Hidden Potential in a Four-Story Michigan Home

Share It

I love hearing stories about people finding a passion they never knew they’d have, and it changing their paths completely. I can’t get enough of it, really. There is so much more to us than we realize or can know. When Veronica and Jeremiah Hamlet discovered an interesting house that needed a good dose of renovation and design, the home got a new look and Veronica found a new career.

Veronica, an interior designer, and Jeremiah, a professional basketball coach, were looking for a large home with a small budget. They were shown a four-story foreclosure in an unfamiliar neighborhood and realized it was too much of a gem to pass up. “We found this diamond in the rough that no one wanted to take on because of all the work it needed,” Veronica says. “High ceilings and beams, tongue-and-groove paneling, brick in the den, high ceilings upstairs, and paneled ceilings in the top bedroom — it was these interesting features that made us choose this home.” It took eight months to renovate and design and it is now a beautiful home with plenty of room for their four children, Isaiah, Hadassah, Saraiah, Israel, two dogs and frequent guests. And Veronica kept going.

The home’s mix of industrial, bohemian, traditional, vintage and global pieces makes Veronica’s natural knack for interior design evident. “We renovated it top to bottom in the interior and some exterior work,” Veronica says. “It was loads of work and we won’t do it again for a while, but now have learned amazing things about homes and the process of renovating. Upon completion of renovating I had requests to help others decorate and design their home. It was this hidden passion that hadn’t come to full surface yet.” Veronica now runs her own interior design business, Hamlet Interiors, and works as a head designer for another company. Veronica and Jeremiah’s home is hospitable, cozy and gorgeous. The house has changed and they have changed because of it. I love that.

Photography by Dave Kingma

Paint Color – American White by Benjamin Moore
Colorful wood bowl – One of a Find
Black bowl – Hobby Lobby
Bowls – Target, West Elm, World Market
Gold storage rack – Target
Industrial lamp – One of a Find
Constellation print – vintage geography book
Wood turning tray – World Market
Pulls – Restoration Hardware
Counters – Quartz

Saraiah’s Room
Paint color – Super White by Benjamin Moore
Throw – Anthropologie
Orange pillow – Anthropologie
Bird pillow – sewn by mom
Hello print – Hobby Lobby
Chair – Hobby Lobby
Orange throw – HomeGoods
Rug – Rugs USA and vintage
Curtains – World Market
Sheepskin – HomeGoods
Duvet – Target
Bird garland – World Market
Crib – Burlington Coat Factory
Net – World Market
Bedding – sewn by my mother-in-law
pendant – World Market

Office Space
Paint color – Misty Gray by Benjamin Moore
Desk – World Market
Chair – World Market
Pillow – IKEA
Basket – IKEA
Gold vase – IKEA (painted gold)
Jewelry box – HomeGoods

Paint color – Bunny Gray by Benjamin Moore
Dresser – secondhand
Chair – Amazon
Vase – vintage
Art – Hobby Lobby
Duvet – Anthropologie
Teal pillow – sewn by mother-in-law
Curtains – IKEA

Silver table – World Market

Master Bedroom
Paint color – Misty Gray by Benjamin Moore
Grey throw – Anthropologie
Kilim pillow – Etsy
Wedding blanket pillows – Pottery Barn
Shag pillow – at home store
Garland – Anthropologie
Pendant – World Market
Duvet – Pottery Barn
Curtains – Pottery Barn
Carved wood piece – One of a Find
Velvet pillow – HomeGoods
Horse lamp – vintage
Leather chair – One of a Find
Pillow – World Market
Stool – vintage
Lion art – vintage penned ink
Mirror – One of a Find

Lion art – Chelsea Garter
Cupboards – IKEA
Stove – Sears
Mixer – KitchenAid
Pulls and knobs – Restoration Hardware

1. andrea says:

what type of shelving is used in the first photo and where can it be purchased?

1. jill says:

My dad makes brackets that can hold up these kinds of shelves.

2. Desirae says:

Beautiful home!!!

