A Venice Family Brings Adventure Home

Share It

Meghan and David were hunting down the ideal fixer-upper when they stumbled upon this 1970s tri-level in California. Both having artistic backgrounds meant that the two were eager to design every detail of their space. “We were looking for a house with low ceilings that we could vault. Add some drama!” Meghan says with gusto.

It took about five months to complete the core of the renovations. Throughout all the rewiring, wall-moving and basically total rebuilding, the couple remembers there being some unique renovation laughs. “There was a period for about three weeks where, because of the classic construction-domino effect, we didn’t have a bathroom,” Meghan says. “So I would stop drinking any kind of liquid at 5 pm so as not to have to go… not joking.” For every challenge that came with the renovations, however, there were strokes of luck that kept surprising the couple. The home’s 30-year-old carpet had seen better days, but thankfully underneath all that shag was the perfect slab of concrete. “Having all boys (I am including my husband in that grouping) means that nothing can be too precious,” Meghan says. The concrete surprise, as well as a black leather sofa and black wood floors, were chosen as they’d only get better with age.

When it came to decorating their new place, the family curated items that reflected their rock ‘n roll, unfussy attitudes. Meghan and David love the adventurous stories — real or imagined — that their accessories seem to tell. As you glide through today’s Sneak Peek, it’s easy to imagine the homeowners having gone on all of life’s monumental adventures, but it’s clear after getting to know them that their biggest adventure is still in the making. “I am thankful that it is our very own little base for life’s little adventures. And it’s the backdrop for all our fun, chaotic, important and most special memories,” David and Meghan share. “When the boys are 35 and looking back, this space will be in the background for all that nostalgia. What will future ‘us’ remember about this? That’s why it’s important to me to be considerate of what [we] put in [our] space. It’s, in a funny way, a family legacy.” Enjoy! —Garrett

Photography by Meghan DeRoma

1. robin says:

Meghan!!! This is so inspiring & beautiful! And do I spy a Nicaraguan wall hanging from the Granada market on the wall above the lion? :)
    -Robin from Coffee Bean

1. Meghan says:

Robin!Hi!! Thank you for the kind words…and you are spot on, the little owl is from Nicaragua. Good times, good times!

2. Love this home! It’s so cozy and spacious inside. I am loving the turquoise doors in the front. So creative.

The Office Stylist

3. Lindley says:

Great home – unique to them, as it should be…of course, I may have been swayed by their Airedale!

4. Sophie islip says:

What a lovely creative space- full of imagination!

5. Sarah says:

We have thought about vaulting the ceilings in our ’59 Ranch style in Austin, but have been fearful about the amount of work it might entail, and unsure of how to make it work. How did Megan and David set up the HVAC and electrical outlets, etc with the loss of overhead space?

1. Meghan says:

Hi, Sarah,
      We hired a general contractor…it was, to your point, way more work than we had imagined. It was a bit of a domino effect, a classic construction problem. We had to run all new electrical and hvac, and the ceiling was actually structurally significant so once we removed it we had to support the roof by adding beams. But in the end it was worth the effort! I would contact a local contractor or architect to get an opinion…your structure could be totally different, ya never know.
      -Meghan

6. Christine from MN says:

Very cool space! Love the colors, cool groupings of objects and all your natural treasures. L-O-V-E!

7. Emmy says:

This is such an awesome home with really interesting spaces. I love the juxtaposition between the old painting and the new subway tile too :)

8. Kate says:

I LOVE this home! So relaxing and inviting.

9. Erin says:

Such a cool space, beautiful to hear the story. I love how personal it all is…in style and in how everything was gathered or made.

The reference to the Explorer’s Club is my favorite part, I think…I would love to have an explorer/adventurer aesthetic in my home and it’s cool to see how that’s possible while also being fresh, bright, chic.

10. Robert says:

Hello:

A beautiful home.

However unless the picture of the flag and the dog is flopped, the flag should always be displayed with the blue field of stars to the upper left as a person looks at it.

1. Meghan says:

Hey, thanks so much for your comment, Robert. I was not aware and have fixed the flag. I appreciate you bringing that to my attention.
      Meghan

11. Jeannie P. says:

Lovely home! I invite the owner of the home and others to examine the descriptive word, “tribal” In this case, she’d like to have a “tribal rug” for her living room. I suggest she find more history and accurately state what style she’d like: she’s looking for a Turkish rug? A persian rug? “Tribal” lumps cultures and implies the default white Western culture vs. anything ethnic. Misuse of this word perpetuates cultural insensitivity. This discussion needs to be had more frequently! It’s bothersome, and harmful to see products labeled as “tribal.”

12. Patty says:

What a beautiful and inviting home!! I love all of the details and the fact that so much of the decor was salvaged from flea markets and such! The personal touches and travel treasures make it just perfect. Thanks for sharing Meghan and David!

13. Bob De says:

Absolutely love the house and the people in it!

14. emily says:

what a fun house! i love their bold color choices and how their unusual use of materials…like that cool parachute/curtain. great house tour!