An Inspired, Bohemian Home in the California Desert

Share It

Sometimes I am blown away by stories of homes impacting the people that live in them. I often sit for a few minutes, just taking in this idea – lives changed because of a house and its story. We hear about it happening more frequently when it comes to interior decorating, but when a house’s 100-year-old original design sparks a passion in a new homeowner, that’s an inspiring home. This house at the edge of the Sonoran Desert in Alamorio, CA was built with the original owner’s rug-weaving pastime in mind and has turned a creative desire into a fiber design business for Chy Parker.

Chy, stylist and fiber designer, and Marshal Parker, welder and harvesting manager, found their more than 100-year-old home by word of mouth. When touring the space, the natural light and quirky layout won them over. “One of the rooms in our home is very strangely set-up, with a huge doorway and no hardware for a door, a small closet and a custom built-in shelving unit as well as a little window nook area,” Chy says. “When I asked our landlord about it, he told me his mother was a weaver, that she used to teach at the local community college and would weave beautiful rugs, and this was her craft room. It was then that I got interested in working with fiber, sort of as an homage to the original homeowner. I bought myself a small lap loom and sat for hours figuring it out. After a while I delved into macrame and made myself a few plant hangers and used the leftover for wall hangings. Once I got the hang of it and people began to be interested in purchasing my work, I set up shop.” Chy’s work and love for textiles and fiber pieces are seen throughout the space, mixed with Marshal’s more minimal approach to design.

“Marshal and I definitely have different tastes when it comes to interior decor,” Chy says. “He leans more toward traditional and minimal, while I’m all about clean lines and color! We somehow manage to find an in-between on most things – mixing the original charm of the home with a modern bohemian style, organic and natural – a place to come home to and feel the good vibes instantly.” Their airy home has made their day-to-day more beautiful and, at least for Chy, more inspiring. —Lauren

1. gina says:

Hi …where did you get the rug in picture #2

2. The photography is absolutely beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing… This completely redefines small house designs…

3. Desirae says:

Loving every bit of this home!

4. Juliette says:

Where is the leather sectional from?

1. Tiffany says:

I’m pretty sure this was the West Elm Hamilton Leather Sectional, which it seems is no longer available. The sofa (which just arrived to my home) is still available, I just don’t see the sectional on their site.

5. alana says:

I would also love to know the source of the leather sofa as well as the dining table

6. Chy says:

Thank you all! The area rug in the second picture is from Rugs USA and the leather sectional is from West Elm.

7. Thanks so much for this tour, and for the introduction to Chy’s work—how gorgeous!

8. Fabulous; love all the plants incorporated in each room!

9. Raj says:

Loved the home!!!

10. Lissa says:

I think the things that stood out most to me were the colorful pillows and the amazing growth of plants. Kudos to the gardener. Your home is beautiful.

11. LG says:

Lovely! Where did you get the beautiful overdyed rug in picture 16?

12. Lovely! Stunning! Very Beautiful! I am just in love with that home. I love the cushions, they are those small detail that give the vision of a house. I love just love details and think that they give personality to any home. This home looks amazing, it shines from cleanliness and order.

13. Chy says:

The overdyed rug was found on Etsy. You can get into some detail and see a bit more here: chyparker.com/blog/our-home/part-1

Thank you all for the kind words, It’s so good to finally share our space!

14. Sally says:

I absolutely love this! What is the source for the pillows?

15. Libby says:

What lovely vibes. A true and truly inspiring space.

16. Very well done. your home is inviting and vibrant. I have always been a fan of houseplants, you do not see many homes that incorporate them so well, nor are they as popular as they were in the 1970’s, maybe that is changing. Another vintage trend coming back in style!

17. Catherine says:

Do you know where I can find a similar print of the constellation? I thought there was a detail about that being a print of the sky on a specific date..but can’t seem to find the info now so wondering if I dreamt it!?

1. Chy says:

Hi Cathrine!

I found that print from an Etsy shop, here’s a link:

but you could also try searching ‘vintage lithograph sky map’ etc.

Hope this helps!

18. A.Y says:

i really love the Office ! so neat and feels so comfortable

19. Lyndsay says:

What would you call that media console/credenza? I am looking for something very similar, but can’t figure out how to really search for that specifically. I love the height, but most of that style are longer. I need it to sit under a wall-mounted TV.

Your home is beautiful! :)
    LM

1. Chy Parker says:

Hi Lindsay!

That credenza is from West Elm!

20. Lisa says:

I would also love to know the source of the credenza in pic #10. It’s beautiful!

21. Debbie says:

Hello! This is amazing! Where did you get the couch? x

22. mailoha albaladejo says:

where is the coffee table from?

23. Glory says:

so pretty! What is the white paint color you are using?

24. Hanna says:

Love the butterfly chair! Do you mind sharing where it’s from?

25. loreta says:

would you please share where your bench is from? i have been trying to find that gorgeous still but the smaller version of it, almost like a stool. your home screams comfort and i visit this post often.