Our Kitchen Makeover

Share It

Paint color can be a surprisingly tricky thing. And one of the trickiest colors to get right is white. I know it may seem silly, but finding the right balance between cool and warm can be harder than you think. When I said I was searching for a great warm white for our kitchen, I couldn’t get over all of the suggestions I received and how many people had gone through upwards of 10 different colors trying to find the best hue. But for us, it came down to one perfect, warm white (“Tibetan Jasmine” RL1007 by Ralph Lauren Paint) that turned our kitchen from a dark hunter-green space into the bright, white dream room we had always wished for. So today I’m thrilled to share another sneak peek into our new (old) home and how we’ve transformed it in the past two months. xo, grace

Photographs by Maxwell Tielman

This post is brought to you by The Home Depot. View the complete Ralph Lauren Paint collection here.

1. Meghan says:

Beautiful! I love that you made simple changes and the space feels completely new and gorgeous. I’m so thrilled for you. Just as a suggestion you could fancy up the black counter top with large ceramic bowls, wood plank cutting boards or dried spices in a basket. This would take the eye off of the blackness a bit more ;)

2. emily says:

love, love seeing you work on your own home. love the contrast of the white and wood and black. so comfortable, but crisp. and, I love love the accessories in the room…the lamp, hanging cutting board, plants, mrs. meyers. small touches…big impact. can’t wait to see more.

1. Grace Bonney says:

thanks emily :)

grace

3. Francine says:

It’s absolute perfection. The changes you made are just spot on! And I’m still dreaming about that open shelving :)

4. Anna Marie says:

I love this!! What a great transformation! I really enjoy seeing how you worked with what you have to make the space beautiful. I’ve so enjoyed and appreciated your podcast After the Jump, and Julia on Radio Cherry Bombe! Really happy for you both to have this lovely space!

1. Grace Bonney says:

thanks anna marie!

grace

5. Katie says:

This white glows instead of cools. Well done! As one who has painted her kitchen cabinets… I feel your joy in getting through it, and the finished product. Beautiful space that will transition and grow with you over time. Can’t wait to see what’s next!

6. Janis says:

Looking through the pictures I suddenly felt like I could break when I came to the one with the open shelving and the cabinets had been painted that gorgeous “Tibetan Jasmine”.

Excellent choice in color and a lovely transformation.

7. simon says:

Like a diffrent room. it really shines compared to the before picture good job!

8. Cris says:

Hi Grace!
    I’m a long time reader, and I thank you for the bit of curated beauty that you guys bring me every day. I think your new house is great and I trust you’ll make it more so. Anyway, this is to ask about a very particular thing. I noticed that you guys don’t have a range hood in this kitchen, and I have to ask if you have considered getting one, and if not why. The deal is that I’m going to renovate a very small house soon, I’ll open up the kitchen to the living room, get rid of all upper cabinets and a range hood would really screw up my design, but here in Spain everyone tells me that my couch is going to end up smelling like fish, or cauliflower, or whatever. I would appreciate to know about your, and especially Julia’s, thought process on the matter.
    Thanks so much!!

1. Grace Bonney says:

hi cris!

our stovetop on the counter has a built in vent within the unit that’s super strong, so we’ve been fine using that so far. but down the line we plan on getting a new oven/stovetop there so we’ll see then if an overhead if required. i’m hoping not, because i don’t want to break that big open view, but safety will of course come first.

g

9. Erica says:

I obviously love this entire renovation, but what caught my eye the most were the mismatched bar stools! What an amazing idea! They each add a whimsical touch with so much color.

10. It looks beautiful! But I did like the cabinet…
    xx,
    E.

11. Jamie says:

So gorgeous, and I can’t wait to see more! I LOVE open cabinets but sadly can’t have them in this earthquake-prone part of the world (Chile). We’d have broken dishes all over the floor within a month. I’m also so unbelievably clumsy that with or without earthquakes, I don’t think open shelving is in the cards for me in any part of the world. Oh well! Great inspiration regardless.

12. Jessica says:

Absolutely breathtaking! The kitchen seems triple the size now! We bought a house last summer and the kitchen has copper hardware and a hammered copper sink. I would love to know the best way to maintain the copper. I haven’t figured it out yet. We use lemon occasionally but it’s not enough. Beautiful paint job! Did you DIY that or hire a painter?

13. Amanda says:

This seriously lifts the room, makes such a difference. Love how light and bright it is x

Amanda

14. Nicole says:

I’m bookmarking this page — LOVE it! I think I will have to steal this look for my kitchen. It’s exactly what I have been looking for.

15. Rachel says:

Your kitchen is absolutely beautiful- thank you for sharing it with us! It is my inspiration for starting to re-do our own kitchen soon (I long wondered if we could make our black appliances work with a white kitchen- I think your hardware ties it in beautifully). A quick question- in terms of longevity and making sure your hard work stays, did you poly or do anything additional to ‘seal’ the paint after you painted your cabinets? Is primer and paint alone enough to keep it from chipping or falling apart too soon? Thank you so much for your help. Again, congratulations!

16. I’ve always loved bright spaces and I find your kitchen stunning! You’ve truly found the “perfect white” for the room which plays with the natural light so good. I’m thinking of re-doing my kitchen as well now! Thanks for sharing.

17. sue says:

On the contrary, I don’t follow trend and never get it, white kitchen is the last I would do.. white bathroom, yes, I’d like to feel clean.. White kitchen is a big no no. wrong concept…There are tons of non-white color to bring the brightness and not sacrificing the warmth feeling.. Same goes w all white bedroom, ugh.. tasteless..

1. Grace Bonney says:

Sue

I understand that white cabinets aren’t everybody’s style and I would never expect anyone else to replicate this look if they didn’t want to. But I don’t think it’s universally tasteless or the “wrong” concept. It might be a “no no” to you, but it’s a major “YES YES” to us :)

Grace

18. Thanks for sharing your great kitchen remodel experience! I love your suggestion with picture number eight to use light colors to make the space feel open. My kitchen is kind of small, and it feels a bit cramped right now, but I’ve been wanting to make it feel bigger, so I’ll definitely try and give it a fresh coat of lighter paint!

19. Katherine de paquis says:

Beautiful and exactly the color I want for my kitchen. Question: what did you use for the woodwork? Thanks!

20. Lee says:

FABULOUS!!! please, will share the exact bracket details?

21. Ann says:

Wood looks lovely. What color stain did you use for your countertops?