Before & After: A Small Nook Becomes a Sewing Station

Share It

Keeping sewing supplies and small craft supplies organized can be an uphill battle. I’ll never forget the day I discovered my friend Llubav’s sequin and bead collection and marveled at all the tiny glass vials and containers that organized everything into such neat and tidy rows. I’ve never had that sort of organization hardwired into me, but I admire people who do, like today’s first before & after subject, Maddie Flanigan. Maddie is a passionate sewer and seamstress who recently bought her first home, a 550-square-foot condo. She wanted to find a way to squeeze in a sewing studio, but knew she would have to be clever with her planning and design. “When I first designed my sewing space, I hadn’t lived in my new place long enough to know exactly what I needed,” Maddie says. “Over time, I started to see its potential for becoming more functional for my sewing. So, over the past month, I made changes that will hopefully streamline my workflow. My goal was to reduce the time it takes me to set up and break down.” I love how much Maddie thought about her practical needs before designing this clever little space. Not only did it end up looking beautiful, but it allows her to have a dedicated space to pursue the things she loves outside of work and also produce more sewing projects and tutorials to share on her blog. Click through to read Maddie’s makeover story after the jump! xo, grace

1. Natasha says:

I am in awe of this space! From the flowy feminine curtains to the quirky playful wallpaper and everything in between. I think I have to go revamp my craft room pronto!

2. This is such an ingenious idea. It’s got me thinking a bit harder about how I use my closets, that’s for sure.

3. I love seeing sewing spaces, and this one is very cute. It doesn’t seem quite large enough to be functional as a sewing room? Where are you cutting and pressing? I owned that desk and I hated how small it was just for my iMac let alone wrangling a gown through a machine.

4. maddie says:

Paige – great comment! If you hop on over to my blog and check out the post – http://www.madalynne.com/sewing-space-mini-redesign – you see that I converted the other closet into a cutting and pressing board. I agree that table alone would not suffice!

5. BAANOU says:

Nice! We love the brightness on the make over. Can’t go wrong with white… it always finds a way to brighten things up!

Baanou

6. Vanessa says:

love this use of the space. It’s so bright! The wallpaper is fantastic too. I feel inspired.

7. Alysha says:

I AM IN LOVE WITH THOSE CURTAINS! Please tell me where I can buy then.

8. Alysha says:

I’M IN LOVE WITH THOSE CURTAINS! Please tell me where I can find them.

9. Ann says:

My mom had that chair at her sewing table! Does the seat lift up for storage? Hers did. Fun memory! Nice job!

10. Bong Da Moi says:

11. Stephanie Jane says:

Genius! That sewing chair! And I love that wallpaper! (which is really saying something because I have a hate-hate relationship with wallpaper right now, as we’re in the process of removing layers of outdated paper from our house) I don’t know how to sew, but your closet makeover would make me want to learn!

12. MC says:

@ Alysha- I think the curtains are from Ikea. They are great and very affordable!