A Collaborative, Creative Home in the Midwest

Share It

Interior design gets good when it’s pushed – when it’s challenged to solve problems and get personal. Anyone can pick a style and stick with it to make a room look finished, but it takes collaboration, skill and even trial and error to come up with a unique design perspective based on different views. For me, it’s this kind of design that feels the most authentic and telling of the people who live in it. This Midwestern home highlights the best of each person who lives there, while also maintaining a cohesive, welcoming environment.

Casey, a freelance interior designer, and Evan Bovee, a touring guitar technician for Prince, were looking for a bungalow when they found this 2005 home in Springfield, MO with older home details. It had all of the charm (plus larger rooms) without the risks you find with older homes. Since moving in three years ago, Casey and Evan have been working towards making it a home that expresses their aesthetics equally. “We really wanted to create a space that reflected both of us completely – which is harder than it seems! So any time there was a decision to be made, both of our needs and opinions were heavily considered,” Casey says. “When we come home, we want it to be balanced and real.” Rustic, traditional, modern, glam, industrial and elegant styles have all found their places in this home harmoniously, with hard work along the way.

The process of decorating a space, no matter if it’s incorporating seven styles or just one, generally comes with some setbacks and changed minds. The Bovees have taken it all in stride. “There have been a lot of mistakes made, but the first one was painting a lot of our rooms dark colors. I really love that look, but I can’t live in it. The past year has been dedicated to painting,” says Casey. “Not only to fix my mistakes, but to correct all the cream trim and doors. Now everything is light and bright. We are still working on our home. I think by the time everything is completely finished (if that ever happens), it will be time to move.” If you ask me, it’s a pretty great work in progress. —Lauren

All photography by Matt Douglas

Faucet – Overstock
Gold Makeup Mirror – Amazon
Paint – Pale Bloom by Valspar

1. Denise says:

Absolutely stunning!

2. Katrina says:

This might be my new favorite home tour. Love love love.

3. Lisa says:

Love that coffee table! And love how you got it. I’ve often thought the best “wedding registry” would be to simply let your friends know which item you want most from their homes!

4. Katelyn says:

This is a wonderful home tour!

Where is the buffalo print in the bedroom from?

1. casey says:

Hey Katelyn!

Thank you so much! The Buffalo print is from an Etsy store called Anewall Decor. It’s huge and a great price!

5. Christine says:

where can I find a planter stand like the one in the living room?

1. Casey says:

Hey Christine
      I made them! Here is the link to the tutorial I followed-

Pretty easy!

6. Mindy says:

The entire home is amazing, I especially love the portrait of Evan.

7. Alexandra says:

Your railroad cart is simply amazing. How lucky he was to find it and you to have it now! Unbelievable.

8. Melissa says:

I haven’t even made it to the tour yet because I’m envy gagging over ‘touring guitar technician for Prince’. I’m dying. Best. Job. Ever.

1. Grace Bonney says:

Melissa

I know. I KNOW.

Grace :)

9. Kate says:

Oh Casey, I’ve looked at this tour too many times. It’s so good. I’ve had a smile on my face since the tour and my painting!

10. Kim Mesman says:

Love the colors of the bathroom cabinets…great house…love all the vintage finds…I am the same way…love thrifting at markets and thrift stores to find unique stuff

11. Sarah G. says:

SO good! Can’t believe that house was built in 2005, totally has the charm of an old house.

12. I love so much about this home: the subway tiles and grout, the charcoal cabinets, the wallpaper, the rattan chairs!

13. Elizabeth says:

Where are the sheepskin covers on the Rattan Chairs from?

1. Casey says:

Hey Elizabeth! They are from Ikea. Sorry about the late reply!

14. I love how it has so many fun little details, but it still looks so lived-in and cozy. Great design! xo

15. Nicole says:

So thoughtfully detailed but warm and personal, too! I truly think this is my favorite house tour ever! Thanks for sharing!

16. Angela beedle says:

Hi!
    Love your home. It looks so light and airy. Can you tell me the living room paint color? I’m looking for something similar in my own home. Just the barest hint of color, but so clean.

17. suzie says:

hi, can you please let me know the name of the tv cabinet, trying to find it on ikea website.
    thanks.

18. Stephanie says:

Are the countertops completely white?

1. Stephanie says: