Curated Style in a Brooklyn Brownstone

Share It

I think one of the biggest highs for me as a prop and interior stylist is coming across an object that is wonderfully fitting for my set. In these moments I think, “something else would have been fine or good enough, but this glorious object is perfect.” Those finds are rare, but when they happen, it feels like magic or fate was somehow involved. Alyssa and Paul also have a knack for looking for things that will just do, and have instead ended up with the pieces and home of their dreams.

Alyssa, floral designer/owner at Bracken and freelance prop stylist, and Paul Hoppe, Art Director at Local Projects, moved from Los Angeles to Brooklyn a year and a half ago. They wanted to find a brownstone and were lucky enough to find one on a tree-lined street in a great location. “The apartment had just been remodeled when we moved in, so it was great to find something that felt new and clean in a building full of the character of old homes that we love,” Alyssa says. “We didn’t bring much with us when we moved here from Los Angeles. Just a few boxes of clothes and some of the special knick-knacks from places we traveled. All of the furniture and decor pieces we collected here.”

The Hoppes’ great discoveries didn’t stop with their apartment: “One of our best finds was our matching dressers from a salvage store in Brooklyn. We were only looking for one dresser when we came across these two. We liked the design and they were priced at $40 so we decided to take one home. Just before we bought it we noticed the Herman Miller seal on the inside of the top drawer. When we got home we Googled it and found they were designed by George Nelson and retail at $1,700 apiece. We immediately went back and bought the other one and made it work in our living room.”

This home is balanced with neutrals and color, things old and new, purchased and made. The Hoppes have made it into a space that reflects both of them in a beautiful combination. “We always want our home to feel like it’s a part of both of us,” says Alyssa. “We tend to like a lot of the same things but my aesthetic can be a little more rustic and raw while Paul’s is clean-lined and more modern.” Of course, the home of an art director and stylist is this incredibly well done while looking effortless at the same time. The items they have found to bring into their home are as incredible as the space itself. —Lauren

Photography by Kathleen Bly

SOURCE LIST

Living Room
– Grey chair/IKEA
– Shelving System/ We designed and got all the parts from Lowes
– Pillows/ West Elm
– Orange chair/ Brooklyn Flea
– Side table/ found the base at a salvage yard and the marble top is a lazy Susan I found at a thrift store
– Couch/ Macy’s
– Rug/ IKEA
– Dresser/ George Nelson steel frame dresser thrifted at Build it Green in Brooklyn

Dining Area
– Wishbone Chair/ Craigslist
– Industrial Art Chairs/ Craigslist
– Wood Block Tables/ Craigslist
– Lamp/ IKEA
– Large Print/ Photo we took, printed at Kinkos, and attached to a vintage school room map
– Bike Rack/ Barrecrafters

– Basket/ Jamali
– Curtains/ IKEA

Kitchen
– Hanging system/ IKEA
– Baskets/ Thrifted

1. Beth says:

I absolutely adore this, especially the usual plant on the wall. The whole design has a very minimal feel to it, makes it feel really classy doesn’t it?
    Keep your posts coming x

2. Batya says:

It’s been almost 4 years since we moved to Colorado and I have a VERY large collection of mountain-scapes on my memory card. I love the idea of blowing a few of them up like you’ve done in your living room. Is that an architectural/engineering print? And how did you secure it to the vintage map? Is there another kind of board you can affix these sorts of prints to in lieu of the map? Thanks so much. I love your space! Well done.

1. Alyssa says:

Hi Batya! It is an architectural/ engineering print we got done at Kinkos. We first attached it using masking tape but then switched to binder clips on either side. You could also use the binder clips and nails to hang the print on the wall in lieu of the map. Hope this helps!

3. Batya says:

Whoops- that was the dining room, not living room. But same questions apply :)

4. Catherine says:

This is my favourite home tour EVER. It’s completely different to my style, but it just feels so calm, yet perfectly disordered. THanks for sharing!

5. avital says:

i l o v e this home. every single thing. thank you for this great insperation

6. Marisa snyder says:

Wow looks beautiful, rustic with class. You gave me some great ideas!

7. justine says:

Hi! I love that the curtains in the bedroom are from IKEA. Are you able to provide the exact style name/number? Thanks so much! I love your home!

1. Alyssa says:

Hi Justine! The curtains are the LENDA collection in light beige. Glad you like our home!

8. madlyn says:

I love this home and the clock ” arrangement” is truly clever!

9. Casey says:

I was soooo excited to see this because Alyssa was one of our Resident Artists our inn and she was SUCH a delight! I had a great time talking water colors, styling, and design with her (among a bazillion other topics) and it comes as absolutely no surprise that her and Paul’s space is a lovely as they are! Wonderful spot guys.

10. Linh says:

I am wondering the same thing as Batya regarding the photograph in the dining room. What material is it printed on and how is it mounted? Lovely home!

11. Alyssa says:

Hi Linh! I responded to Batya above. Check it out!

12. Morgan says:

Love your home! Love the oversize mugs, could you tell me where you got them?

13. Lesley says:

As a fellow specimen collector, I would LOVE to know how Alyssa prepped and framed her collection of pressed flora- especially if she used any specific materials!

This house is dreamy!

14. Missy says:

gorgeous texture and layering at work here. your home truly conveys the personality and style of its occupants.

15. Erin says:

I love the “nightstands” in the bedroom! Can you tell me where you bought them? Thanks! :)

16. Elise says:

hi! can you tell me what plant that is in the kitchen? thanks!