I’m an all-around hot beverage lover. Of course there’s nothing I love more than a fresh cup of coffee to perk up my morning commute, but an early evening cocoa comes close. If you struggle to get your daily intake of water, then tea is perfect to sip on throughout the day to keep you hydrated, a soothing malt drink will send you sound asleep at night, and who doesn’t love sharing a pot of peppermint tea with a friend while catching up? I think we’ve established my thoughts on hot drinks and we haven’t even covered chai yet. I’m a fan.
It’s not often I don’t have an oversized mug perched in my hands so I’m usually on the hunt for a coaster. I’ll use pretty much anything to protect furniture surfaces. Most of my notebooks feature water circles running throughout and I’ve paid a few tea-dyed checks in to disapproving cashiers. The coasters I do own are spread thinly around my apartment in strategic places to preempt my needs, but I still get caught short from time to time. So perhaps it’s time to get some new ones? I started with this colorful DIY beaded set that works great together and each one alone once they begin to travel. –Fran
- Wire. The size of the wire depends on your beads (or visa versa)
- Small beads
- Wire cutters
1. Cut a section of wire around 15″ long and thread beads onto the wire. You may need to add or take away beads as you shape the coaster, so don’t worry about being too accurate for now.
2. Roughly shape the wire into different forms and check that your mug will sit easily on the beads. This is where you can add or remove the beads you need to create an even and full shape. In this case, a triangle.
3. Once the shape is ready, trim the ends of the wire and thread through the beads a second time to create a complete shape. If the holes in the beads are too small, twist the wire ends together and trim off the excess.
4. Make your set in different colors, shapes and sizes for all your mugs and glasses to rest on!