Inside a Century-Old, Contemporary Colonial

Share It

Four years ago, Kelley of Hunt & Gather and her husband, Troy, were both done with grad school and ready to settle down. Grand Rapids, MI was the clear choice, as it would not only provide the inspiration Kelley needed to run her shop, but it would also allow Troy to make his mark at a local nonprofit group. “I wanted a home that had at least one special characteristic, and in this house we found a lot of gems,” Kelley says. The 1915 colonial located in the historic Heritage Hill district of the city had great bones. The stained-glass windows, tall ceilings, wood floors and a fantastic yard were what immediately bewitched the couple. It did take some work, though, to bring out the old looker’s full potential.

The process started with identifying the key areas that the two wanted to update the most. “We started with the main floor — kitchen, dining and sun room — as they were where we entertained most, plus it made the most visual impact.” While the overhaul was fairly drama-free, it proved to be a test of the couple’s perseverance. Over 100 hours went into sanding and refinishing the kitchen cabinets and built-ins alone. Tack on a custom daybed for the sunroom, new carpet and fireplace, and you’ve got a family with a newfound appreciation for the DIY process. All of this hard work was undertaken to achieve one simple goal: To create a space that the couple, their dog, and guests felt was beautiful, yet comfortable. “We have had numerous house guests stay with us for varying lengths — from one month to one year — in the two guest bedrooms. We love having a place where people can come short- to longterm and feel welcome… a place to really express who [we are] creatively and to share meals and experiences with friends and family.”

The construction phase was just the beginning. Then came styling and choosing paint colors. Frequently one of the most irksome of design decisions, picking a home’s hue can quickly eat up some serious time and leave you with a bothersome case of design overthink. Not for these two. Having an extensive collection of quirky accessories inspired Kelley and Troy to paint the entire home white. Leaning on their treasures’ details — and adding a personal touch through styling — provided a major boost of personality to the fresh, white base. “We have a lot of art/special pieces that we like to pop and speak for themselves,” Kelley says. A shift in the couple’s taste from “industrial and vintage to a more refined, polished look,” has created a space that’s welcoming and casual, yet refined and easy on the eyes. Look out for their gorgeous lucite bookshelf and a mixture of cultural styles, both of which make this peek one of my all-time favorites. —Garrett

Photography by Jill DeVries

1. Amanda says:

I absolutely love this home! Cozy with a lot of character.

2. Julie Wylie says:

Beautiful, beautiful home. No other words, just simply beautiful.

3. mary says:

Gorgeous :)

4. Abi says:

I love seeing a home with natural woodwork/trim featured. Thanks! Inspired.

5. Amanda says:

Oh my goodness, this is the most gorgeous home. So much character, so different than any I see on most home tours, in a good way. In the best way. It looks so welcoming and lived in, there are so many things about it I would love for my own home. House goals!

Also in the photo with her dog in it, is that one of the pillows from her shop? The pillow with the leaves on it.

1. Hi Amanda! We do have these pillows in our shop, too. They are $42/each. E-mail me at info@huntandgatherGR.com if you’d like one shipped!

6. Gabi says:

Wonderful home that has such personality.
    Where is that gorgeous lucite bookshelf from?

1. Hi Gabi! The lucite bookshelf is vintage :)

7. vanessa says:

One of my favorites as well. Gorgeous and clean, but cozy enough that I still want to curl up in a corner somewhere! Thanks for the inspiration.

8. Tex says:

love these posts, but i was wondering if y’all could start posting pics of the front (outside) of the houses? I personally don’t know what a contemporary colonial house looks like. Thanks!

1. Grace Bonney says:

Hi Tex!

We always request home exterior shots, but most home owners are wary of showing them because they make a person’s home easier to find in real life. It’s a personal safety issue everyone handles differently, so we provide them when possible (especially when homes are set off in private lots or without house numbers), but completely understand when someone isn’t comfortable sharing that part of their home.

Grace

9. Rob says:

The photoset arrows are locked/stationary! Hallelujah.

10. Oh wow—one featured home’s owner had my same duvet cover, and Kelley and Troy have my same sheets in their master bedroom! West Elm bedding had some good representation lately :)

11. Anna says:

Where is the living room rug from? Absolutely need it for my place! :)

1. Anne says:

It’s the Souk rug from west elm! :)

12. Crystal says:

What a cozy and fun house! Can you please, please tell me where the hanging chair in the living room is from?

1. Crystal, the hanging chair is vintage :)

13. Emily says:

I love the mini subway tile in the kitchen! Can you share the source?

1. Hi, Emily! They are just the smaller subway tile from Home Depot :)

14. Linda says:

Love this feature! I met Kelley at her shop about a month ago and she’s lovely! A beautiful home to match such a fun & warm personality! xoxo

15. C says:

WHOA. BURL/LUCITE BOOKSHELF. HEART STOPPING. !!
    I totally recognized this house… from my pinterest boards! Happy to see the other parts of it!

16. Mary says:

Love it all!!! Wondering if the kitchen stove has a name? Gas or electric?

1. Hi, Mary. It’s a vintage Frigidaire :)

2. Also, it’s electric. Thanks for asking!

17. Anne says:

What a gorgeous home!!!
    I love everything. Literally.
    Could you please tell me where you got the living room curtains from? Love everything you have done a wonderful job, folks!! And I second the question about the stove!

1. Hi, Anne! The living room curtains are from Crate & Barrel and the stove/oven is a vintage Frigidaire :)

18. Raj says:

Wonderful! Loved it..

19. annton says:

what a beautiful and unique home. the last image really sums it up, this is all about personal style and a gorgeous talent to combine. actually, I am in love. greetings from berlin

20. Melissa says:

Hi. Fantastic home. Congrats! I especially adore the mini squares mirror on the mantle. Would you mind sharing the source?

21. Colleen says:

Can you share the paint color in the dining room?

22. Raj says:

Loved the paintings…

23. Carmen says:

Would you please share the dark blue paint color in the bedroom?