Anna Potter’s Home

Share It

Growing up, I was never one of those girls who longed to live in the English countryside and feel like I was part of a Jane Austen novel. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but it was just never my style or aesthetic. But then I discovered Anna Potter of Swallows of Damsons and my long-hidden desire to run away to the English moors appeared. Anna’s Instagram feed is a treasure trove of beautiful photos (and flowers) from her life and work in Sheffield, England and, after getting a peek inside her romantic studio and shop, I found myself wanting to see more and more of the gorgeous spaces she inhabits. Thankfully Anna and her husband Dan, an illustrator, were kind enough to share their home with us here today.

Anna and Dan moved into their Victorian-style Sheffield home 10 years ago. Along with their two sons, George and Albert, Anna and Dan loved the location of their house. Perched at the top of a steep hill between Sheffield’s city center and the English moors, their house felt like “the perfect place to raise a family and start a business”, Anna explained. While the family likes to spend as much time outdoors exploring the countryside, they wanted to create a space indoors that had character, but enough simplicity to let the things they love, mostly inherited and antique, shine. While their space looks as if it was always this put together and lovely, Anna says they made a few design “mistakes” along the way, including a questionable 70s orange paint color, but she’s accepted that the process of creating their home never stops ad is always evolving. I’m so enchanted by the current evolution of this family’s beautiful space and am so honored to share it here today. Thank you to Anna, Dan, George and Albert for welcoming us into their home. xo, grace

Photographs by India Hobson

1. Ashley says:

I love that there is color on the walls! It adds such coziness and a bit of drama. So many people are opting for all white, and I’m getting a bit bored with that!

2. Rebekah Coggon says:

The loveliest home I’ve seen in a long time, and in Sheffield too! Feel proud! From a fellow Yorkshire woman.

3. Garrett says:

Brunswick Green and pink is my favorite color combination of the moment, and this tour is one of my favorites of all time. So happy we snagged it.

4. Erica says:

One of my most favorite Sneak Peeks! So beautiful. Would you mind sharing the paint colors in your home? Thanks!

5. Awfulknitter says:

This is the most interesting home to appear on Design*Sponge in ages – a lovely break from white walls! And India Hobson’s photos are fantastic, such lovely combinations of light and shadow.

1. Grace Bonney says:

awfulknitter

i agree- this one really spoke to me :)

grace

6. This is such a beautiful home! The color of the walls are amazing and really give it a serene feel!

7. Molly says:

I love that succulent next to the copper leaf one (to the left), does anyone know what that is called? Thanks!

1. Hilary says:

So I know this is months later, but I just saw this. The succulent to the left is called burros tail, or donkey tail.

8. Jose says:

Image 15/22 looks like a Severin Roesen Painting.

9. I really love the mood of the home, it’s not one thing, it’s all the things combined. The bath is very calming too.

10. Helena says:

Love this house especially the photography and the use of light on the interior! So much inspiration.

11. Quincin says:

Unmade bed! Love! And where’s that dining room pendent from? It’d be perfect for our dining room!

12. beautiful light, color and collected vibe. love it.

13. Maggie says:

This house is wonderful. I too would like to know the name of the living room paint color.

14. Tiffany says:

Stunning and so incredibly warm. The photography of the home is amazing as well. Love it all.

15. Jen says:

Molly, it looks like it might be burro’s tail. Such a beautiful home.

16. Karla says:

Agreed, fantastic home. It feels cosy but serene at the same time. I love the colours on the wall and would love to know what they are.

17. Helen says:

Could I possibly ask where the candle-holder that looks like it is planted in the middle (3rd image, on the chest of drawers) is from?

A beautiful home. Thank you for sharing.

18. Mary says:

Lovely & restful. I love the rumpled bed.

19. Brandi says:

I love this house tour. Such beautiful colors. The dining room paint reminds me of plaster. Very pretty. Could she name the colors she used? Such a nice break from all white interiors, I agree.

20. Becky says:

Where did she get that beautiful copper terrarium/candlestick?? I need that!

21. Tex says:

ok, where did they get that giant map?! so cool

22. Charlene says:

Swoon worthy.

23. Ellen says:

So happy to see a home featured here that isn’t all white walls! Beautiful photography.

24. So lovely – very peaceful and naturally beautiful!

25. Jennifer says:

Tex, the giant map is an old map of Switzerland (“Schweiz” written across the top is the german word for the country); this type used to hang in classrooms around here (here being Switzerland).

26. Caroline says:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such beautiful flower arrangements. Completely ethereal yet realistic and still life-ish. Amazing. Love the house – but would have love to have seen some views from the windows too! Thank you.

27. Mellie says:

With the exception of a few objects on the walls, this is my idea of perfection. So very beautiful and inspiring.

28. Grace says:

Oh my, I love this! So beautiful and cozy. Especially loved the paint colors and all the plants. My favorite tour that I’ve seen on any site in awhile!

29. I love the greenhouse bathroom. And the photos are so gorgeously moody.

30. Debbie says:

Yep. Pretty much perfect. I love all the greens and all the lovely artwork. Looks like a place I would illustrate my next book. :)

31. Katy says:

Would anyone be able to tell me the paint color in the dining room? It is LOVELY! Many thanks!

32. Ann says:

Yes, great to see a home with color on the walls…and what lovely colors they are!

33. Jacky says:

What a beautiful home. Does anyone know what kind of plant is in the copper pot in the bathroom pictures (6/7)?
    Thanks!

34. Marilyn says:

Can anyone identify the tile used in the bathroom? I LOVE IT.

35. Susan says:

I would be so happy to know the names of the various wall colors used in this beautiful home. Love the greens! Any answers???

36. Mette Q says:

Does anyone know where the Living room chairs are from?