DIY Valentine’s Mini-Zine

Finding the one right way to say “I love you” can be difficult, so why not try it eight different ways? This unique Valentine’s Day card, created for us by designer Spencer Harrison (AKA Spenceroni), takes the form of a miniature zine, complete with a slipcover and eight pages to sing the praises of your one-and-only. It uses standard letter-sized paper, so you can create a bespoke one-off for that special someone, or run it through a photocopier and send the sweetness to all of your loved ones. Check out all of the directions after the jump! —Max

• Red paper
  • White letter-size paper
  • X-Acto Knife
  • Cutting mat
  • Ruler
  • Small glue stick
  • Pencil
  • Pens and markers

1. Fold a sheet of letter paper into 8 divisions as shown below.

2. Using an X-Acto knife and ruler, carefully cut a slit lengthwise down the middle crease between the two outer folds.

3. Fold the paper in half and push the two sides of the paper together to form a cross.

4. Fold the arms of the cross together to form a little booklet. This will be the basis of your mini zine.

5. Place your mini-zine on the red paper and cut a strip of of red paper roughly 1 inch wider than the zine.

6. Fold the red paper around the mini-zine to create a cover. Cut off the excess paper.

7. Using a ruler and pencil, mark the width of the zine on the red paper. Cut the excess red paper off of one side and cut the other side on angles to create tabs as pictured below.

8. Turn the slip over and use the X-acto knife to die cut a heart or other shape into the front of the cover.

9. Run some glue along each of the tabs, fold over and glue to other side to create the cover slip. Your zine should slide easily into the cover.

10. Now the fun bit! Use pens and markers to draw the cover and the inside of your zine. You could even paint, use collage or any of your own favorite techniques. Some ideas for Valentine’s subjects for your zines could include:

• I love you more than…
  • My favorite things about you are…
  • Things you do that make me smile…
  • 6 reasons you should be my Valentine…

11. Once complete, slip the zine inside the cover and give it to your valentine!

1. Kayla says:

Oh my god, this is SUCH a cute idea! Thank you, Spencer!

2. Hannah says:

This is such an amazing idea, and it can be so personal too! I wish I had a talent for drawing rather than just making a mess!

Hannah xx

3. Elizabeth says:

Ah! Brilliant. Seriously so sweet and doable. I’m going to make these for every occasion.

4. Orsi says:

This is so so cute :) I definitely will try to make one like this, it’ll be a great gift for my boyfriend for Valentines day!

5. d says:

Oh man I was really hoping this was a printable, exactly as is!

6. This is too awesome! I’m so going to make one for the partner. Much love!

7. DT says:

That is so cute, yet simple. Thanks for sharing the idea, I am gonna try making it!

8. Gemma Carey says:

This looks really cute! Handmade cards/gifts are so much more thoughtful!

9. This is a really cute idea.

10. Gee says:

Can you provide information on the pen used? Thanks!

11. Tara says:

this was amazing! love the design as well! :)

12. Joanne says:

This is super cute. I might try it :)

13. Zorah says:

So cute! I’m totally making one for valentines day.

14. Victoria says:

This is so cute! I love it.

15. Emma says:

Lovely but can you add another picture / describe step 3 in a little more detail?? Not quite clear how to do it!

16. Mara says:

lovely idea! can’t wait to try it out :)
    Mara // marashares

17. Maya says:

I love this – it SO appeals to the doodler in me :D In fact, I just made one for my best friend and husband, who I’ve been with for 15years tomorrow. I entitled mine “I love you because…” then doodled 15 reasons why I do :) Atm, he’s sprawled across the sofa next to me – snoring – needless to say, that didn’t make one of the 15! Thanks for the inspiration – it brought the best out in me!