DIY Fabric Buckets

Fabric buckets 19
I’ve lived in my apartment for about a year and a half, and in that span of time I’ve collected a number of plants. Some are still alive but many more have been unwittingly neglected beyond repair, which is why I’ve been eagerly reading Grace’s Home Ec posts on saving your plants to find an answer and I think I’ve got it: Over-watering.

In the time I’ve been here I’ve learned that during the summer our kitchen windowsill is the best place for most of our house plants. They drink in the sunshine and soak up vast amounts of water, but when the winter comes they need much less, but more often. I’ve always struggled with getting this balance right. Now that I’m schooled up on where my plants need to be and how to take care of them, I am ready to fill my space with greenery again. I’m so confident I can successfully take care of my collection, so I’ve been making these DIY Fabric Buckets in preparation for my thriving indoor jungle. —Fran

Fabric buckets materials

Materials

• Patterned outer fabric
  • Stiff calico fabric (alternatively stiffen fabric with iron-on interfacing)
  • Scissors
  • Measuring tape
  • Thread
  • Sewing machine (you can hand stitch using a needle if you don’t have access to a machine)
  • Iron

Directions

1. Cut your outer patterned fabric and inner lining into equal rectangles. If you have a particular pot in mind, measure the diameter across the top of the pot and add to it 1″. Multiply this by four and this will give you the length of the fabric. To calculate the height, measure the height of the pot and add it to half the diameter. Add 3″ to this number and you’ll have your fabric width.

Lay the pieces of fabric together with their right sides (the side you want showing) facing each other. Pin around the edge to hold in place and sew almost all the way around, leaving one corner open.

DIY Fabric Buckets

2. Turn the fabric inside out so that the patterned side of the fabric can be seen. Use your iron to press down along all the edges.

DIY Fabric Buckets

3. Pin up the open corner, folding the raw edges under and in between the two fabrics. Sew along the edge. This edge will be hidden inside the bucket so you don’t have to worry about getting it perfect.

DIY Fabric Buckets DIY Fabric Buckets

4. Fold the fabric in half lengthwise, keeping the patterned fabric on the inside of the fold. Pin along the two sides on the corner we’ve just sewn up. Sew along these two edges and trim off the excess fabric across the same corner.

DIY Fabric Buckets

DIY Fabric Buckets

5. Measure the length of your fabric from the side seam to the fold. Now divide this number in half and note it down.

DIY Fabric Buckets

6. You should now have what looks like an inside out, handleless tote bag. Pinch both sides of the bag along the top, about halfway along, and pull apart. Your seams should all be lining up together now.

DIY Fabric Buckets

7. Take a tape measure or ruler and run it down the seam from the corner point until the length reaches the number we took note of earlier. Draw a line all the way across making a triangle. Turn the fabric around and do the same at the opposite corner.

DIY Fabric Buckets

8. Sew along the lines we just made and turn the bag inside out. You will now have a square bucket shape! Turn over the top of the fabric to help hold in place and fill to the brim with pots, plants and knitting needles, more fabrics, yarn (and the list goes on).

DIY Fabric BucketsDIY Fabric BucketsDIY Fabric BucketsDIY Fabric Buckets DIY Fabric Buckets DIY Fabric Buckets DIY Fabric Buckets

1. Bethany says:

This is such a good idea! We have so many old plant pots floating around that don’t look too pretty, so I’ll definitely be giving this a go sometime and put them to use.

Bethany

2. Orsi says:

Oh, love this idea!!! Perfect to hide pots :)
    I allways enjoy your diy posts!
    Orsi

3. Anthony says:

Love this idea. Not only for flower pots, but for so many other items as well!
    thanks for the inspiration!

Anthony

4. Great idea! These fabric covers are beautyful! :-)

5. We love this DIY! Such a great weekend project and easy way to add a unique touch to your home.

6. stacy says:

Great idea, these are beautiful. Love the fabrics you chose. I, too, am slowly building my own indoor jungle.

7. Snappystreet says:

These look amazing! I wish I could sew!

8. I just love these and you could use them for all sorts of different things…..I think I might make some in bright colours!

9. Ann Thomas says:

These would look perfect in my Billy bookcase for craft storage, too. Looks amazing, gonna bookmark for future crafts. Thanks for sharing your brilliant idea!

10. Adorablest says:

Love your choice of fabrics… very Scandi! I made some similar, but I cut up old jeans – DIY can be found on my blog if you like :)

11. Love how your plants are displayed with these fabric buckets. Thanks for the tutorial.
    I shared this article on my site.

12. Aidel.K says:

I’m joining the chorus of appreciation for this post. I have plant pots to disguise, also. I found this unusually cold winter difficult to navigate in many ways, including caring for my plants. The heat was running so much that it dried out the tops, but the soil was still damp. I’m heading over to the plant-care tips you mentioned for help.

13. Kirsty says:

These are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing :)

Kirsty

14. Tom says:

Ah, finally! Clothing for plants. Lol. Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

15. Shavi Mae says:

Thank you for having this tutorial! I need this

16. Bhushan Juneja says:

Thanks for your lesson, It is nice,work is beautiful

17. I’m loving these! I need to bring some fun colour and texture into our living area… these might have to happen!

18. Very nice tutorial and I love the fabrics you chose. I really like the growing trend of putting your plants in textile “buckets” and I am trying to decide if I want to make some fabric pouches, or get some of those cool washable paper bags instead, or maybe a mix of both. There’s not a lot of fabric plant container products on the market, so I think its down to me to make my own. You made these almost a year ago – how have they held up over time? And thanks for sharing.

19. K Smith says:

Hi, really love your creations, thanks for sharing. I have bookmarked your page & will be making these with my family. A question, with watering the plants (that will be living in the holders) in mind, do u work with waterproof fabrics?