13 Amazing Female Podcasters to Follow

Share It

Last week I had 17 hours of traveling on my hands to and from DC and Philly, so I decided to catch up on my listening (and Chinese app playtime) and download some new podcast episodes to listen to on the ride. I found myself wanting to hear something different and unlike the shows that seem to get all the press these days, so I searched for shows hosted by women and women of color. I spent the trip not only discovering new and important stories and points of view, but feeling like I made a handful of new online friends to follow and learn from on a regular basis. Some of these are shows I’ve listened to for years (like JV Club and Hot Grease), and others are new favorites (like Pushing Hoops with Sticks), but each one is guaranteed to get you thinking and talking about the broader topics in not just the creative community, but life in general. So if you’d like to hear what these talented women are talking about (and what the amazing women they interview have to say, too), click through to read more about their shows and find where to listen online. xo, grace

1. Lauren says:

Thanks for the suggestions, Grace! I’m always looking for new podcasts to check out, and I have some driving to do this weekend, so I can’t wait to dig in! My personal favorite female podcaster is Linda Holmes, who hosts NPR’s Pop Culture Happy Hour. It’s a panel discussion that often features other great NPR ladies, like Audie Cornish, Kat Chow, and Barrie Hardymon. They have the most thoughtful (and often hilarious) discussions of pop culture, and they always have great recommendations for new books/movies/tv/etc to check out! It’s the one podcast I never miss.

1. Dawn says:

Thanks for the list, Grace! Gotta check those out. Lauren, I’m addicted to podcasts too and I’m always game to try a show hosted by interesting women. I love NPR’s podcasts. Especially Serial, but who doesn’t love that one… right? Here are a few lesser known shows that that I enjoy: A geek girl show called “Anomaly” http://anomalypodcast.com and a gamer girl show called “Girl Tribe Gaming”. Both are loads of fun.

2. Melissa says:

Thank you for this list! It drives me bananas that people are still creating lists of “Podcasts to Try” and include This American Life, The Moth, Radiolab…those are some of the most popular podcasts of all time!

Excited to try out some of the ones you’ve listed as more conversational, which I personally prefer over the more over-produced podcasts (coughRadiolabcough).

I might also recommend “Bonnie & Maude,” each episode they talk about a movie or tv show from their “femme-centric perspectives.”

3. Cori Magee says:

Thank you for these suggestions, they all look amazing!

4. Rory says:

Thanks for the awesome suggestions! I have one more to add to the list. Anne Friedman and Aminatou Sow are long distance best friends who record their musings on pop culture, feminism, politics and periods biweekly on “Call Your Girlfriend”: http://callyourgirlfriend.com/

1. They’re amazing! Was just listening to their latest this morning :)

5. Suzanne says:

For anyone with a side hustle, creative project or any type of self-employment, I recommend Being Boss: http://www.lovebeingboss.com/It's hosted by Emily Thompson (of Indie Shopography) and Kathleen Shannon (of Braid Creative).

1. Kandy says:

I second Being Boss!

1. Clio says:

Yes! Definitely Being Boss! I’m addicted ;)

6. Rachel says:

Yay! I love Black Girls Talking! They are so fun and smart and I feel like I’m hanging out with good friends every time I listen to them.

7. sunshine says:

. Thanks Grace for the suggestions, especially the POC’s. Keep on keeping on!

8. Patricia says:

I can’t wait to try these, Grace. I have a podcast to add to the recommendation list, Call Your Girlfriend. The two very funny hosts, Ann Friedman and Aminatou Sow, address the lack of diversity in podcasting—as well as other areas of modern life—and have given practical encouragement to women who are interested in starting a podcast, detailing exactly how they got their podcast up and running. (P.S. As a devoted fan of Radio Cherry Bombe, I’m THRILLED to learn that Julia new season will be starting soon.)

1. Julie says:

I was going to suggest CYG too! They are hilarious and thoughtful and I always find myself wanting to jump in the conversation!

9. Caroline says:

Chiming in to agree with Rory and Patricia that Call Your Girlfriend is amazing. Aminatou and Ann never fail to make me laugh and to make me think.
    Looking forward to checking out some new-to-me podcasts from your list of recs!

10. Lisa says:

Thanks for sharing your personal favorites of the podcasts because it gives me somewhere to start. :-)

11. Laura says:

I’m definitely adding these podcasts to my list; just the other day I was annoyed that I haven’t really added anything new to my playlist in a while. This American Life is fine, but you kind of know where it’s going, you know? Anyway, I did just start listening to Radio Cherry Bombe and I am super excited that there will be a season three. Thanks!

12. steph says:

Thanks for all of these tips! I always love hearing about new podcasts to try. One more to suggest is Small Answers: https://soundcloud.com/smallanswers quirky stories about big life topics.

13. Yay for podcasts! With a standard poodle who needs a couple of walks every day (the Pepper man), I am always looking for something new to listen to. And extra happy for some diverse ones.

I’m committed to reading (We Need Diverse Books <—— great group!) and listening to diverse voices this year. Book Riot is a good source and an advocate for more diversity in books if anyone is looking for suggestions.

Glad you'll be back with your podcast too.

14. Angelica says:

Always looking for new podcasts. Thanks for sharing!

