Architectural Charm in the Suburbs

Share It

Moving to the suburbs can be hard – especially if the home being left behind in the city is a 100-year-old house with incredible charm. The odds of finding a home with character in a newly developed area are slim. When Mark and Jami Nato needed to find a home quickly (Jami was eight months pregnant when their old house sold) in the suburbs of Kansas City, they were thankful to find a house they could make a month’s worth of changes to and feel at home in. They’ve lived in their 1980s Cape Cod colonial for just six months and have turned it into a refined, beautiful space with architectural personality throughout.

Mark works in surgical sales and Jami is a blogger and stays home with their four kids, Layne, Lila, Penelope and Pruett. “We moved from the city to the suburbs for our special needs kiddo to have a good educational opportunity. In the suburbs there is so much new construction,” Jami said. “We thought we would end up in something generic, but when we saw this home, we fell in love.” To get the home ready for the new baby, Jami and Mark narrowed down their priorities. Carpet removal, a kitchen update, and fresh paint on the walls and trim were the most important to get done first.

They’ve decorated and designed their home perfectly for the way they intend to use it. “We want to live here, really live here. I never want my kids saying they were afraid of certain rooms or that they didn’t feel welcome where they lived. Basically, we just wanted a home that exudes hospitality, for ourselves and for others,” Jami said. Each piece is special and loved by the Natos, complementing the beautiful structure it lives in. They have turned this unusual suburban house into the best of both worlds – what they need and what they love. –Lauren

SOURCE LIST

Paint
white walls: Snowbound by Sherwin Williams
dining room walls: Owl Grey by Benjamin Moore

Secondary Dining Room
antler light fixture: Home Depot (painted white)
dining table: overstock store in KC

Living Room
coffee table: Urban Outfitters
couch: Restoration Hardware
rug: Home Goods
globe: DIY
yellow mantel artwork: Minted
black and white artwork: daughter

Primary Dining Room
long wooden table: garage sale
metal chairs: Overstock
light fixture: Crate & Barrel
artwork: Jaime Rovenstein

Kitchen
stools: Target
light fixture: Crate & Barrel
basket: T.J.Maxx

Bedroom
headboard: Amazon
pink pillow: Marshalls
stools: Target
side tables: Target
lamp: Target

Office
shelves and black shelf boxes: IKEA
countertop desk: IKEA
couch: curb find
rug: Costco
globe: grandfather

1. Beth says:

Those beams! The globes! The plate collection. Oh, how I covet.

2. Wow, they hit the jackpot with this place. I’m envious of this space!

3. jami nato says:

thanks so much for having me, you guys. xoxo

4. Misty Milliron-Grant says:

Jami Nato! My favorite blogger – hands down. I recognized the beams right away. Great to see her place on DesignSponge!

5. Betsi says:

Love Jami’s style! Would that I could commit to that much white! It’s beautiful

6. Lisa says:

This house is a dream. A DREAM. I cannot believe four children live here! So fresh and clean and spare.

7. Becky says:

Those measuring spoons!!! Where did you get such beautiful specimens??

8. What a beautiful, welcoming, fresh, bright space. The walls in the dining room with the gorgeous Jamie Rovenstein painting are just so beautiful–I’m so glad you posted about this lovely home today. Thank you.

9. I’m so in love with the paint color–I looked up Owl Grey by Benjamin Moore. The site directed me to “Gray Owl”, so here’s the link if anyone else is now fantasizing about finding something to paint this lovely, evocative, serene color: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/oc-52

10. Caroline says:

FAAAAAABBBBB!

11. I am drooling over the beams and paneling. Tons of charm and architectural details!

12. Lisa says:

This is such a pretty place. I absolutely love the hardwood color with the white walls and the navy blue. Thanks for sharing!

13. So glad to see Jami’s place on DS!! Fyi, my name is spelled Jaime Rovenstine. :)

1. Grace Bonney says:

thanks jaime! sorry about that :)

grace

14. Allison says:

This is an amazing house!
    (side note, I know this was changed a while ago, but as a reader via feedly, I’m sure you want me to come visit the site and view the slideshows, but it usually doesn’t happen. I resort to maybe catching the home tour photos on pinterest, or just looking at the one that comes through in the reader. I know I miss out a lot, but tbh it’s more work than I’m willing to put forth most times to come to the site and click through 21 times to see all the photos)

1. Grace Bonney says:

Allison

I addressed this online today, but here’s a quick rundown of how the business of a design blog works. For us to provide free content to you, we have to find funding somewhere, and the easiest and most cost-efficient way to do that is through advertising. We don’t ask you to click or buy anything from those ads, but merely bring your traffic to our site so we can at least have evidence of that traffic to show advertisers people are near their ads. That is literally all we ask of you in exchange for 10 years of free content, ideas and downloads.

Our team is made of up real people with real bills and rent to pay, so we pay them a fair livable salary and/or wages. We have to keep income/ads going in order to pay those people who write the posts, end of story. If clicking over to the homepage is too much work then I understand if you want to read somewhere else. But pretty much every other lifestyle site on the web use slideshows and ask people to come to their website. Websites live off of traffic, pure and simple. If we lose that (like to a feed, which we do not profit from in any way or receive much traffic from), we lose our ability to provide the content we love.

Grace

15. Wow! Look at those beams. I don’t see any problem moving to the suburbs if this will be my home. Love it! And my favorite part is that stunning kitchen. I’m sure the Natos are delighted.

16. Poppy says:

Wow, their home is lovely! Jami’s blog is awesome, too! I was lucky enough to team up with her on an art prints giveaway from my Etsy store. She rocks big time and as you can see, has amazing taste!