chosen by our landlord prior to our move-in. All the best with your redecorating project!

22. Matt says:

Hi, great apartment, we are moving with my girlfriend to a place with wodden floors just like this one and we took many ideas from yours! Would you mind sharing where is the rug from? Amazing combination with the sofa color!

23. Emmanuelle says:

Your light is very beautiful!! I like it very much!
    Can I know where you bought it? How does the texture look like?
    Thank you for your answer! :-)

24. Lauren says:

Love the space! I’m currently remodeling our newly purchased home and am going for a similar style. Can you tell me where you got your cute geometric pillow on the bed from? Thanks!

25. Laurence says:

Hey! I really love your décor! Was wondering where the pillows on the bed are from!
    Thanks

26. Shavonne says:

Hi! Can you tell me where your blender and mixer is from? i love the size.

27. Brodie says:

Adore the gold pendant lamp in your bedroom nook! May I ask where it came from? Also your house is just magical ✨

28. Marissa says:

Your apartment is beautiful! All details, perfectly curated. I was wondering where you purchased the pillows on your bed? Looking for ones just like them : ) Thanks!