A Home For Family and Friends In The Northern Beaches of Sydney

Share It

Inside Caleb and Tess Guinery‘s home, there’s no shortage of love, adventure, creativity and chaos. Caleb, a stunt-man for film and television, and Tess, a graphic designer and visual communicator, just welcomed the first addition to their family — their daughter, Peaches Wilde. A few years prior, they made the move from the coastal town of Mollymook, Sydney to a small apartment by the sea, nestled in the northern beaches of Dee Why. It wasn’t long before they fell in love with the relaxed beach lifestyle with restaurants, shops and cafes just a stone’s throw away, so once they discovered that they were expecting a child, they were determined to find a way to stay in the location they had fallen in love with. They managed to make their tiny studio apartment work for a while, but once Peaches came along, they quickly realized they needed a bigger space, but as luck would have it, an apartment became available just down the street! The home was cluttered and dark when they first toured it, but Tess saw potential in the space’s high ceilings, large windows and square footage — but perhaps the biggest perk was discovering that close friends lived right next door.

Since they moved just a year ago, their late 60’s apartment has become so much more than the space they live; it’s where Peaches took her first steps, among many, and has been host to countless dinner parties with friends and family. “Caleb cooks and I set the ambience and light candles,” Tess explains, “but we enjoy quieter nights too… at least once a week we play Skip-Bo and enjoy a glass of wine whilst listening to Caleb’s extensively and carefully curated Spotify playlist.” Caleb and Tess’ passion for their friendships is something they hold dear, and though the home is still a work in progress, perhaps Tess says it best: “Our life isn’t perfect but we love what we have been blessed with and we love our home.” –Sabrina

Photography by Alex Caryle

1. DNA says:

Wow, could these people make my life seem any more boring? Stunt man, countless dinner parties, beaches. Le sigh…

2. Mel says:

It’s so heartening to see this – I happen to be renovating a very, very neglected mid-60’s unit in Dee Why with my partner at the moment (and going all-white, too).

We’re almost at the stage of being able to move in (just about everything in the unit was broken when we started) – even after that there are more things that will need to be fixed, so I can definitely relate to the work-in-progress status!

After all this work it’s lovely to see such a beautiful space in a similar unit in our suburb. I can’t wait to add some greenery to ours….

3. Andi says:

Where did you get the towers? Love them!

4. Becca Rettenberger says:

I absolutely love the ladder desk! Do you think Caleb and Tess would be willing to share instructions or plans on the beautiful piece?

5. Kat says:

Hi. That ladder shelf desk is so beautiful. I would like to have that for my room as well! Any tips!?

6. Kristian says:

I absolutely love your ladder desk. My little sister (25) recently moved in with me and we are googley eyed over it.

Do you mind sharing how you made this?

She leaves for two weeks tomorrow and id love to surprise her when she returns.

7. Lana says:

Oeeeh, I like the ladder desk!!
    I want to make it to, can you tell me where you bought all that stuff? Or how to created it? Xx

1. Karina says:

For those looking for a little insight of how the desk was built you can see it on her blog http://www.tessguinery.co/#!A-SILLY-SKETCH-COMES-TO-LIFE/ctdo/56243ced0cf2c3576e6551d3