Cushions and pillows are some of my favorite interior decor items to DIY for many reasons. I always feel like the details give the room its personality, so I regularly change up the smaller elements, like soft furnishings and artwork. It’s an easy way to update and refresh a room. Another reason I enjoy updating pillow covers is because they are a blank canvas to unleash your imagination onto. You can paint, sew, weave, quilt, bead, tassel, print, knit or crochet (and the list goes on) any design you like! Mix patterns with more patterns or with block colors or monochrome grids. And perhaps the best of all — add a little shine to any room with this DIY gold foil confetti design. —Fran
- Pillow and cover
- June Tailor Jean-Trix Iron-On Foil Sheets – Gold
- Masking tape
1. Cut the gold foil into thin strips and then cut those strips into small rectangular sections. You’ll probably need around 4-5 strips to cover the triangle on a large pillow and remember, you can always cut out more if you need them.
2. Lay the pillow cover down on a hard surface using a cotton sheet or pillowcase to protect the surface. Iron both to create a completely flat surface to work on.
3. Tape out your triangle design using the masking tape. Your design will be contained within the tape, so bear this in mind when you’re deciding on the size.
4. Lay out the confetti in random angles within the triangle. Try to keep them evenly spaced. Place them all the way to the edge to keep the triangle shape even.
5. The foil comes with a piece of parchment paper — carefully lay this over the foil confetti. Heat your iron to the hottest cotton setting and press over the parchment, moving in small circles for 30 seconds.
6. Move the parchment and iron again until all of your confetti is sealed down. Try to ensure no confetti is covering the masking tape when you iron over them.
7. Peel off all the masking tape.
8. Once the foil has cooled, peel off the glossy, protective sheet from each confetti piece to create a smooth, washable surface.
I love this as a statement pillow, and I’m not the only one! My rabbit decided to photo-bomb the pictures as I was taking these images. I like to think it’s because she loves it, too!