Ah, how time flies — has there ever been a truer expression? This week showed me a contrast in life and lifestyle from only as far back as 100 years to where we are today. I spent my week juggling two laptops and an iPhone on one hand, and wielding a shovel, knee-high in dirt, building a fence by hand on the other. It made me realize how much work goes into making the things we use, be it a fence or a blanket. As my iPhone ran out of battery and I spent precious time backing up my laptop, I found myself appreciating the slow, old way of doing and making. The craft is most definitely not lost on me this week as I daydream of this gorgeous eyelet indigo throw blanket from Osxnasozi, both in appreciation of the hand-stitching and hand-dyeing, and simply because I’d like to crawl up into it right about now after this hectic week. So bear with my nostalgia of the old and join me in paying tribute to the past with this week’s roundup! —Sabrina
Below is a summary of this week’s highlights from DS and around the web:
- I love glimpsing old, candid photographs, and these street photos of 1960s New York are no exception.
- This illustrated map to Old LA is pretty adorable and leaving me inspired to make my own for my hometown.
- Jill DeHaan’s gorgeous lettering has an old world influence and feeling I can’t shake.
- Wes Anderson recently collaborated with Prada to design Bar Luce, the cafe inside of Fondazione Prada. Methinks I’ll have to venture there some day, but in the meantime, I’m ogling over these photos.
- As we near the end of Mad Men (big sigh!), I’m already feeling nostalgic browsing through The Mad Men Experience, a beautiful overview of the show, its themes and characters. (Be warned, it contains spoilers!)
- Essay: Caitlin shared a beautiful essay on her paint chip collection, I shared a post on Running a Creative Business: What To Do When the Romance Fades
- Home Ec: How to Rewire a Table Lamp
- Food: Morgan Morano’s Espresso Gelato is calling for me!
- Roundup: “What I Love Most About My Home Is…” Photos
- Sneak Peeks: A Valentino Collaborator’s Australian Pad, The Home Where Snow White Grew Up, Two High School Sweethearts’ Sunshiny Studio, A Venice Family Brings Adventure Home, An Apartment Fit For a Foodie and Her Bunny
- City Guide: Berlin, Germany
- Life & Business: Tips & Tricks for Creating a Customer-Catching Storefront Display, How to Stock Your Shop and Keep Customers Coming Back for More, Profile: Gordy’s Pickle Jar, Starting and Running a Business: How to Find What Works
- Before & After: Ananda’s Patio Makeover, A Hudson Valley Home’s Full Facelift