An Eclectic & Industrial Vancouver Loft

Share It

I love the way that homes speak for the people who live there. Loved pieces and styles are what make a house feel like home no matter what the architectural structure is. To me, a well designed home incorporates the housing style and homeowner’s style in a cohesive way. This renovated loft mixes the minimal, industrial building design with mid-century pieces, treasured objects and books for a space that truly reflects the homeowners.

Nicole Phillips, a freelance graphic designer and Andrew Walker, a creative writing manager, are creatives working in the city of Vancouver. When they finally found their loft, they looked past the 1990s wall colors and outdated fixtures and focused on what they wanted from a space. “Vancouver has a limited selection and affordable options rarely become available, so when this one came up, we jumped on it,” Nicole says. “Aesthetically, we chose this loft because of the large windows and two skylights that let in so much light.” The couple didn’t waste any time making it work for them practically, too — the built-in bookshelf, kitchen/bath update, beam and wall painting all took place within the first three weeks of owning their home.

“The main goal was to divide the open loft space up into a live/work space without it feeling cluttered and divided – we wanted all areas to feel cohesive in style and flow from space to space,” Nicole says. “When we first moved in, we had to pair down our belongings and mesh our design styles; luckily we have a very similar style.” The moments throughout the space of collected antiques, books and objects all point to the creative minds of the people who call this loft home. While the home is significant on its own, Nicole and Andrew have helped it come alive with their collaborative style and creative vision. –Lauren

1. Meghan says:

Did she create the giraffe piece? It’s exactly what I’ve been envisioning for my own home! Beautiful tour – thank you.

1. Nicole says:

Hi Megan,
      I made the giraffe piece. Let me know if you’d like to buy a digital print. Thanks and sorry for the late reply :)

2. iris says:

“This is the upstairs bathroom that’s just off the bedroom space,” Nicole says. “There is no door and a custom cut-out window on the right side to allow plenty of light from the skylight to flow in.”
    YIKES! How does that work?

3. Kari says:

I have always wanted a tall bookshelf with a ladder like that!
    Kari

4. linda says:

Lovely home,but I’m curious-what does a creative writing manager do ?

5. It’s amazing how much they re-salvaged and made their own. The bookshelf is a fantastic addition and the skylights add tons of light. The reclaimed wood in the bathroom and the ceiling made of wood in the bathroom add an original touch. Great space!

6. Jenna says:

Gorgeous, gorgeous home Nicole and Andrew! That bookshelf is AMAZING!

7. Nicole is so talented! The interview mentions that she’s a freelance graphic designer – she does great work. She also has a creative side project where she takes cast off furniture (often beat up MCM pieces) and refurbishes them. Such beautiful and unique items!

When you are creative like Nicole, you can’t stop making/creating beautiful work.

8. Linda says:

Nicole, please share where you got the giraffe. Absolutely IN LOVE with the space. Great job you guys!

9. Vivian says:

Just my cup of tea – with the mid-term-century highlights! I appreciate the layered effect in arranging collector items. Each item fits in so well, exuding ease and comfort!

10. Nicole says:

Hi Linda,
    Thanks so much for liking our place. I’m a graphic designer, I purchased the giraffe photo online and altered it to make some custom art for our space. If you wish to purchase the graphic from me to print at your local print shop, let me know. You can find my contact details over on my website http://www.visualheart.com

11. Nicole says:

Hi Iris,
    The open bathroom is quite lovely, it’s a private nook where no one can look in and see you because of the angles of the walls, but we also have a small powder room downstairs if you need a little privacy.

12. Oykot says:

I love the living area. It’s bright, clean and still interesting… and that bathroom and foyer?! Crazy love! I have loft-envy – so nice!

13. Sol says:

Oh that light everywhere!!! Now that it’s (almost) spring, I’m beginning to plan some re-inventions for my Berlin flat, too – this has much to pin down for inspiration!! Thanks and xo, Sol

14. Meinhilde says:

Wow, that library is stupendous!

15. Debbie says:

Gorgeous place! I have total bookshelf envy!

16. Julie says:

I’d love to see a before and after of this space. Beautiful!

17. That bookshelf and ladder is beyond amazing. And I am so jealous of all that beautiful light!

18. Nicole says:

Hi Julie
    You can see some before and after’s of the space on my website. http://www.visualheart.com – just search for renovation on the right side of the main page or look in the categories section.

19. Chelsey says:

I’m wondering if you have more details about the ladder? You found it online? Meaning eBay? I’m so curious! What a beautiful home you’ve created!

20. Shaguna says:

I love how high your ceilings are. That ladder is literally from my childhood dreams.

21. Jen says:

I think spray painting your fridge was genius.

22. Hi Chelsey

The ladder was found on craigslist! We hunted for one for a couple of years, everytime we found one it was too short. Read about our adventure in bringing the ladder home on my website: http://visualheart.com/2014/02/07/library-ladder/

23. What a great space. I love the use of color on the white background. Well done.

24. It’s fantastic how the natural light comes in, perfect for reading the books. But having the windows covered would be a safe bet, don’t you think? Even the addition of some draperies with a nice shade would be great.

25. Miranda says:

So lovely to see this house tour! I’ve been a faithful Visualheart blog reader for a couple of years now and have seen the renos in bits and pieces. This post is a great illustration of tying everything together. Beautiful space – I agree, the natural light is amazing especially in the Vancouver climate. Love your: MCM re-dos, dining room gallery wall and the bathroom counter top. Keep it up!

26. Nicole says:

Hey LondonBlindsCo,
    There’s actually roller shades on each window, they are simple, clean and very minimal. We kept it simple because we love the windows so much and didn’t want to interfere with the look. The roller shades filter the light and block UV, just what we wanted!

27. Nicole says:

Miranda! Thanks for the lovely comment. You’re too sweet!

28. Ньютон says:

It’s bright, clean and still interesting!

29. Jordan says:

I love Nicole’s space! The library shot was featured on Apartment Therapy today. It should be noted that her site is http://www.visualheart.com. This amazing house tour that she shot is found on her website :). The link to it is: