A Connecticut Home With a Black-and-White Spin

Share It

Buying a home can be an exciting but terrifying process. The ups, the downs, the financial stress, the endless possibilities of a fresh space — all of them are wrapped up into one big leap and one giant contract. Now imagine going through all of that from almost 3,000 miles away with at least a year between your contract signing and your actual move-in. That’s what happened with Annie and Brent Diamond when they moved back to the east coast after years of living in California.

Annie and Brent wanted to move back to the same town where they had raised their children, Patrick and Madeline, now that both were nearing college age. During college scouting trips with Madeline, Annie would sneak in a few home visits in New Canaan, CT, but nothing ever felt quilt right. Then, just after returning home to California, Annie’s agent called and said, “I think I found your house.” Brent was able to visit because he was on a trip nearby with Patrick, but all Annie saw was a series of photos via email. The next day they bought their home and it would be an entire year before the family would step foot inside their new house.

From the west coast, Annie oversaw the makeover of their new home, from removing wallpaper and light fixtures to redesigning their kitchen and making a major design decision throughout the house: everything was painted white and black. The stark contrast between black and white defines the space, creates a modern feel and adds depth and weight to the architectural details of the home. My favorite design decision the family made was to expose the original brick behind the stove in the kitchen, but the overall look of everything is fantastic. Now that Annie, Brent, and Patrick are home they love their new space and being able to be close to and visit Madeline, who is now a student at Bucknell. Thanks so much to the whole family for sharing a peek inside their beautiful home today. xo, grace

Additional Sources and Paint Colors:

Kitchen-1 & 2
Paint-Benjamin Moore Cloud White
Marble and reclaimed wood island- Williams-Sonoma
Refrigerator- Subzero 30”
Range-Wolf
Open Shelving and hood-Custom by cabinet maker
Trash can- Wesco- Crate and Barrel
Countertops- Black honed granite
Rug- IKEA
Small framed art to right of stove- Lisa Congdon
Red and white checked dish towels- IKEA
Hooks added to island- School House Electric
Pendants over island and above sink- Schoolhouse Electric
Living Room
Rug-IKEA
Armoire-RJ Imports, San Juan Capistrano, CA
Chairs-Irving swivel chairs- Pottery Barn
Table between chairs- Saarinen black top marble
Sofa- Mitchell-Gold, Dovecoat, Westport, CT
Louis Ghost Chairs- Kartell
Four-door distressed cabinet- RJ Imports, San Juan Capistrano, CA
Lamps on Cabinet- Jamie Young, Juxtaposition, Newport Coast, CA
Lamp behind sofa- Simon Pearce
Pillows on sofa/fireplace- Pottery Barn
Black cashmere throws on sofa- Nordstrom
Mirror-vintage-  Elizabeth’s, Lewisburg, PA
Master Bedroom
Paint- Benjamin Moore Graphite
White linen coverlet and Euro Shams- West Elm
Stripe pillows- Pottery Barn
Monogrammed pillow- BDG Embroidery, Fairfield, CT
Tan quilt and shams- Room and Board
“D” Giant Letter- Dan’s Parents’ House
Cloth Cord bulb sets- Lighting Plus, NYC
  1. Aminah Luiza says:

Perfect! I really loved everything! All the rooms are warm!

your sincerely,
    Aminah Luiza

2. Jub says:

(I really can’t get used to your new way of browsing pictures… The arrow buttons alwasy moove following the picture size, and it’s less more comfy than scrolling… I really tried to like it but can’t at all after several weeks)

1. Grace Bonney says:

hi jub

just use your arrow keys on your keyboard. i’ve explained this a few times on the site already, but you don’t have to click on any of the arrows ever.

grace

3. Alisa says:

This home is simply lovely. The combination of styles feels effortless.

4. Rachel says:

Beautiful, chic, cozy and “real” looking. *virtual high five!*

5. Thank you Grace!
    xo
    annie

6. Helene says:

Perfection! What color whites were used on the walls and trim (dining room, living room, entry way, etc.)?

7. Courtney says:

Yay Annie!!!! Love seeing your home on Design Sponge.

8. July says:

What paint colors were used for the white walls and trim?

9. Camille says:

Annie’s style strikes the perfect balance between classic cool. I’ve been following her for years, since before she moved to Connecticut and have always found her to be such an inspiration! Loved seeing these never seen before pictures of her house.

