A Grown-Up Brownstone in Brooklyn Heights

Share It

It’s easy for me to keep things because they’ve been useful or good enough in the past. Or because it feels like a waste to buy something new (that I like) to replace something that I already have (that I probably was given secondhand in college). Just this week I got rid of a bookshelf that tilts to the right, which I’ve been moving from place to place for the last eight years. I honestly should have let it go a while ago. There’s nothing wrong with being selective when it comes to big pieces and purchases, but it’s also okay to pull the trigger and to make it a priority to be intentional with a space. For me, an intentionally designed home – even on the cheap – just feels inspiring, refreshed and mature. This Brooklyn Heights brownstone apartment wasn’t just moved into – the new tenants made it a place that reflects their taste and spirit by starting fresh with furniture and hiring a designer.

Ebonie and Dave, both attorneys, wanted to be closer to friends and better transportation to and from work. When they moved from Sunnyside to Brooklyn Heights, they decided to really settle in and make their new apartment into a home. The dingy paint, rough walls and older kitchen were worth the natural light and layout in this 850-square-foot brownstone. “We love our jobs, but we spend a ton of time in sterile office environments. We wanted a home that felt the opposite of that environment – interesting, expressive, calming, and casual,” Ebonie says. Designed by Jill Danyelle and executed by Ebonie and Dave, this home is the inspired, layered and sophisticated apartment that can take them away from the office completely. There are bits of mid-century, coastal and global elements coordinated perfectly throughout the space.

With Jill’s design and direction, Ebonie and Dave have created a refined space they love. “It took quite a bit of work to turn this apartment into a place that felt like home. We moved in during the summer and spent many a weekend painting when we would have rather been hanging in the park. Working with Jill was amazing and I really learned a ton about how to put a room together and the importance of measuring and planning before making any purchases,” Ebonie says. “I really wanted this apartment to feel like home. I think we really accomplished that. I think something about turning 30 makes you want to get it together and get a coffee table! This is our first apartment that has felt grown-up and complete.” —Lauren

SOURCE LIST

Lighting – Crate & Barrel
Painting – flea market
chairs – Craigslist
desk lamp – Etsy
Wall Paint – Chantilly Lace by Benjamin Moore

1. Lauren says:

This home is lovely and beautifully designed, and I hope that my commenting here does not take away from that as it relates more to the editing/writing. I am noticing a serious overuse of the term “intentional” on this site in recent months, and I find there is something very pretentious and holier-than-thou about such terminology. Of all the beautiful homes featured here, how is one more “intentional” than another? If a home isn’t described as such, does it mean that the design is not “intentional” and thus unintentional? It comes across as condescending.

If you are using this terminology to state that the homeowners have been thoughtful about and carefully considered how they’ve decorated their space, then I think this label applies to all of the homes featured on this site and as such it becomes superfluous to mention this every single time. Anybody who cares about their homes and loves design (the way most Design*Sponge readers could be described) is being “intentional”, and so I don’t think you need to try to one-up everyone by saying, sure maybe you’ve worked hard on making your home beautiful, but is it, you know, INTENTIONAL?

(I would say the same also applies to the word “sourcing” and “moment”… very unnecessary and pretentious.)

1. Heather says:

I totally agree with you Lauren!

2. The living room is quite lovely. The brick wall mixed with the blue couch and teal chair just make everything come together. It’s got a lot of character.

3. Nicely done! Would you mind sharing the name of the Ikea cabinets in your office? Wondering if the wooden doors on them are custom? Thanks so much.

4. Alex Chua says:

This apartment looks and feels like it has evolved over time, slowly and thoughtfully. Beautiful work.

5. PhillyLass says:

This is absolutely lovely. So many warm and welcoming details. It looks like a great home for a dinner party!

6. Annie says:

Beautiful home! I especially love the office. Anybody knows who designed the amazing desk lamp?

7. Thanks everyone for all of the nice comments! I am the interior designer who worked with Ebonie and Dave on their home.

Diane, the cabinets are the IKEA cabinets made for IVAR shelving, but we just had them mounted directly to the wall.

Annie, the desk lamp is a vintage piece I found on eBay.

Lauren, I understand your point. I can’t speak for DS, but maybe “intentional” was used here because we came up with a design plan for the almost empty space – the clients had the sofa and dining table – and followed it pretty closely while pulling the apartment together in a few months. I feel there can be beauty in both planned interiors and those that are more randomly pulled together over time.

/JD

1. Grace Bonney says:

Lauren

Jill just answered with what I was going to say but to echo her remark- yes, “intentional” here referred to this couple’s plan to design their house (with the help of Jill) from the get-go. That’s not something we post a lot here (designer-planned homes) so we chose to highlight that fact. I’m sorry if that sounds pretentious to you, that was not our intention.

Grace

8. C says:

I love your place it looks beautiful and so original. I am trying to find some shelves like the pair that you painted gold in your living room. I love that they are open. Can I ask are they FJÄLKINGE? Also, what paint did you use to paint them gold?

9. Hi C.

The IKEA shelves that were painted gold are the VITTSJÖ. I apologize that I cannot remember what gold paint was used, but if you google these shelves and “hack” or “gold” some tutorials will probably come up with paint recommendations. I was a bit skeptical, but they ended up looking really good. Good luck!

10. Joslyn says:

Such a beautiful bedroom! Do you mind sharing what type of material was on the headboard?

11. Raj says:

Loved the lamp in master bed room..

12. Hi Joslyn,

I am pretty sure the headboard is made from seagrass. I came across this one on Craigslist and recommended that Ebonie and Dave grab it. Of course, there are other seagrass headboards out there, but I wasn’t finding what I wanted in our price range and, unfortunately, West Elm no longer makes this item. If you live in Chicago and need it in a full size – today is your lucky day.

Good luck!

13. Oh, I love this home. Seriously, I just want to come over and have a cup of coffee in that living room. It’s so inviting. I’ll be over in about 10, OK? ;)

14. Irina F. says:

Love it! It’s looks cosy but chic at the same time. This will definitely be my inspiration when I move out.

15. Megan says:

Sofa? Anyone know the source? Great apartment.

16. It’s beautiful. The living room is my favorite and love that coffee table. Kudos Jill, great work, and also thanks Lauren for sharing this great post.

17. Sue says:

The sofa, if I’m not mistaken, is the Henry from West Elm. Would love to know which fabric is on this one. I am considering buying a Henry.

18. vinti says:

Amazing apartment – the brick wall gives a special industrial touch. Also like the fact, that you mention, where we can get the furniture from! :-)

19. Audra says:

I’d love to know how you mounted the IVAR cabinets to the wall. I had the same idea, and came across this inviting space in searching for instructions to do exactly what you’ve done in the office. Thanks!

20. Rachel G says:

Is the source correct on the bedside sconces? I scoured Ikea’s website and am not seeing those. Love them and would like to be able to locate them. Thanks!

1. Grace Bonney says:

Rachel

It’s correct, but this post is from last May and sadly Ikea rotates out their lighting pretty often :(

Grace