Living In: Big Eyes

BIGEyes_0002_3
LivingIn_Big-Eyes
Art. Scandal. Celebrity. Tim Burton. Check. Check. Check. Check. I am IN. The second I saw the trailer for Tim Burton’s latest film Big Eyes, I knew it was going to be stellar-looking, and I was not disappointed. The film focuses on the true story of Margaret Keane, a talented female artist in a male-dominated field. Possessing an untapped talent, strapped for cash and desperate for a new start, Margaret lets her new husband Walter take credit for her work. The rest of the story played out in newspapers and on TV throughout the 1960s as Margaret and her husband’s star rose and fell in the public eye. Burton cleverly treats each scene as if it were a painting itself, blurring the lines between reality and art in subtle ways. In some instances, it’s as if Amy Adams and the cast tell the story in front of actual oil paintings. Pair that with perfectly-retro 1960s decor and the film truly is a vision. Just in time for the Oscars, here are some simple ways you can bring the movie’s style home for yourself.   —Garrett

BIGEyes_Products_0000_1

1. Geometric Rug | 2. High-Waisted Crop Pant | 3. Splatter Paint Pouch | 4. Vintage Mint Phone | 5. Task Lamp

See all the links and more product picks after the jump!

BIGEyes_0000_1

BIGEyes_0003_4 BIGEyes_Products_0001_2

6. Acapulco Chair | 7. Worthy Leather Sofa | 8. Vintage Crocodile Handbag | 9. Red Tango Lipstick | 10. Pink Velvet Chair

BIGEyes_0001_2

LivingIn_BigEyes_4

11. Vintage Landscape Painting | 12. Vintage Wicker Purse | 13. Ceramic Pelican | 14. Blue Popover | 15. Mid-Century Lamp

Film: Big Eyes

Year: 2014

Director: Tim Burton

Starring: Amy Adams, Christoph Waltz, Jason Schwartzman, Danny Huston

Art Director: Chris August

Set Decoration: John Micheletos, Shane Vieau

Costume Design: Colleen Atwood

1. Colleen says:

Gorgeous, I just love 60’s style! I adore that green couch

2. Jessica says:

Yay! “Living In” makes it 2015 debut! :)

Thanks for putting this into the rotation, Grace, Garrett, and the rest of Team D*S.

3. Jessica says:

Ps. The film was released in 2014 — not 2015. ;)

4. MiaMaus says:

Missed these! Inherent Vice and Interstellar next?

5. I just saw this movie and LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! You’re right, you can definitely check all of the ‘awesomeness’ boxes with this one. And the 60s styling is spot on! (PS: thanks for including our 60s wicker purse!)

6. öppning says:

Awesome! Lovely decor.

7. Emma-Jane says:

Ooh I can’t wait to see this!

8. katie says:

I love when you do the “Living In” pieces. I wish you did them more regularly. I too would love to see Interstellar next! As well as, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Man’s Favorite Sport, Charlie’s Angels and Scream.

1. Grace Bonney says:

Hi Katie

We used to do them every week, but they faded in popularity so we faded them out correspondingly.

Grace

1. Ruth Vallejos says:

Hmm… I’ve been thinking about ideas for a blog. Do you mind if I take your “Living-in” idea and expand on it? I’d call it something else, of course!

I adore “falling into” a movie, much like people fell out of the screen in “The Purple Rose of Cairo”. Just as screen plays can introduce powerful ideas, so can set design and art direction, lighting design and costumes. Not to mention locations! Like that monastery where Luke Skywalker was found. It’s a real place!

1. Grace Bonney says:

Ruth

We’d prefer you definitely push the idea in a new direction so it doesn’t feel like the same column with a new name (ie: “Falling into”)

Grace