Peek Inside World’s End Farm + Saipua Plant Sale

Share It

Over the course of my time on the Internet, I’ve seen a lot of really incredible businesses come and go. Some have stayed the course for the better part of a decade and continue to inspire me with their dedication, passion and quality. Saipua is one of those businesses. I remember first discovering Sarah Ryhanen’s floral business back when she had a small shop on Van Brundt Street. I was an immediate fan of Sarah’s loose, garden style and was excited when she agreed to join us here as a guest blogger and then as a weekly blogger for her column, Weeder’s Digest. Since then, Sarah’s floral business, which she shares with her partner Eric Famisan, has gone on to produce some of the most breathtaking weddings, events and photoshoots I’ve seen — not to mention inspire an entirely new generation of floral designers.

Four years ago Sarah and Eric decided to move to upstate New York and buy a home and farm where they could grow their own flowers and, eventually, support their floral work entirely from their own crops. The shift from Brooklyn to the farm inspired a major shift in the business, too. “Our mission has really galvanized in the last year,” Sarah says. “We now aim to use flowers as a catalyst to inspire people to pay attention to their natural environment; ideally inspiring them to take some action to tend to and preserve the bits of nature that remain intact around us in the city.” I’ve been so inspired by seeing Sarah and Eric work to turn their once-dormant farm into a working, breathing home for their passions and hard work. It’s easy to become separated from the process of growing and to forget just how much work goes into the flowers we see in stores. I really appreciate that Sarah and her team are working hard to explain the full life cycle of how flowers come to be in a sustainable way. I think it’s part of a bigger, shared mission we all have to know where our belongings come from.

This weekend Sarah is having a HUGE plant sale at their Brooklyn shop to support the farm and the building of their first hoop house. I’m so sad to miss this for the first time this year, but if you’re in the NYC area, this is definitely worth visiting. The sale starts at 10 am and will end when they’re sold out. For those of us who can’t visit in person, Sarah has been kind enough to share some photos of their stunning farm and house, World’s End. If you’ve ever wanted to take a mental escape somewhere beautiful, here is your floral daydream material. Thanks so much to Sarah for sharing this with us. Click here for more info on the sale! xo, grace

1. oltyrrell says:

G.A.S.P. I dont’ even know which image to comment on first…..such a gorgeous, gorgeous home. The image of the bathroom and floral arrangement actually took my breath away. The colors, the light, the sink, the flowers, everything. Such beauty. It’s funny to see for me, I grew up on the East Coast and miss the lush tangled green of their surroundings. Now living in The Southwest (and working at a native plants nursery!) I see a very different landscape, trees, plants, and of course flowers. Thanks for this feature today. Made me happily home sick and brought back good memories.

2. Ina Nuvo says:

really great! just love huge gardens :)

xo
    Ina

3. Jay says:

Whoa. That place is BANANAS AMAZING. What an inspiration, thanks for sharing!

Can someone tell me the name of the plant in the bathtub photo, the big green one in the upper lefthand corner?

4. Eva says:

Pretty sure the flower in #6 is a bearded iris, not an orchid! But it is a pretty amazing specimen.

5. I love how there’s at least one dog in all of these shots!

6. Sally says:

Wonderful photos. I love the brooding colours.

7. Hannah says:

Saipua has been such eye candy to me the past several years. And even though I live in Chicago and probably will never enjoy an actual arrangement from there, Sarah’s pictures and writing make my heart very happy.

8. jess says:

Oh my…I needed to see these pictures today. Beautiful! Thank Grace!

9. kim says:

love everything she does – her aesthetic has defined floral design these last couple of years – i wish there was a medal!

10. Debbie says:

I am so in love with these colors. So much painting palette inspiration. Gorgeous!

11. Sig says:

Yep, I’m seconding Eva: photo #6 looks like iris to me, too. And whoa what a plant paradise! Yes please!

12. Wow this farm is amazing. The orchid is stunning and all of the animals look so happy. Great place.

13. Claire says:

Wow. Thank you! Seriously – thank you for brightening my day. Absolutely magical!

14. Peter says:

Jay:
    The plant in the bathtub photo seems to me to be Begonia ricinifolia “immense.” The name indicates that the leaves resemble a castor bean plant and it really does grow quite large. The petioles also have beautiful red structures. I think you can buy it through the website of Taylor’s Greenhouses in upstate New York. Agree with Eva, the plant she comments on does seem to be a bearded iris and not an orchid–stunning plant photo, though.

15. Megan Cain says:

I’d love to see a tour at peak harvest and hear about some of their favorite flowers growing on the farm!

16. Angela says:

Sarah has been my girl crush forever. Everything she touches turns to gold. It’s beauty overload!