It’s incredible how much environment can shape and inform the work we do. Since moving to a small town upstate, I’ve found myself less interested in the highly linear and graphic artwork that I typically prefer and more interested in watercolor, pastels and gouache in a way I never was before. I feel like my mind is adapting to a bit more open space and no matter what the reason is, I’m happy to be exploring work that feels fresh and new to me.
Megan Williamson is a Chicago-based painter whose work reminds me of my favorite Fauvist painters combined with a nod to contemporary pattern and textile design. I love the way she uses bold brushstrokes, big swaths of saturated color and works in bits of pattern here and there. (Her work has even been turned into wallpaper!) I thought it would be a beautiful way to end the week, surrounded by so much color and life. Click here to check out more of Megan’s work (you can buy her originals online). Until Monday, have a safe and happy weekend! xo, grace
- Ever thought your house was too small? This New Yorker manages to make living with 90 square feet look easy (maybe except for that bathroom part).
- The perfect antidote to this brutal winter, Dabito is rounding up some of his favorite yellow interiors.
- Garrett loves this vintage decor subscription service (similar to Birchbox).
- Garrett also turned us on to the collage work of artist Esther Stewart.
- Werner Knaupp’s wave paintings feel frosty and right in line with cold winter days.
- The Family Love Tree’s latest collection looks beautiful!
- More beautiful collage work from artist Matthew Craven.
- Must-Reads: Rebecca Clark’s artwork, Marble Concrete Wallpaper, Emily Isabella Illustrations, Laura Jones’ Paintings.
- Sneak Peeks: A Colonial Home in CT, A home in the city inspired by the coast, Shop Tour: Primary Essentials, A Sophisticated Home in Plano, TX, An Artist’s Home in Ft. Greene.
- Recipes: Valery Rizzo’s Caprese
- City Guides: NYC Guide!
- Life & Business: Pay it Forward (How to Help Future Women in Business), Profile: Jaime Derringer of Design Milk.
- DIY Projects: Our 5 Favorite DIY Materials (and 10 projects to make with them!), DIY Corner Organizer
- Before & After: Dala’s kitchen makeover, Sabrina’s geometric tile foyer makeover.