15. Anna Sale is kind of my Person Crush—you know: the person who seems to have such a cool, creative job, and just seems so nice. I always love DS&M.

Can’t wait to check out Strangers. Thanks for the new ideas!

16. Ngaio Parr says:

What a great list – I’ll be subscribing to these for sure! Another I’d recommend for creative business types would be Elise Gets Crafty and This Girl Means Business.

17. Susanne says:

I never listened to podcasts but will definitely check them out, thanks for the inspiration!

18. Nicole says:

Did I miss something? Where has your amazing podcast been??

1. Grace Bonney says:

Nicole

Mine? I’m on hiatus until June- but “After the Jump” will be back soon (I announced that on my last show in December 2014). Until then you can listen to archives here: http://www.heritageradionetwork.org/programs/79-After-the-Jump

Grace :)

1. Nicole says:

Ah! I must have missed that. Thanks, I’m looking forward to the new “After The Jump” episodes. Also, thanks for these suggestions!!

19. Jenn says:

I’d like to add Being Boss to this list. Kathleen & Emily host the show and occasionally have guests and they are AWESOME!

20. Kathleen says:

Great list but I have a minor correction. The Kitchen Sisters are currently producing a bi weekly podcast called Fugitive Waves. You can find it at radiotopia.fm and in all the usual podcast places.

21. karen says:

I love listening to the Satellite Sisters. They have been podcasting for a few years together and they make you feel like you are part of their family.

22. Morgan says:

Nerdette Podcast is a great one too! It’s hosted by Greta Johnsen and Tricia Bobeda. They are doing a GOT series for all you lady nerds out there.

23. happy to see our buddy janet on the list!

24. Claire says:

I’m more or less adding every single one of these to my podcast queue (podcasts make the BART commute and dish washing actually pleasurable!). I looked up the Kitchen Sisters and I found that their podcast, Fugitive Waves, is already up and going for 2015. Happy listening!

25. Moraa says:

Hey Grace! Thanks for sharing this list. I’m new to podcasts, but just started one you might enjoy: Last Name Basis. It’s hosted by Francheska Ramsey and her husband Patrick! Check it out if you can. And I will check out yours!

26. Sophie says:

ANOTHER ROUND!!! It’s amazing!! I can’t recommend it enough!

1. McNeill says:

I second Another Round!!! Super, super funny, while also exploring serious questions of worth, identity, mental health, gender, race, etc. Every single episode has me laughing out loud, but also thinking.

27. Nache says:

Great list! Another one for those interested in stories of Fashion Truck owners and boutique owners check out the Can I Park Here podcast — http://startafashiontruck.com/podcast

28. Taylor says:

Ah, so happy to have found this list. Always on the lookout for new podcasts to listen to while I work and knew I could come here to find some good suggestions.

Grace, I just have to say yours is still one of my favorites and I always go back and listen to old ones. :)

29. Annie says:

Great list!
    Also, some friends started this podcast a few months ago. It’s wonderful and by some awesome women who are a “creative team of women of color who are committed to social justice, living, and being free. We are inspired by LaVerne Cox’s concept of “possibility models” and the growing representation of marginalized voices in all forms of social media. The Get is our effort to take up space, to share our voices, and to encourage our listeners to do the same. ”

1. Carol Jean Gallo says:

I am a massive fan of The Get – so I second this recommendation with unbridled enthusiasm!

30. Marie says:

Some of my friends created this funny podcast. It’s like weekend update hosted by two awesome ladies. It’s only two minutes long, so it’s a quick listen

31. Ann says:

I love this list – it makes me excited to get listening to the new discoveries!
    I’m a woman (hi!)and I have a podcast in Australia that’s all about how people relate to their environment. I feature all sorts of people – like this scientific team who went searching for the biggest whale in the world in Antarctica:

Anyway, it’s called Off Track it’s available on iTunes and it’s a bit different from the style of listening you’ve got here already. Happy listening everyone!

32. Jill says:

Great list! I would suggest you check out OnBeing with Krista Tippett. It is wonderful.

33. anonymous says:

TWO. DOPE. QUEENS.

1. Grace Bonney says:

Anon

I love them- I linked to them in last week’s roundup. Their show hadn’t started yet when we wrote this post.

Grace

34. Awesome!!! I have a podcast where I only interview women & I do that to increase the amount of female role models in the media.

Please do check it out

35. Rachel says:

Great list! I would also suggest Two Dope Queens and Gastropod

1. Jessica says:

I second Two Dope Queens!!! I am in love with Jessica and Phoebe. It’s the podcast I most look forward to every week.

36. Stacy says:

How do you follow The Spin on iTunes? I can’t figure out how to find it!

37. Nahanni Rous says:

Thank you for this great list! I’d like to add Can We Talk, which I produce and host for the Jewish Women’s Archive: jwa.org/canwetalk. It’s also on iTunes.
    Nahanni

38. Nahanni says:

Hi again– let me correct that url: https://jwa.org/canwetalk
    Thanks!

39. Kestrel says:

A fantastic roundup! I host a podcast called Conscious Chatter – where I talk to people connected to the global garment supply chain, with hopes to impact a better future for fashion. You can tune in here if you’re interested in checking it out! bit.ly/ConsciousChatter