Waiting to announce the next hashtag challenge has been so hard for me, because we’re finally tackling my all-time favorite design detail: STRIPES! There’s not a room or corner of our home that doesn’t embrace a good stripe in some way and I think it’s almost impossible to go wrong when you’re dealing with such a bold and classic print. (I even tried to design a stripe tattoo, but it kept looking like a barcode. Whoops.) So for this month’s hashtag challenge, we would love to see YOUR favorite stripes. Whether it’s a photo of your bedding at home, a great couch in a shop or beautiful street art, we’d love to see your photos of the best stripes around town. Just share your photo online with the hashtag #DSStripes and we’ll feature our favorites on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and, at the end of the month, right here on D*S. I can’t wait to see how long it takes me to want to add even more stripes to our home after seeing all of your photos.
Julia and I are headed back to Brooklyn tomorrow for the Food Book Fair and then next week…we get to meet our new foster dog! We’re fostering this sweet rescue pup and, if it works out, she’ll become a new member of our family. Until Monday, I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. Also, thank you again for all of the incredibly kind comments and emails after this week’s essay about fear. I’m still reading them all (some more than once) and they are truly appreciated. xo, grace
- You can now live inside of America’s first shopping mall (it’s been converted to micro-apartments!).
- For a little color inspiration, Garrett is loving Mireia Ruiz’s Tumblr feed.
- Peek inside the Central Park West home of the late great Lauren Bacall.
- We love Atelier Bingo’s colorful prints and pillows.
- One of Julia’s go-to recipes (avocado and cucumber salad) made it onto Smitten Kitchen this week!
- West Elm $2,000 Giveaway: Peek inside our made-over living room and enter to win!
- Must-Reads: Things That Scare Me (a personal essay), After the Jump Season 3 Requests!, A Colorful Home Book, Quick Changes at DS (some new features!), Sheila Bownas Design
- Sneak Peeks: Studio Tour: Blockshop Textiles, A home full of creativity and DIY design, A Spanish-style home in SF, Modern living in a century-old Cleveland home, An Open Industrial Loft in Brooklyn
- Recipes: Delicious Mushroom Ragout on Toast
- City Guide: 24 Hours in Mumbai, India
- Life & Business: Why Customer Service Matters, We Want Your Job (Art Director at Barneys), Profile: Kaye Blegvad
- DIY Projects: DIY Hanging Clock Frame
- Before & After: Pink Bathroom Makeover, Shasta Camper Makeover