DIY Rope Coil Doormat

DIY Rope Coil Mat
There are a lot of different positive and negative aspects to renting. On one hand, you have the opportunity to concentrate on collecting (and creating) furniture you love, but on the other hand, it’s difficult to make the bigger changes that bring all your carefully chosen pieces together. As much as I love my apartment, if I had my way with it, I’d make some big renovations. The first thing on the list would be the floors. I’ve always wanted beautifully light, nordic flooring covered in colorful or textured rugs, creating peaks of interest. Unfortunately, instead of that I’m left with a beige carpet running throughout which just has no personality at all. I’m not letting this stop me from decorating my floors, though, starting with this coiled rope doormat. —Fran

DIY Rope Coil Mat

Materials

-Rope
-Glue gun
-Glue gun sticks
-Paint brush
-Masking tape
-Paint

DIY Rope Coil Mat Materials

Steps

1. Using a hot glue gun, seal the end of the rope so that it doesn’t fray. Leave the glue to cool before starting the next step, or you’re going to get some bad burns!

DIY Rope Coil Mat

2. Begin to coil the rope. Don’t worry about glueing it in place for now. Create a small coil of around two circles. Now take the glue gun and pipe adhesive onto the outer ring. Holding the coil on the opposite side, bring the rope around over the glue. Again, be really careful not to touch the glue. I’m speaking from experience. It hurts!

DIY Rope Coil Mat DIY Rope Coil Mat

3. Repeat these steps using the glue gun to adhere small sections around the coil. You don’t need to glue all of the rope together, but if you would prefer to, you’ll need a lot of glue sticks. Just dotting glue an inch or two apart will keep the coil in place.

DIY Rope Coil Mat

4. For this project you want to make coils of all different sizes to fit together, so don’t worry about getting accurate measurements. Just stop when you’re happy with this first one, cut off the excess rope, and glue the end secure. Also, go back and squeeze a little glue into the center to keep it in place.

DIY Rope Coil Mat

5. Keep making more and more coils in a range of sizes.

DIY Rope Coil Mat

6. Place the individual mats in different layouts until you find the perfect order. You want the coils to be as close together as possible, leaving small gaps in between. Use the glue gun to adhere them together where the coils touch.

DIY Rope Coil MatDIY Rope Coil Mat

You now have the option of leaving the mat raw and rustic or adding some detailing. I’ve chosen to brighten mine up with a little white paint.

7. Section off the area you want to paint with masking tape and dab paint onto the exposed rope. Alternatively you can paint each coil different colors or section off different areas from each coil to give a geometric look.

DIY Rope Coil MatDIY Rope Coil Mat

Now just leave to dry! If your mat is going to get some heavy wear, it’s a good idea to give the rope a coat or two of a waterproof spray to protect the surface and keep it from getting too worn down and dirty.

DIY Rope Coil MatDIY Rope Coil MatDIY Rope Coil Mat

1. Stephanie R says:

This is such a great idea! I was looking into buying a rug similar to this, and now Im so glad that I didn’t! Im totally going to give this a try!

2. clace says:

How does this last more than a week if you are actually using it as a doormat (i.e. to wipe your feet)?

3. This would also make really cool wall art

1. Lauran says:

Oh, good idea Colleen! You could even fashion a “headboard” from these coils. Great project, thanks!

4. Mindi - Dandi Studio says:

Just wondering how much rope you used for this? It looks great!

1. Francesca Stone says:

Hey Mindi! I used about 15 meters for this size mat. Thanks! :)

5. Oh My Goodness this is awesome!! I am absolutely going to make one of these! x

6. Katherine says:

Love this! What a cute way to throw together an accent piece.

Instead of gluing the mat together, you could also thread some twine through a tapestry needle and sew them together. A couple loops for each connection would probably be just fine.

1. Francesca Stone says:

Hey Katherine! That’s a great idea. Especially if you’re planning on making a bigger piece. Thanks for your suggestion :)

7. Belinda Bentley says:

I love this. Definitely going to have a go!

8. Aidel.K says:

Like Colleen, I think this would look great on the wall. I’m thinking I would need to stitch it together (like Katherine suggests), or it would pull apart from the weight on just part of the piece. Or maybe attach a strip of wood across the back?

9. Love, love, love this idea! I’m a renter too and if I ever bought the house, the first thing I would do is rip out the awful tiled floors and replace it with some lovely wooden ones.

1. Francesca Stone says:

We can dream Colleen! ;)

10. Kathleen says:

Love the look of rope! Last Christmas I used this same technique of coiling with the same rope type and coiled around a big bowl…… instant rope bowls!! Filled them with goodies :-)

11. Anne says:

Is the glue strong enough to keep the rug from unravelling after a few weeks? would putting a fabric backing help?

12. MonBanez says:

i’m going to try this one!!!

13. Donna says:

Since I want this type of rope rug on my patio I think I’ll look into the kind of rope used by water skiers. Also you can add to the rug when you want. VERY GOOD IDEA

14. Amanda says:

Where can I buy this type of rope!? I’m search michaels and ac moore and nothing! Maybe outta stock?

1. Nancy Kopp says:

They have it in Hardware stores. The Ace store near me also has it in colors! This summer at my Art Camp, we wrapped papier mache animals and it was so darn cute. Everyone wanted to make one.

15. Bonnie Copeland says:

Lovely, I am making mine with fabrics….I have no intention of someone actually wiping their feet on it, it will be more ornamental. And done on the sewing machine, no hot glue

16. Tash says:

Hi, what thickness is the rope? Thank you.