Modern Meets Rustic in a 1900s Farmhouse in Bell Buckle, TN

Share It

I sometimes fantasize about moving to the country and living in an old farmhouse that allows for a slower, more intentional way of life. (I’d have dogs and barn cats and may even raise chickens in this dream of mine!) As it turns out, this dream was a mutual one that came true for Elizabeth Ulrich, her husband Will and their three dogs, Nigel, Mumford and Topher. As she explains, “We stumbled upon the listing for this farmhouse on Craigslist, and less than an hour later we were touring the space and agreeing to the lease!” The creaking floors, the beadboard walls, the tall windows and all of the original architectural details sold Elizabeth right away, and — before they knew it — they were moved into this 2,520-square-foot farmhouse, just an hour outside of Nashville in Bell Buckle, Tennessee.

Will is a teacher and runs a podcast network and Elizabeth is a stylist and interior designer who also owns a vintage prop house, Stockroom Vintage. They both work from home (when Elizabeth isn’t on set), so every room — from their bedroom, living room and even their kitchen — has to function as a clean, cozy, soothing workspace. But their home wasn’t always this picture-perfect. Every wall had to be repainted, the fireplace that was affixed with layers of crinkled tissue paper (eek!) had to be restored and the floors are still uneven, calling for wood shims under nearly every foot of furniture. It took a lot of work to fix up and it’s ever-evolving, but Elizabeth and Will like it that way. “We love adding pieces, changing up artwork and vignettes and keeping things fresh.” As part of this exercise in evolving design, Elizabeth plans to host styling workshop retreats at their home where fellow creatives will bunk up and come to relax, refresh and be inspired.

Though they’ve only lived in this rental home for just over seven months, it’s the perfect place for Elizabeth and Will, who love to cook, hang out in bed with their adorable dogs and go for lots of nature walks. And after such a long, cold winter, they’re looking forward to hosting many backyard summer get-togethers spent fireside (where’s my invite?!) –Sabrina

Photography by Alissa Saylor Photography

1. Kate says:

Beautiful! Lovely colors! Very happy to see so many spaces from the middle of country lately!

2. Amanda says:

I’d love to know the bedroom paint colours. It’s exactly what I’m hoping to create in my current bedroom.

3. Holly M says:

Nigel’s little face is too cute! Love the house too :)

4. I love the beautiful colors used here. I like the orange chair too!

5. Lindsay says:

She has such a beautiful home! I love all the small collections throughout and the beautiful colors!!

6. Elizabeth says:

Thanks, everyone! Amanda, the paint colors in the bedroom are Swiss Coffee and Stonington, both from Valspar.

7. Rollie says:

I’d also love a breakdown of the paint colors. Especially the kitchen/dining, living room, and studio!

8. Morgan says:

I love all the vintage touches! Also those bedside tables are amazing!

9. Elizabeth says:

Here is the breakdown of paint colors by room:

Bedroom: Valspar in Swiss Coffee and Stonington
    Bathroom Valspar in Portland
    Kitchen: Valspar in Slate Court
    Living Room: Olympic in Stormy Weather
    Mud Room: Valspar in Portland
    Studio: Olympic in Alpine Shadow

10. Jess says:

I can not put into words how dreamy your home is. Your hard work paid off! I don’t even know you, but I could not be happier for you, your husband, and three pups! Enjoy your house in the country!

11. Love this design and the colours !

With love from London, Hayley x

12. Jenni says:

Wow. My dream home…so clean and bright, but not the least bit cold. Beautiful colors throughout, and lovely personal collections/storied pieces. Great!

13. madlyn says:

This has to be the perfect farmhouse! Thank you for sharing and hugs and kisses to your adorable dogs.

14. Micaela says:

This is the most beautiful home I’ve seen yet. Every detail is truly inspiring. Thank you for sharing your home. Hope you enjoy the country life.

15. Megan says:

Absolutely beautiful!

16. Lisa says:

What a sunny, delightful, happy home. I am sure you regret not purchasing the sister paintings — Isn’t it poignant that they are now separated. The lamp over the little table in the bedroom — Is this something you purchased new? I really like it! Cheers, Lisa

17. Elizabeth says:

Thanks, Lisa! It really does kill me that I couldn’t buy the other portraits. I’m super emotional at estate sales because I can’t imagine so many family heirlooms being sold and scattered–I feel a responsibility to scoop them up and treasure them as if they were my own.

Aside from the lamps on our bedside tables, which are from Target, all of the other lamps in our bedroom are vintage thrift finds.

18. Chelsea says:

I love EVERYTHING about this house!!!!!! Especially that kitchen—what a dream!

19. Naomi says:

Beautiful, beautiful home! Love it all! Your home reflects your heart!
    xoxo

20. Kelsey says:

That bedroom is gorgeous!!! I would love to know where that bedding is from, especially those cozy striped pillowcases!

1. Elizabeth says:

All of the bedding is from Target, but the striped and floral pillows are handsewn with fabric from JoAnn.

21. Jessica says:

This is hands-down my favorite house ever featured here. Beautiful.

22. I love the pop of yellow! This room has the perfect combination of modern and rustic. It looks so cozy and welcoming.

The Office Stylist

23. Liz says:

Elizabeth, This is my dream home! What wonderful styling and use of vintage/thrift finds! Thanks so much for sharing. I’ll be using pretty much every room of your house as inspiration for my Brooklyn apartment :)

24. Rachel says:

I love this place! I move countries often so I can’t indulge my inner ‘collector’, but looking at these photos makes me so nostalgic for poking around markets and junk shops. Oh, the markets in Japan…. you would love them. Rachel from Costa Rica x