In Sweden, a Family’s First Home

Share It

I am currently contemplating whether or not it’s time to find a new apartment. There are so many factors to consider, that it’s sometimes hard for me to feel the excitement through the dull logistics. My wish list is set, but just getting started on the hunt is daunting. Once I finally pull the trigger I know I won’t regret it, but until then, I will just have to live vicariously through others who are moving into exciting new homes — like Malin and Maurice.

Two years ago, Maurice moved to Örebro, Sweden to be with his love. With Malin by his side they began renting this 4-room apartment, conveniently located near both the outdoors and the city center. Being able to bike to work, a front and backyard for the kids, and a location in a fantastic neighborhood made the apartment a clear winner for the family. Malin is studying to become an interior stylist and home-staging consultant, so she uses the new home to test her skills. Initially, the space was a bit messy, but a new coat of white wallpaper immediately helped the home feel both brighter and cleaner.

The style of Malin and Maurice’s home is always in flux. With two boys running around — something that probably won’t be changing soon — the original goal will always remain the same: to have a space that’s “… a mix of vintage with classic design pieces, art, and wood,” Malin says. Abundant light, a pointed view on color and a growing family are just some of the best parts of today’s sneak peek. Click on through to take it all in. Enjoy!  —Garrett

Photography by Malin Montelius

1. Ana R. says:

That wall color is enchanting! Any notes on what line/color it is?

2. Lissa says:

It doesn’t hurt to look for a new apartment. You might find something that you like better with better neighbors.

1. Garrett Fleming says:

Having focused so much on what type of new space I wanted, I didn’t consider the new people I would meet! Thanks for the reminder, Lissa. It’s even more motivation to get out there, and fine a new home.

-Garrett

1. Emi says:

Totally – looking for a new apartment can even lead you to appreciate the apartment you have. That’s what happened to me. I spent potential moving cost on rearranging and redecorating the apartment I ‘thought’ I wanted to leave. :) best of luck.

3. Koords says:

I like a very nice room.great design

4. Sally says:

I like the soft greenish turquoise around this home, on the walls and on furniture. It’s a gentle colour that has come warmth to it and blends naturally. This is a really nice home.

5. Val says:

Yes – paint color, please!

6. Thank you so much for you kind words. The wallcolor around the sofa, is NCS S 3005-G20Y

7. madlyn says:

Lovely home with beautiful colors.Your diy desk lamp is great-was it difficult to make?

1. Thank you! I made it with concrete and copper. And pulled the lamplead true the coppertubing. The lampfot is made of concrete. Mixed it in a small icecremebucket and put the beginning of the copper tubing in the concrete.
      Follow the link to the lamp:http://bloggar.aftonbladet.se/hemmafix/2013/08/lampa-av-kopparror-2/

Good luck!

8. madlyn says:

Lovely home with beautiful colors. And your diy desk lamp is great.Was it difficult to make?

9. MadeleineC says:

This is a lovely, light, and airy home. From here in California it looks so right! I have always wondered, though, how the pale, airy and open quality of many beautiful Scandinavian interiors feels in the long dark and cold winters. I would love to hear what the owners say about taking this way to deal with the cold and the dark versus the rich colors and cozy heavy fabrics route.

1. I hate cold. ;) But our winters are beautiful at the same time. I love Sweden and the 4 seasons, but when the spring is coming we swedes get in love with everything:))
      We longing for sun and the warmth at the end of winter. But wintertime has it charm swell off course. We love to light candles and fireplaces. Chill in the sofa with the family under a cozy planket. Thats a typical swede, spoken from myself.

10. Molly says:

Where did you get that fabulous bat art??? :)

1. From a vintage shop nearby my town. Love that place. You can find all the beautiful vintagestuff you dreaming about.

11. Lilly Lorens says:

I love changes because they increase my adrenaline and make me feel alive, besides, a new apartment means a new beginning.So…why not? I think that if you are getting enough of your apartment it is time to look for another. Good luck!

12. Veronica says:

I would love to see bigger pictures. I find that the size they are know is small. Or at least make if bigger when you want to see the slideshow. Please!

1. Grace Bonney says:

hi veronica

these images are actually larger than we’ve ever run on the site. we used to run images at 400 pixels, then 500 pixels and now they’re at 700.

grace

13. Vikky says:

Like everyone else I have to agree, the wall colour is very stunning and easy on the eyes. I have a white sofa myself from decur.co.uk and have been picking between paints, you’ve made my decision easy so thank you!

1. So glad i made you’re choice much easier.
      Thank YOU!

14. Iris Warren says:

I want to renovate my apartment because I don’t like the colors. I thought that I should look for another one because this one is too dark for me. After a long consideration I decided that my apartment is not dark, the colors are dark and I should just change the colors. Now I am searching for new colors. :)

15. Cliodhna says:

This is one of the most beautiful homes I have ever seen. I love the mix of textures and the carefully considered artistic touches. I didn’t want the tour to end. It also helps me feel validated for my expanding collection of vintage pieces ! It becomes so addictive.

1. But……now i almost cry!!!! Thank you for you’re kind and loving words.

Peace & Love

Monteliushome

16. alyssa says:

how did you cover your sectional and have it look tasteful? I really want to do this!

17. Hi Alyssa!
    Sorry for late answer.
    It´s linenfabric. Natural material textils that is bought in extra wide. 3 meter wide so it covers your sofa in just one. My sofa is rather big so i had to splitt the fabric in two. Bought many 9 meters or so.

Good luck!