DIY Naturally Dyed Easter Eggs

Share It

Last year I had the pleasure of meeting Samin Nosrat for the first time and it felt like we all became instant great friends. She is one of the most delightful people in the food (and all-around) community and I’m so thrilled to welcome her for a special holiday DIY. Take it away, Samin!

I grew up celebrating Nowruz, or Persian New Year, where one of my favorite traditions was dyeing eggs to symbolize fertility and abundance for the new year table, or Haft-Sin. Now, as a professional cook, I marvel at the myriad ways food affects our lives and traditions beyond the dining table.

A few years ago, I met Kristine Vejar, whose passion for fiber-based arts is wildly apparent from the moment you step into her beautiful Oakland shop, A Verb for Keeping Warm. I began wondering — could she come up with a dyeing method that would yield delicious, properly cooked eggs with vibrantly colored shells? Does it always have to be one or the other? The answer is a resounding no!

On a recent morning, we invited friends, photographer Terri Loewenthal and artist and stylist Aleishall Girard Maxon, to lend their talents to this tutorial. Terri shot everything on medium format film, and the light was ethereal that day. Aleishall’s delicate touch made everything look even more beautiful than we could have imagined.

These eggs will thrill your eyes and your tastebuds. Use them to make egg salad, radish + egg and butter sandwiches, egg and anchovy toasts, or just snack on them with a little flaky sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

DYEING TOOLS

-Saucepan or stockpot
-Measuring cup
-Measuring spoons
-Strainer
-Funnel
-Tongs
-Mason jars
-Wire rack
-Oil

DYEING MATERIALS

-White vinegar
-4 cups shredded red cabbage (1/2 head of cabbage)
-3 cups yellow onion skins (9 yellow onions)
-3 cups chopped red beets (2 large red beets)
-1 tablespoon turmeric

Optional and luxurious: 1 teaspoon saffron threads

This recipe yields enough to dye 10-12 eggs.

Credits:

Styling: Aleishall Girard Maxon, Studio Deseo

Photography: Terri Loewenthal

Dye Tutorial: Kristine Vejar, A Verb for Keeping Warm

Samin Nosrat, Ciao Samin

1. Caroline says:

How does one actually dye the eggs?

2. Allison says:

Oh Samin, you’re so great, and these eggs are beautiful! However, I can’t see the full instructions on how to make the actual dye. Grace, can you check on that and fix, please? I’m “dying” to make them!

1. Grace Bonney says:

hi allison (and everyone else)

the dye instructions are in the slideshow next to the images of each step- are they not showing?

grace

3. Allison says:

Whoopsie, got it! Thanks for the beautiful tutorial.

4. Darcy H says:

I don’t follow . . . . are there instructions somewhere, or only a list of ingredients? LMK. thx!

5. Longtime Reader says:

Wow. I’ve been following the blog for years, and this has to be my favorite entry ever. Stunning.

6. Christine says:

This is so cool! I want to dye eggs with my daughter, but hate the idea of wasting food. Doing this!!!

7. Lili Christensen says:

There are no images of each step…just the list of cabbage, onion skins etc, and tools needed…no instructions…just ads to the right of the script.

1. Grace Bonney says:

Hi Lili

You need to click the slideshow at the top of the post to read the steps. Have you tried that?

Grace

8. Anastasia says:

Thank you for this amazing tutorial!
    We will do it :-)

9. Maureen says:

Thank you so much for this wonderful tutorial :)

10. Erin says:

I assume you are starting with raw eggs–do they end up fully cooked “hard boiled” by cooking for only 5 minutes in the bath? Seems like a short amount of time to me.

11. Shannon says:

Also wondering if we start with raw eggs…..