This Ranch-Style Home Brims with Nostalgia

Share It

Cora was a perfectionist. 100 years old, she never let a cobweb linger or a spill last more than a few seconds. Dedicated to immaculately maintaining the integrity of her 1950s charmer in Grand Rapids, MI, she left its second owners — Suzanne and Josh Brandsen of Selected & Collected — with a perfectly preserved home to call their own. The couple has always had an eye for retro, but it wasn’t until they bought the home from Cora that they really let their love of vintage flourish. The ranch-style house is filled with some of their favorite pieces, as well as overflow from their online store.

Seven years ago, when Suzanne and Josh moved into the home, they weren’t exactly sure what influences they should turn to when styling. While some decorators like to play against a home’s architecture, the couple decided to let the mid-century touches influence the furniture and accessories they chose for each room. The outside of the home was just as important to Suzanne and Josh as the inside. The two love spending time in the garden, and they even started a raspberry patch with shoots from Suzanne’s grandpa’s batch. This love of plants and greenery can be seen inside the home as well; hanging plants and potted pretties are abundant throughout. While they love the vintage theme of the space, their goal is for their home to be ever-evolving. Since the two have a passion for selling vintage and mid-century furniture, the look of each room is in flux. “Our friends and family laugh at us because there is always something new or different when they come over,” Suzanne says. “We like change, and there are few pieces of furniture in our house that we won’t sell when something better comes along.”

I totally relate to Suzanne and Josh’s desire to always keep their home’s style “on the move” with new pieces here and there. In a time when various decor options are more accessible than ever, I rarely keep my home’s look stagnant for too long. So take a peek at this gorgeous home as soon as you can, because it may be your only chance to see it as it stands now. While some items have made a mark on Suzanne and Josh’s heart, it sounds like this house’s look is fleeting, making this peek that much more special. Enjoy! —Garrett

Photography by Suzanne Brandsen

rove-concepts

This Sneak Peek is brought to you by Rove Concepts – offering high quality, affordable furniture and home décor that pays homage to iconic classics of the past. See their full range of mid-century style pieces here.

1. Denise says:

What a sweet story on how they ended up in the house. They did a fantastic job on preserving the original feel of the home – every room looks just right.

2. Susansa says:

Ooooooh!!! What a lovely home the decor is P E R F E C T ! I’ve become very fond of ranch houses, I like the single floor layout and open feel many of them have. Thanks for sharing your home w/us. p.s. – Nice stack of Nancy Drew (?) books!

3. Julie Wylie says:

What a lovely home (+ so fun that it’s in my city too)! My mom actually has the same light fixture that’s above their dining table + we used to have those Pyrex canisters growing up. So fun to see those things in another home. Very beautifully decorated.

4. Lynne says:

That is the best cat cameo ever!

5. I love all the plants in the home. My cat would never allow it!

6. I can definitely relate. I love keeping my home neat and tidy. This is such a beautiful home by the way! I am loving how cozy and welcoming it is.

7. Suzanne says:

Thank you everyone! We’ve never done anything like this before and it was an honor to be featured here. :)

I’m always posting more random vintage finds/shots around the house at “suzannebrandsen” on instagram if you’re interested!

8. Rachel says:

Love the house! So fun and comfortable.

Does anyone know what plant is in the pink planter on the mantle? It’s in other spots throughout the house too and I can’t figure out what it is but I love it!

1. Grace Bonney says:

rachel

i’ve been looking all morning and i think it’s crassula muscosa, or “toy cyprus”.

the larger one to the left is Euphorbia trigona.

i’m still going to keep looking ;)

grace

9. At-Hom says:

This story is really sweet and makes the heart happy. I love how they incorporated vintage designs with modern vintage pieces. They work really well together in the space. It will be great to be able to see all the new pieces they incorporate as they come in.

10. Sarah G says:

In love with this house–totally jealous of all the vintage.

11. Aidel.K says:

I love all the plants, and I’ve slowly been trying to add more to my home. I would be interested to hear about handling water around them–especially the hanging plants. Do they have drainage holes? If so, do they drip on rugs or furniture? If they don’t, how do you keep from drowning them? The brass rail by the window is lovely!

12. It’s like going back in time!

13. Jocelyne says:

Hi – Love the way you styled your home… it is welcoming and bright! We have a similar fireplace but the stone is darker… we don’t really want to paint it white. From the photos, it looks like you added a treatment to the brick. If so, what did you use? It looks great!

14. Carla says:

That vintage photograph is Spirit Island on Maligne Lake in Jasper National Park in the Canadian Rockies! I recommend seeing it in person!

15. Suzanne says:

Thanks everyone!
    Rachel- Sorry, I’m no help. Its was not labeled when I bought it but I agree with Grace on the “crassula muscosa”.
    Aidel.k- Most of the plants have a removeable pot inside the outer pot for drainage. Sometimes I prop the smaller inner pot up with an old yogurt container or something so they’re the right height. As long as it isn’t visible! :) For the few that don’t have drainage, I try not to water them very much.
    Jocelyne- We haven’t changed the fireplace since we’ve been here but it does seem to have a whitewash treatment of some sort, just on the very outside surfaces of the brick. I have gone through stages of wanting to paint it or further whitewash it, but as of now no plans to change. These bricks were a pretty light color to begin with. I hope that helps!
    Carla- THANK YOU! We’ve always wondered, and had honed in on the Canadian Rockies somewhat but not the specific location. So. Many. Discussions.

16. Rachel says:

Grace-

I think you are right! Thanks so much. Now I have to make a stop at my nursery where I will probably get myself in a little trouble and buy too many plants!

1. Grace Bonney says:

rachel-

have fun!

g :)

17. Peggy Nielsen says:

Well now, this is just delightful! When can I see it in person? My favorite is the white fur piano bench cover. It just makes you want to sit and enjoy.

18. Linda says:

Love the cat! And your home is gorgeous too!