Scandinavian Styling in a Swedish Homestead

Share It

Scandinavian style, to me, has always meant strictly Scandinavian furniture design, white walls and minimal accessories — almost textbook. I’ve always found it to be beautiful and simple, but I had no idea how lovely it could be when mixed with layered, patterned and vintage pieces. When I stumbled upon Sofia’s home on Instagram, I learned again that style is what you make it and living outside of a design formula creates more meaning and even more beauty.

Shop owner, photographer and stylist Sofia Jansson and musician Kristo Jansson moved from a tiny apartment in the country to a large 1913 home in the city of Katrineholm, Sweden. “When we found out that I was pregnant with twins and we already had two kids under 3 years, we decided to move to the town both Kristo and I were born in,” Sofia says. “We had never thought to move back, so everything happened very fast and without planning. I hadn’t seen the house before buying it. Kristo was in Katrineholm and took some pictures but I was too pregnant. Even though we had four children under the age of four, we started at once with a big renovation of this house. This is nothing I’d really recommend, it was a real chaos for some years. We have renovated everything except the bathrooms.” While an unexpected move and a giant renovation are a lot to go through, the results are pretty, airy and bright with room for everyone.

Over the seven years they’ve lived there, Sofia and Kristo’s home has been styled with incredible objects and furniture. By mixing vintage pieces in a modern way, this Scandinavian home has its own personality that feels genuine and effortless. “Our home really reflects who lives there,” Sofia says. “We have collected things we love and I feel that our home is us.” —Lauren

Photography by Sofia Jansson

SOURCE NOTES

Wallpaper in TV room and Liv’s room are William Morris
Wallpaper in Viggo’s room is Ohoy by Photowall
Wallpaper in Nomi’s room is Blossom by Mr Perswall
Almost all furniture is vintage

1. avital says:

hi sofia and kristo. we met in skopelos greece this summer at sofi’s… so nice to see your beautiful home featured here in design sponge. i absolutley love your style, it has the exact balance that i appreciate so much in home design, between the airy and clean white, and the warmth and colourfulness. i recognised that its your home right away because i follow your blog, and still its nice to see it from some new angles. so thank you for the beauty and the insperation. best regards, avital

2. I’m really loving how white or light grey floors brighten up a space. I also love the pops of kitschy wallpaper!

3. Snappystreet says:

So light and airy, a dream house!

4. Amanda says:

Absolutely beautiful! All the more impressive that the family created this space with four little ones under foot!

5. Jacqueline says:

I came across Sofia’s instagram few weeks ago. Imagine my delight on seeing her house featured here today – it is one of the most beautiful houses I’ve ever seen! :)

6. Caris says:

What a gorgeous, dreamy home! The pictures are lovely, Lauren. The rooms with the quirky, muted wallpapers look lovely against the white walls. I love the piano corner and I adore how the house looks well lived-in!

7. Vic says:

What a gorgeous place to work and live. It must have taken many years to find all the lovely pieces in your home and to arrange them so perfectly in harmony and for ease in your lifestyle. I’m crossing my fingers i can one day have a home like yours!

8. jacqui says:

Love the this very chilled out home. Great!

9. Insatsrör says:

So nice and stylish house) Love that is so airy..

10. Madlyn says:

What a beautiful light-filled home!Amazing windows!And i love the wallpapered bedrooms.The large soft floral is incredible.

11. Anthony says:

This is my favourite Sneak Peek i’ve seen in a long time. So elegant, so beautiful, so LIGHT!

12. Bérangère says:

The space, the light, the wallpaper, what a beautiful home and beautiful photos!! It’s all flowing with ease and feels so airy. Love the layers and that one room leads to an other and what a treat to find that secret sun porch!!! Wow.

13. sarah says:

I love the large scale floral wallpaper in the girls room. Would you be willing to share its source?

14. We love the mix of airy and white with vintage and eclectic touches – so beautiful!

15. emily says:

this home has so many enviable pieces of furniture! I can’t stop looking at those library bookcases and that piano. and, of course she knows the way to make a statement on the wall. lovely, lovely home!

16. Stephanie Jane says:

Love, love, love this home. We’re also in the middle of (slowly) renovating our home and I definitely lean Scandinavian. Love the white, fresh backdrop that allows our furniture and belongings to take center stage. The light in their home is just gorgeous too! I would love to find a secret sunroom in our reno, but alas, I’ll have to swoon over theirs. Beautiful!!

17. sofia says:

It´s a home:) Fab!

18. sunny says:

I’ve been a fan of Sofia’s for years! So glad to see her beautiful home featured here!

19. Abigail says:

Wow, that porch! So hard to believe someone would cover that up. It’s my favorite part of the tour!

20. lis says:

I’m wondering if you know the artist responsible for the ship painting in Viggo’s room? I love it! Thanks!

21. ELIE says:

I love the piano!! Could you tell me the name of this ?
    I would like to find the same !