A Beautiful Country Home in Rural Germany

Share It

I find that most cliched phrases have a good reason for being so commonly used. And in the case of this German home tour, “When you know, you know,” is the motto of the story.

Writer Katrin Scharl and her husband Moritz, a software developer, spent the majority of their relationship living in Vienna and Berlin. Though they had never lived in the countryside, they were both intrigued by the slower pace of life, open space and fresh air. So on a whim, the couple visited a few homes in Brandenburg, a rural area near Berlin. Intent on finding a small fixer-upper, they saw a few houses they liked, but decided to take one last appointment to see a home that didn’t fit their original specs. Twice the size of the other homes they saw, this home had a grand brick facade, huge acreage and was recently renovated by the previous owners — not exactly the scrappy reno they had planned. But as soon as they saw it, Katrin and Moritz knew it was, “the one.” So they packed up their things and their pets (an Irish setter named Ludwig and four cats named Marlene, Lulu, Emma and Lutz) and moved to the countryside.

Though the renovations by the previous owner were done well, Katrin and Moritz wanted to do some more work to make the space their own. So for the past three years they’ve made budget-conscious changes to the house with an almost entirely DIY angle. From building their own deck and IKEA kitchen to transforming a previously unused garden (left fallow for 50+ years), Katrin and Moritz have put so much of their own hard work — and love — into this home and it’s easy to see how their hard work has paid off (those hand-painted kitchen floors are my favorite). I love how well Katrin has used paint and wallpaper to transform the rooms and I’m blown away by the walled flower garden, orchard and vegetable garden they’ve created in just three and a half years. Katrin says it’s their dream home and it’s clear to see why. Thanks so much to Katrin and Moritz for welcoming us into their home. xo, grace

Additional Sources:

-All paint colors are Farrow & Ball: Katrin used Cornforth White, Down Pipe, Oval Room Blue, Elephant’s Breath, Charleston Grey and Slipper Satin throughout the house.

-Furniture is mostly antique or vintage, mainly from eBay, some things are also hand-me-downs from family.

-Sofa in the living room, dining room table, beds, kitchen and shelves in the library are from IKEA.

-Yellow lamps in the guest room are from Habitat. Rugs are from Urbanara (urbanara.de). Blue chairs in the library are from Impressionen (impressionen.de). Most pillows in the living room are from H&M Home.

1. Such a fabulous home. I love all of the natural light and their color choices!

2. Sarah says:

The entry way combination of wallpaper, white railings, and wood molding is perfection. I adore!! the wood moldings and paint color combinations you chose. The house just looks like a wonderful place to be.

3. José says:

Fallow. Such a great word. Adding it to my repertoire.

4. Katie says:

Swoon! I love the garden and the use of wallpaper. It’s all like an Austen story.

5. Lindsey says:

It’s amazing how the tall, tall ceilings affect the quality of the spaces inside. Beautiful color and finish choices by the owners.

6. Taylor says:

I stayed in a friend’s home in a small Brandenburg town near Belzig and the layout is very similar! It’s a traditional style for the area and the beams are a dead ringer. Beautiful home.

7. Rita Marie says:

Oh my gosh! That kitchen is the bee’s knees! I love that it looks modern, yet has an aged feel, too. And the light woodwork and doorways and all that jazz… swoon!

8. Sally says:

Katrin and Moritz have created a beautiful home and garden. It really is a dream, a dream achieved by hard work and very good eyes for color and style. Their use of wallpaper is inspired. I’m glancing round my home to see where i could put small areas of wallpaper!

9. Caroline says:

I don’t think I’ve ever loved​ a paint colour palette before!! The whole house renders me speechless!

10. Jen says:

I’ve been following Katrin’s blog for awhile now, and am glad to see her home here! The pictures she posts from her garden, especially throughout the summer, are very happy-making.

11. SD Home says:

I love the warm color! The place looks very relaxing. Have you visited here?

12. Anna says:

Wow! That is so beautiful, calm and serene. I would need a bit more color myself, but still I am so impressed.

13. Books galore!!! A great bookshelf is my weakness, along with a fabulous gallery wall!

14. Jordan says:

So gorgeous! I’m usually not such a fan of so many neutrals in one place (like all those greys) but they’ve made it work so well I could see myself living here anyway. Such a relaxed feeling through the whole home!

15. Raj says:

Wow!! Such a Beautiful Home.. Really Loved it…

16. Anna Kirsen says:

I love the Arts and Crafts William Morris wallpaper and really like how the outside of the building hints at a few different styles; and blends them seamlessly together. The internal doors are delicious too!

17. emily says:

man I would love to walk through this home in person, and ask a million questions about picking the perfect paint color and hanging art. what a lovely uncluttered, but personal home. and i love the contrast of the busy exterior with the very, very calm interior.

18. emily says:

Such a very beautiful, calm home!

I’ve been looking at Farrow and Ball colors and it’s great to have so many (inspiring) references here. I noticed that the Additional Resources notes Slipper Satin, but I didn’t see it called out anywhere in the pictures themselves. Would you mind confirming which shots have Slipper Satin in them (I’m assuming it’s used primarily for trim) if possible?

1. Katrin says:

Emily, the bookshelves in the library/my home office and the kitchen cabinets by the wall are painted Slipper Satin. And a few more pieces of furniture that aren´t pictured in the tour. Slipper Satin is a funny color, it works great on furniture but on walls it reads to beige for my taste.

1. Emily says:

Katrin, thanks for the feedback. It’s such a pretty color on the card but I’ve been holding it up to the walls and trying to figure out if it would read as too beige.

You have a beautiful, inspiring home!

19. What a beautiful, wonderfully decorated classic home, with such fabulous custom finishes! It’s both cozy and cool. A felt ball rug would be the perfect finishing touch for any space!

20. Vera says:

Das sieht wirklich gemütlich aus, schönes Haus, würde ich glatt einziehen, wenn es in Süddeutschland wäre!

21. Holly says:

Gorgeous house, you must be very proud of all your hard work! Can you tell me more about your kitchen floor, what materials you used and how you did it please – it looks great!

1. Katrin says:

Thank you Holly! You can read more about the products I used here:
      As for how I did it, there are a lot of tutorials out there on how to paint a diamond patternrd floor… just google it :)

22. Christine says:

Hi Katrin,
    I’m normally not a wallpaper fan, but this one looks absolutely lovely. I know you wrote the wallpaper is vintage and you’ve had it for years, but do you recall at all which company it was from?

1. Katrin says:

Christine, I bought the wallpaper from the site 5qm.de.