A Handmade Home in the Bay Area

Share It

The night before Becca Piastrelli and her husband Tim were going to sign a lease for a rental in another town, a poorly written and poorly photographed ad for a house in Mill Valley, CA popped up. It was where they wanted to be. Becca trusted her intuition and went to the open house and they both found what they were looking for. Timing is everything sometimes, and even the most thorough searches can be set off by one last look.

Becca is a full-time blogger, maker and doer. “I am passionate about dabbling and making — working with my hands is what makes me happiest. I used to work in the corporate tech industry in San Francisco, but found I was much happier making lip balm and kombucha than presenting power points to executive boards,” Becca says. “So I made the leap into blogging full-time several years ago and haven’t looked back.” Tim is a computer engineer who loves all things practical and efficient.

The bohemian-meets-semi-traditional vibe in this space is a fair representation of the couple. “The decorating process has been an organic one. I’ve learned, over the years, to patiently wait for the right pieces to come across your path,” Becca says. “We wanted it to feel cozy, magical, and like a blend of our two styles. My style is natural with a bit of worldly woo woo (my own term) and my husband’s is modern with a hint of Star Wars. We make quite the pair and a lot of that is reflected in our home together.” The mix of cool green walls and architectural quirks in the home supports both styles, allowing the couple to feel creative and inspiring them to continue to make their home a collaborative and loved space. —Lauren

Photography by Rosa Delgado

Table – World Market
Sari Rug – World Market
Fruit Bowl – Heath Ceramics
Candleholders – Viva Terra

WORKSPACE
Standing Desk – IKEA
Calendar – Rifle Paper Co.

1. Kaitlyn says:

I found myself repeating things like “I could live there” and “I want that” throughout these photos! I really like the simplicity of things, as well as personal details throughout their home.

– Kaitlyn

1. Thank you, Kaitlyn. You are welcome over for tea anytime.

2. Sea says:

What is the living room pAint color

1. We moved in to find that glorious paint color already on the walls, so I don’t have an answer for you. So sorry!

3. Ashley says:

That dining room!! So lovely. My brother and sis-in-law live in Mill Valley, it is truly a beautiful, special place.

4. phillylass says:

So, so lovely. I second the request for the living room paint color. And the source for the “meet me at the farmer’s market” print too, please!

1. madlyn says:

Beautiful home and yes,I could there! The paint color is perfect.

5. Thank you for your kind words. We love our cozy room and it is an honor to share with you.

So sorry I can’t give the paint color, but here’s a link to the farmer’s market print in our kitchen: https://www.etsy.com/listing/102106128/farmers-market-vertical-print

6. Wow, Becca! Beautiful home filled with light, positivity, & creativity! I love it. And the fact that you say your space was made with the idea that you wanted it to be a retreat from the world or work inspires me. Thanks for sharing!

7. Lisa says:

What about the bedroom colour? :)

1. I’m sorry I don’t know that either :(

8. Chelsea says:

What a lovely home! What is the name of the Ikea item being used as a standing desk? Been looking for a piece like this for a while!

9. I really like the use of natural bare brick used around the fireplace it really makes it stand out from the subtle colours in the room.

10. Sandi says:

New inspiration for my new house. Ok so it’s an 18th century townhouse in France but newer than my 16th century mill house down the road and much smaller . Love your decorating style California comfy and make a geek happy combo. Now what to do with books?