A Relaxed Bungalow in Portland, Oregon

Share It

Freelance photographer Jaclyn Campanaro and her cat Cece moved into this 1920s-era home less than a year ago, but their style already touches every nook and cranny of the Portland, OR 2-bedroom. Having been all too familiar with the tradeoffs that come with studio living, Jaclyn was eager to use her new, larger house as a backdrop to indulge her vintage-loving side. She relied heavily on Craigslist, family heirlooms and a few favorite local shops to bring her vision of a “relaxed, uncluttered space,” to life. A 1,500-square-foot bungalow that “supports the natural flow of daily activity by being organized and having a place for everything,” was another guiding principle behind all of her design decisions. To prevent her vision from being compromised, Jaclyn even took things into her own hands when it came to a few of her home’s pieces. An IKEA-hacked dining table and a DIY TV stand are just a couple of the one-of-a-kind solves she’s concocted.

Her home’s robin’s-egg-blue paint job, storied accents, and sense of zen are all worthwhile in their own way, but Jaclyn’s humble gratitude for being able to simply own a home is what sticks with me about this tour. It’s what she loves most about her space. Sometimes I find myself slipping into a bigger, better, brighter mentality and forget to be grateful for what I have. I’ll be sure to remind myself of Jaclyn’s point of view whenever I am feeling a bit perturbed about the quirks of my own space, and I hope it inspires you all to do the same. Enjoy! —Garrett

Photography by Jaclyn Campanaro

1. Amanda says:

Love all the thrifted and craigslisted pieces! Our home is full of a lot of the same because we’re frugal, but it isn’t nearly as beautiful as this home. Nicely done!

2. elle says:

this is pretty much my vintage bungalow dream bubble. can i move in?

3. Jean says:

What a gorgeous home! I’m especially loving the breakfast nook. Congrats to you (and Cece) on your house and enjoy! : )

1. Garrett Fleming says:

Jean, I have ALWAYS wanted a breakfast nook so it’s one of my favorite aspects of Jacyln’s home as well.

-Garrett

4. robin says:

I love this. Really nice use of IKEA intermixed with vintage and thrifted items.

5. (Hi, fellow Stumptowner!) I love this house for so many reasons: the carefully edited belongings, primarily. The use of favorite memorabilia and meaningful objects, art and furnishings throughout. The plants. The fact that she didn’t rip out less-than-trendy cabinets/countertops in the kitchen because they are still perfectly good. Bravo!

6. Laura Brown says:

Love this space! And this makes me want go out and buy at least 10 more plants. I love the use of greenery!

7. Isabelle says:

I enjoyed this house tour more than any in recent memory….and I look at them all. It is so light and airy and has the best coordination of vintage finds. Love that egg blue in the living room.

1. Garrett Fleming says:

I am so happy you enjoyed it, Isabelle! I’ll be thinking of that robin’s egg wall for quite a while as well. It’s so bright and cheery!

-Garrett

8. The egg blue paint in the living room is so amazing. It adds so much. The breakfast nook is by far the favorite! It seems so cozy!!

9. Marti says:

I don’t usually comment on posts but I had to pop in to say how much I love this home. It’s such a great balance of character without clutter – it looks natural and inviting. Such a great tour!

10. Maddie says:

I love her home. She had such a wonderful sense of design placement and it makes the place just burst with vibrancy. Kudos to her kitty CC for pulling it altogether. How much did Miller paint pay for this ad? I’d be interested in advertising in a blog post on the design sponge for sure! Do you guys work with digital brand architects?

1. Grace Bonney says:

Maddie

I’m assuming you meant that question in earnest. Herman Miller didn’t pay anything for this post or insert an ad in this post anywhere. They just happen to own a ton of HM ;)

We don’t work with DBA, but we do work with a few larger agencies to place banner ads. All sponsored content is created and managed in-house by our advertising team.

Grace

11. Shannon says:

This house is so truly beautiful- from the wall colors to the furniture to the plants! I would love to hear a little more from Jaclyn about how she found the plants. As a fellow cat owner I am constantly struggling with finding plants that won’t make the cat sick but will still do well in the space. Does she use the ASPCA website, did the nursery help her, or did she just wing it?

1. Grace Bonney says:

Hi Shannon

The ASPCA is the most comprehensive list, so I highly recommend it.

Grace

12. Paloma says:

Amazing house! Really beautiful…

13. I’m having technical trouble with the direct-reply for some reason, but to answer Shannon’s question: I got Cece after I started collecting plants and since she was my first cat I had no idea it could be an issue, so it turns out I just got lucky with a cat who doesn’t scratch things and doesn’t eat plants. I would check the ASPCA site, but also recommend you shop from a plant purveyor who knows their product well enough to be able to tell you all about it.

1. Shannon says:

Thank you so much for your response and for sharing your wonderful house with us Jaclyn!

14. vini says:

Very nice rustic home decor, great pictures!

15. Rachel says:

Jaclyn,

First off, your house is beautiful and a great inspiration. I hope to make my home as cozy and inviting as this when I finally buy one!

Most importantly, can you tell me where you got that chair pictured in the 4th photo? Or the maker?

Thanks!