A Kansas Home Filled with Color and Pattern

Share It

Every once in a while, people luck out and find their dream home on the first try. Other times, it takes years to find the perfect space. For Tobe and Eric Reed, they had to look at over 200 homes until they found one that was just right. Convinced that they originally wanted a fixer-upper, the Reeds spent a long time looking for the perfect makeover project. But after three failed offer attempts, they expanded their search to see more move-in-ready homes. The home they would eventually call their own was outside of their budget range during the majority of their search process, but as luck would have it, it fell into their range toward the end of their hunt.

Eric and Tobe loved the home’s mid-century character and the fact that it was centrally located in their hometown of Overland Park, KS (the couple works on opposite ends of the city). So three years ago they moved in and they’ve worked on making it feel like their home ever since. Tobe, a blogger, shop owner and graphic design/social media manager for Hallmark Cards and Eric, a Fire Protection Engineer, share their home with their daughters Ava and Grace and a rescue cat named Tucker. Their family has worked together to create a space that not only welcomes their friends and family, but makes each member of their family feel comforted and at home. I love all of the family pieces they’ve incorporated into their space, along with cherished artwork by friends. Tobe explained, “It’s so important to love where you live, and we’ve taken great care to surround ourselves with things that we love and that serve our lifestyle. While I may never be content to just leave things alone for awhile (or even five minutes), I think it comes from a need to move and shift to best reflect the people that live here and how we need our home to function.” I think they’ve done just that and I’m so thrilled to peek inside their beautiful home today. xo, grace

Photographs by Jane Kortright

lion illustration – Petit Reve on Etsy
ampersand print – Ampersand Studio on Etsy
carousel photograph – Anna With Love Photography
whale illustration – Tuesday Schmidt on Etsy
bucket list print – Read Between the Lines

1. Kelsey says:

SO happy to see Tobe’s space on here today! It’s just lovely.

2. I really love the eclectic vibe here! The bedroom is my fav!

3. SLG says:

What a beautiful home. Tobe, this is a bit of a tangent, but you mentioned all the elbow grease it took to remove oxidation from that (lovely!) ibis coffee table. Any hints as to methods or good materials to use? I recently acquired some beautiful sort-of oxidized brass pieces and I’m stumped as to how to restore them without ruining them.

4. Love the chandelier above the bed, the starburst mirror, the campaign tables, the constellation prints, the art above the couch, and the deep color of the dining room is gorgeous. The brass ibex coffee table is astounding though! Wow! Great work!

5. Exquisite! Love it all!

6. Gillianne says:

I admired those campaign tables when I saw them posted somewhere and am glad to see more of where they live. Also nice to see the Kansas City area represented (Shawnee Mission East grad here). A polished but welcoming home.

7. Kelly says:

Love, love, love this home! I love the mix and that it was done on a budget. Well done!

8. K says:

Gorgeous! One of my favourite items is the popular yet not-so-nice-to-look-at at rocking chair in the nursery. Why? Because it tells me that they’re down to earth people. While planning my nursery (and scouring blogs) I was obsessed with finding the perfect rocking chair that didn’t cost a fortune. I ending up buying a lovely vintage mid-century rocking chair that turned out to be very uncomfortable while nursing! In the end I was given an ugly hunter green rocking chair — and it was perfect. Kudos to keeping it real!

9. Leslie says:

I love the blue walls in the dining room. The barrister bookcase used as shoe storage is great! I always thought some heels were just too pretty to hide in a closet.

10. tobe | BIA says:

Thank you all so much for your kind words!

SLG – I have several tried and true brass-cleaning methods. My favorite is liquid Barkeepers Friend and a soft cloth or toothbrush for lighter polishing. The ibex table was so oxidized that we actually used oven cleaner. Worked like a charm! It took several applications and a lot of scrubbing, but it eventually cleaned up. (I recommend doing this outside or in a very well-ventilated area.) My husband took an electric polisher to it at the very end, which got it good and sparkling.

K – Yes, we keep it real when it comes to comfort! Couldn’t live without that rocker. ;)

11. leslie says:

I wish the images were bigger. Kill the ad on the right of the gallery or move it so that we can see more. With that being said, I do like the new site redesign.

1. Grace Bonney says:

leslie

the photos are larger than they ever have been on DS- and that ad has been there (and the same size) for 2 years. so you’re getting larger images than ever before.

grace

12. Karla says:

What a lovely home and well worth the wait! My Grandmother was a Realtor and worked with one couple for ten years before they found the home they wanted. It just has to be right…

13. modfrugal says:

Been watching them transform this home over the years via Instagram and it really is a lovely space – congrats Reeds!!

14. Absolutely love the shoe storage and the giraffe dining table – so well put together! Love it

15. Absolutely LOVE Tobe’s style – so inspiring and such a beautiful space! Fabulous to see one of my favourites here today! xx

16. emily says:

what a great example of the idea that if you buy what you love it will all go together…and love the thread of midcentury furniture unifying the entire home.

17. Denise Thompson says:

My husband and I have been married for 28 years and still have the ficus trees from when we got married!

18. Love seeing a fellow Kansas Citian and awesome lady on here! Tobe’s home and finds never disappoint!

19. Sophia says:

Beautiful home. I like the art kids nursery. Great idea

20. Staci says:

I am OBSESSED with the blue tables!!!!!!!!