A Designer’s 370 Rennovated Square Feet in Portland, OR

Share It

Change of any kind gives opportunity for beautiful results. I think problem-solving and a variety of experiences brings out a unique creative edge. Having interests in several fields gives way to a new take on design. Mira’s career and condo have both changed drastically since she began them and each have been transformed by her background and vision.

Mira Eng-Goetz is an interior designer at the Jessica Helgerson Interior Design in Portland, Oregon. She moved to the city to start her career in interior design four years ago but her artistic drive has taken her all over the world. “My path towards a career in interior design has been anything but straight,” says Mira. “Prior to working for Jessica Helgerson, I studied egg painting in Ukraine, French in Toulouse, glass painting in Senegal, sculpture in Oakland, sushi in London and interior architecture in North Carolina.” Her renovated 1927 condo shows off the way her creative experience has helped her to approach problems and has added to her abilities as a designer.

Mira moved in three years ago and got to work. “My home needed some serious love when I first moved in. The original oak flooring was worn thin, the plaster was cracked throughout, the interior storm windows were broken, the cast iron tub had been painted way too many times, the plumbing fixtures were shot and the kitchen was incredibly cramped. I camped out for the first few months, with my trusty electric kettle, camp stove, rice cooker and futon.” Mira completely redesigned the layout of the kitchen and main room to add storage and flow throughout the space. She kept a consistent palette of blues, whites, wood tones and greenery. The apartment now is cool, bohemian, industrial and refined. Her use of white in the space helps it feel bigger, brighter and fresh. This change in Mira’s home has transformed the way she lives in a beautiful way.

Photography by Malcolm Lee

SOURCES
Kitchen:
-Western walnut countertops and shelving
-Custom foil finish cabinetry
-Refurbished 60’s french door range
-Ikea hood
-Ikea sink basin
-Blomberg fridge
-Daltile subway tile in matte
-Salt dining chairs
-Ikea dining table
-New white oak flooring
-West Elm free standing shelving unit
-Kingston Brass wall mounted faucet
-Moroccan lanterns from Marrakech
-Schoolhouse Electric Alabax ceiling lights
-Schoolhouse Electric Satellite sconces
-Hand sewn pillows from African and Japanese indigo textiles
-Benjamin Moore paper white paint in regal matte finish

Bathroom:
-Ikea free standing shelving unit
-Original hex flooring

-Vintage metal desk
-Vintage task chair
-Schoolhouse Electric Alabax ceiling lights
-Restoration Hardware sconces
-Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace in regal matte finish

1. Emmy says:

This home is fantastic. Amazing job making over a place that needed a lot of love. Very inspiring for those of us who want to pare down our possessions- 370 square feet is small but you really make it work!! Also love your Coyuchi hand towel in the bathroom, I have the same one :)

2. Sara says:

So beautiful! I love absolutely everything – your blue textiles are soooo enchanting! Your place is so beautiful and calm – a real treasure. I would hunker down on your window seat and never leave!

3. a guest bed in the kitchen? I think I’m in love♡

4. Amy says:

This is the kind of boho I can get behind. Love it!

5. And this is..how it’s done :)! Great job, your place looks great!

6. Cara Cruz says:

This place is incredible. I love and seek out any small space post and I went back to double, triple, quadruple check that this one is actually 370 sq ft. Stunning.

7. caitlin says:

this is just perfect!

8. Julie says:

I live in pdx too! Where can I get those wood countertops and who installs them?

1. Mira says:

The wood comes from Gobi and the counters were installed by my contractor Paul Hegarty.

9. Em says:

Beautiful space! Love the walnut counters – I can see why you’d want to spend time oiling them :) What’s the plant in picture 14?

1. Mira says:

Hi Em,
      That plant was given to me by a friend and unfortunately I don’t know what it’s called. Sorry to disappoint!

10. peter says:

Just the most perfect use of space; it’s like being on a ship, everything stored beautifully, yet lighter and bigger than you’d expect

11. Madhavi says:

Beautiful house and even more beautiful kitchen! Could you please share what oil you use to keep them so beautiful?
    Thanks!

1. Mira says:

Thanks for your kind words Madhavi.
      The oil I use is a mix of beeswax and mineral oil.
      I get it at Ace Hardware.

12. anie says:

WOW! I am duly impressed! This is all so, so good without being overdrawn, overstyled or overmanipulated. Truly “less is more” and you make it a worthy goal. Well done!

13. Brandi says:

LOVE this space! It’s small, but the thought put behind the renovation and the materials make it look open and spacious. I love everything about it, especially the subway tiles with the wood counters/shelving. Also that she kept the floor in the bathroom and installed the gorgeous vintage sink. Gorgeous.

14. The walnut counters are stunning in that space. The window seat though is probably the most amazing aspect; the colors just make it pop out and it looks so cozy!

15. Magan says:

This is absolutely awe-some! So inspiring and lovely! I am curious, does it look like that all the time???;)

16. angela says:

This is the most well done layout I have seen in this size space. I love all the plants and neutral palette, the countertops are absolutely beautiful, I really love everything she has done!

17. Lonna Harkrader says:

Your fantastic home is both tidy and full of life. I would love to see a picture of the view over the rooftops.

18. florin says:

Nice article, always a pleasure to read your site!

19. Jen says:

beautiful home, thanks for sharing mira!
    one of my favorite features is the recurring black linen throughout the space. did you order it online or purchase it in a store?
    thanks!

20. Deanna says:

I am just about to move into my gigantic tiny apartment (550 sq ft) and can’t wait! I’ve already scoped out many multifunctional pieces of furniture such as a kitchen island that doubles as a counter so my daughter can do homework while I cook. Thanks for this inspiring post! I may steal the color scheme. <3

21. Summer says:

Wow, what an amazing use of space! I love the colors and pattern play.

Summer Thornton

22. emily says:

i am in awe of this amazing house! what a fantastic use of space. I love that big tree in the bathroom…she really knows how to live luxuriously in a little bit of space.

23. Andrés V. says:

Hi, do someone know how can I contact Jessica Helgerson studio? I need an email to write them down about some project inquiry. Thank you!

1. Grace Bonney says:

Andres

You can contact them on their website, which is linked to above.

Grace

24. Elaine says:

I’ve been following Jessica Helgerson for years, hoping someday I can afford to hire her for my PDX home. Mira you are an incredible addition to the team, from what I’ve seen.

Your place is darling, but more importantly you had the taste and vision to select the place to begin with. Those windows are breathtaking–I love steel casement windows! I love the black trim on the one. Beautiful, lovely, vibrant but calm space. I hope you stick around!