Studio Tour: Loyal Supply Co.

Share It

Growing up, I thought tool sheds and workshops were pretty magical spaces. There was something about all of those neatly organized tools on pegboards that felt like the key to infinite possibilities. Learning to use each and every one of them was (and still is) a goal of mine and when we moved upstate, Julia utilized existing pegboards in the garage to create the beginnings of our own little workshop wonderland. Kimberly LaFoy and Ryan Habbyshaw of Loyal Supply Co. share our affinity for pegboard workshops so much that they used that classic organizational tool as inspiration for their design store and studio in Somerville, MA.

Working together with Mark Lewis from Unlikely Creatures, Kim and Ryan set out to create a space that functioned like a classic machine shop, with their large printing press at the center of the room, surrounded by smaller tools and functional home and office goods. I love the combination of “for work” and “for play” goods that they carry, and it turns out the curation of the shop was inspired by the owners’ own personal goals: “We work hard, but we also value our time away from the office. So our collection reflects that notion, offering the required materials to literally go fly a kite. Our compilation of items is always evolving, changing with seasons, needs and community interests.”

In addition to Loyal Supply Co.’s retail space, they have a workshop downstairs that acts as the production space for the prototyping and producing of all of their in-house product designs. Upstairs is the company office where Kim and Ryan research and design their goods. Now that I’m away from the “big city,” I find myself really appreciating stores like this that combine form and function well. This fusion makes the drive to visit feel worthwhile and, if you’re not in the Boston area, definitely worth a visit to their new online shop. Today, Kim and Ryan are taking us on a virtual tour of their shop for anyone who can’t visit in person. I know I’m going to be looking at pegboards much differently after this tour — it makes me want to line all our walls with this so we can create impromptu shelving anywhere we want. Thanks so much to Loyal Supply Co. and Joyelle West for sharing this tour with us today! xo, grace

All photography by Joyelle West

1. RANDI BAYNE says:

This store is amazing! I’ll take one of everything :)

2. Margarita says:

beautiful space! Instant obsession with that pegboard idea. Do you know if that kind of pegboard can be find in hardware stores or needs to be custom made? It is brilliant!

3. Kayse says:

what a beautiful space!!!!

4. Linda says:

Love the pegboards so much! This has convinced me to add some in the kitchen. I plan on painting them with chalkboard paint first. Wish I could stay up all night and get started.

5. What a lovely space. I love you styling in your displays. They are simple, functional, and beautiful!

6. Trevor says:

Can I insert myself into their life? This is just so spot on in every way.

7. katie says:

wow, this space is awesome. very inspirational! really love how the pegboards allow so much freedom to change the design around.

8. Wow, talk about an inspiring place to work!

I love how they have repurposed such a backyard shed material to add character to their shop. As for the shop itself, it seems as if I’m going to have to fork some hard earned over!

9. Ingridesign says:

So lovely and organised!

10. Raj says:

It’s really amazing!!!

11. Liz says:

I live in Somerville and was delighted to stumble upon this great little shop last time I was in Union Sq. It’s such a great addition to the neighborhood and greater Boston. There are so many wonderful treasures to peruse, and as an aspiring graphic designer, I was excited to see the printing press and the wonderfully curated selection of design tools and supplies. It’s a great little shop that I will be visiting many, many times!

12. This studio looks great, so nice and cozy! Looks like the perfect place for creative people!