The Home Where Snow White Grew Up

Share It

The second I heard that Angela and Johnny lived in the former home of Adriana Caselotti — the voice of Disney’s Snow White — I couldn’t wait to take a peek inside. Not only did the styling not disappoint, but the home’s story is one I can’t get out of my head.

Adriana was living in the home with her music-teacher father when Walt Disney himself called to ask her father if he knew any students who would be perfect for the role in his upcoming picture. As she secretly listened in on the conversation, Adriana immediately knew she wanted to play the part. The second she got her father’s permission to audition, Adriana endlessly practiced her lines in the bathroom mirror before what would become her career-defining audition. That very mirror still remains in the home’s full bath to this day.

If that story isn’t charming enough, the way Angela and Johnny came to find their home sounds like something out of a movie itself. They were not too keen on living in Hollywood when it came time to move last June, but an unusual listing caught their attention. “(It) had only a few photos and was kind of cryptic and mysterious, but it mentioned that the house was the former home of the voice of Snow White, and we recognized the tower from the film The Long Goodbye in one of the photos. (A few days later on a bulletin board) we found a handwritten listing on an index card, ‘PHONE CALLS ONLY,’ and it was so old-timey and charming we decided to go for it. The neighborhood and house turned out to be totally gorgeous and magical,” Angela says.

The couple are extremely grateful for the home’s setting. Its position situated on a hillside walk-street — that doesn’t allow car access — serves to create the serene oasis from the hustle of Hollywood that the two were yearning for. “We park our car in a garage at the base of the hill, take the elevator up, and then walk another three minutes to get to the house,” Johnny and Angela explain. It was absolutely a lifestyle adjustment, but one that they wouldn’t change for anything. Bursting with light, a wonderful history, and views that stretch to the ocean and back, today’s sneak peek is one I won’t soon forget. Enjoy! —Garrett

Photography by Angela Stasio

1. Allison says:

Quite possibly my favorite home feature every on DS. The story and the space are absolutely charming.

1. Garrett Fleming says:

Thanks so much, Allison! We are happy you loved it!

-Garrett

2. agreed. such a sweet post it feels like a fairy tale! thanks for sending me to dream land in pictures and story.

3. Abby says:

Looks like a nice place in Beachwood Canyon. I loved hiking in that neighborhood (secret stairs!) and seeing all the different types of houses stacked next to each other. This one is a charmer and they need a great job of making it feel warm and homey.

4. What an awesome post! Such a cool find and lots of great pieces. They have great taste too. Love all of the pieces, especially the Snow White print and the Anthropologie bookcase.

5. Vanessa says:

Do you have any information on the wood framed round mirror? I love it!

6. Denise says:

Seems like the word charming was invented for spaces like this one – from the history behind it, to the way they found it, to the way it looks today; everything about it is charming! The mix of kilim textiles and warmth the plants add is such a perfect combination. This space sure is lovely!

7. Angela says:

Wow, thank you guys for the very sweet comments. Greatly appreciated. And Vanessa, the round mirror is the Porthole Mirror by Roost. I bought it a few years ago but I’ve seen it in a few stores recently. Thanks again everyone :)

8. Claire says:

Oh my GOSH! My mom lived in this same apartment from 2010-2012. You two have done a beautiful job with it. It is a very special place, not least because you can open your windows and hear the sounds of the Hollywood Bowl

1. Angela says:

@Claire, Get out of here! That’s crazy! You must know our beloved Gary:) And thanks for your kind words- though it’s hard to go wrong in a space like this. Cheers!

9. Emmy says:

Beautiful place! Love the red detailing in your kitchen so much.

10. Raj says:

Loved the place..

11. Malia says:

I laughed when I read your comment about the kilim pillow–I feel the same way about mine. Gorgeous but grizzly!

12. erin says:

this is so lovely! it sounds like you didn’t choose the paint color…. I wonder of anyone has leads on what it may be? it’s white, it’s warm, it doesn’t seem too beige-y!

13. Thank you for sharing this article. I really like the story, it’s very inspiring and heart warming.

1. Garrett Fleming says:

Isn’t it, Catherine?! I couldn’t resist sharing the second I came across it.

-Garrett

14. Angela says:

Thank you Emmy and Raj! And sounds like you know my struggle, Malia ;) Erin, you’re correct- I have no idea what the paint color is, but I can say that it’s bright but just warm enough not to be too stark, and it somehow manages to look great across a variety of lighting situations. I should really find out;) Thanks again everyone!

15. Emily D. says:

The two constellation prints above the bed are so great. Where are they from?

1. Angela says:

Hi Emily- I’m so glad you asked, I wanted to give her credit! The prints are from the Etsy shop blackandthemoon. :) -Angela

16. I walk by that house almost every single day! Have always wondered what the inside looks like :)

17. Nice Post! Interiors are stunting,Just loved it.