3. AshleyM says:

Sometimes one of these tours will pop up and I immediately think “AAH! I WANT MORE!” and those are my favorites and this was one! Beautiful home!

4. Dana Mosley says:

This is a gorgeous house. Great job. I love every aspect of it. Especially the kilim rugs. Could you give me a source to purchase them?

5. Katie says:

Lovely! This is exactly how I wish my home looked. I can’t quite figure out the right balance of mixing patterns and furniture. Beautiful home.

6. Shannon says:

Oh, so gorgeous! I love the gray kitchen cupboards and all the natural wood.

7. Veronica hamlet says:

Hey Andrea. We had our contractor build this. It is plumbers pipe sprayed black and stained pine wood. It can be a DIY u can do yourself if you are into that :-)

8. Pieter says:

I have been a fan of this blog since it started, but this is the first time I’ve commented (as far as I can remember at least). This house is beautiful, but the family is even more beautiful. I have no idea who they are, but there is something incredible about them and it reflects in their home. Bless them (and you for your fantastic blog).

9. Brittany says:

Gorgeous home and wonderful story. I also discovered a passion for design while renovating my house, but I’m still trying to figure out how to turn in into my career. Way to go, Veronica! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

10. Veronica Hamlet says:

Hi Dana @dana Mosley. I got these rugs from a IG and Etsy shop owner called Kilimrugstore. You should be able to find them on etsy by searching. He ships from turkey. :-) and is a amazing guy. Hope this helps :-) they are all vintage.

11. I absolutely LOVED this home! Amazing!

12. Amanda says:

A beautiful home and a beautiful story! Thank you for sharing.

13. oltyrrell says:

what a knockout! love the texture and mix of styles they’ve incorporated. such an inspiration !

14. kim says:

lots to love here and enjoyed the back story as well- a little FYI about the reference to Cherokee heritage in the kiddos room – they never lived in tipis (teepees) because they weren’t nomadic – they lived in huts made from mud and bark . My dad worked for the Bureau of Indian Affairs and our family probably knew more about native american culture than the average bear.

15. BONG DA MOI says:

Thanks for the inspiration! Gorgeous home and wonderful story. I also discovered a passion for design while renovating my house, but I’m still trying to figure out how to turn in into my career.

16. Lynda says:

Thanks for sharing. What a lovely home–just the kind of home you’d love to hang around in!

17. Veronica says:

I forgot to mention that you can find me on Instagram for any design inspiration and more photos. Blessings!! @hamletinteriors

18. Judy says:

Wow, despite the amount of information and beautiful things to see all over the Internet, Veronica, your rooms literally jump off the screen and pulled me right in. It was very gracious of you to include such a detailed source list. I know I can never “do it like you,” but now I at least have a direction to go in. Judy

19. Veronica says:

Hello Judy,
    Thank you for all of the lovely comments. I wanted to include plenty of information for you all. Feel free to contact me on instagram for
    design inspiration and questions. Blessings!

20. Stephanie says:

What is the name of the rug in Saraiah’s room? It’s beautiful!

21. Veronica hamlet says:

Hi Stephanie. I got this from kilimrugstore on etsy and instagram. It’s a vintage kilim. The other one posted by her crib is from rugsusa. But I’m assuming u r talking about the kilim. We had 2 shoots in that room. The kilim is here to stay

1. Deneen says:

@Veronica Hamlet … This took my breath away! What a beautifully blessed family, testimony & home! Thank you for sharing. Love your style. So thrilled to have discovered your blog via someone else on Instagram.

22. emily says:

what a fantastic mix of styles …such a happy home! i’m in love with those equipal chairs…i’ve always wanted one and must renew my search for some of my own! she’s going to be such a successful interior designer!

23. Abigail says:

This may be the most comprehensive source list I’ve ever seen on DS! Thanks. :)

24. Beautiful home! I love all of the quirkiness, as that is what makes a house a home.

Where in MI is this located? Just curious, as I am in Michigan.

Sue @ heavensgatehomeandgarden.com