10. Wow! This home is so beautiful! I love how cozy it feels while still being classy! I absolutely love the fireplace!!

The Office Stylist

11. Annie has such great style. It was so much fun to see her entire home. Loved every inch of it!!

12. I love this place. Love the B&W with select color splashes.

13. Camila says:

I want to see more pics

14. Sally Zeman says:

Love this home. Where is the pendant light in the foyer from? Thx!

15. Min hus says:

I’m with Jub. I really miss the scrolling photo displays. I used to look at every tour, but having to click so much is a deterrent. Not exactly easy to use arrow keys on an ipad.

16. I have been endlessly inspired by Annie’s incomparable and inventive style on her gorgeous “Most Lovely Things” Instagram page. What a sheer delight it is to have this inside peek into her home and to hear about the backstory of it beautiful design evolution. Just gorgeous Annie!

17. flwjane says:

OMG, my favorite Monday read showing one of my favorite bloggers/designer/Instagrammer/chef and all around woman of style Annie Diamond?

Priceless. Almost makes me forget the endless winter.

18. Cristy says:

Crisp, fresh and warm. Love.

19. Tara says:

Where did you get your shades?

20. Jordan says:

Gorgeous pictures! I have to say, when it said “black and white spin” I was expecting something more modern and minimalist… but this has such a cozy look and feel to it! I am just loving it.

21. The front porch is gorgeous first off with the pale blue paint and the lights on both sides. Plus the little hello on the door. Then the fire place! Wow! The kitchen is another beautiful space with lots of white, the wooden island and the lovely see through fridge. The black and white photography in the master bedroom is stunning too. Great place!

22. Sue says:

What is the source of the lovely pots on the front porch on either side of the door? Thanks for sharing photos of this beautiful home!

23. perry says:

I second the comment where did you get the roman shades? I love them against the black trim.

24. Michelle says:

Beautiful, collected home. I absolutely love your front porch.

25. madlyn says:

Fantastic remake!(and I love the giant roll of paper!)
    I also like the new photo setup.

26. Stacey says:

Stunning, Annie! Your style is flawless!

27. Christina says:

I would also like to know the source for the shades – the ones in the kitchen. Thanks.

28. Deb says:

Love it all, especially the little surprises like the “hello” stencil on the front door.

29. L.O.V.E. Annie’s panache! How beautiful is that fireplace painted white…and the graphic punches everywhere? I feel lucky that I have seen her stylish and warm home in person…but this makes it fun to savor. Thank you Design Sponge!!!!

30. Polly says:

What a great space. It’s so cohesive yet interesting.

31. Ravi says:

Loved the black in the master bedroom with those photographs!

32. Heather says:

I love how cute and well-planned everything is. I am not sure of the Italian chairs decision as they don’t seem to go but hey, not my home. : )

33. Lisa says:

What a beautiful house! Is the paint on the front door the same black paint and finish as in the bedroom? I love the black paint on the doors! Also, do you happen to know the source for the paper roll? Thank you for sharing!

34. Kelly says:

where are those fantastic house numbers from?

35. Elizabeth says:

Lovely. Please source the black door and trim paint and finish. Thank you!

36. Annie has done such a beautiful job combining elements of contemporary and traditional. I love the contrast of the black and white and she does it with expert flare. She has such talent.

37. Sabrina says:

Lovely! The black and white theme works perfectly in this space. I am wondering about the source of the piece of furniture that “holds the family’s huge platters, serving pieces and stacks of dinner plates”. Where did it come from? It’s beautiful! Thanks for sharing your home :)

38. emily says:

what a brilliant decision to paint everything black and white…such a great way to create a cohesive look especially if you are renovating long-distance. love all the warm woods layered in. beautiful home!

39. Brittany says:

Lovely east coast home … also (just some positive affirmation here) I love the new layout. It’s modern, beautiful, and perfect.

40. This home is wonderful. A brilliant mix of modern and traditional. The ghost chairs really sit perfectly next to the distressed heavier unit and the vintage mirror on the white wall is so pretty. The black and white decor is striking and stylish, I love the vibrant red and black bedroom too, still very chic, but playful too. The rustic tones soften the look and add warmth. Love it

41. Alex says:

Would you be willing to share the paint color used on the stones around the fireplace?? I would be sooooo grateful!

1. Francine says:

Hello,

I really love your fireplace! If possible, I would like to know How did you paint your fireplace? which kind of paint did you use?thank you for the information !

I will be awaiting your answer
      Thanks again
      Francine

42. Norman Mills says:

The log from picture 8 fits perfectly in that room. What a great idea for a side table!

43. Helpmebuild says:

amazing ideas to design main door with hanging lanterns.

44. Kate says:

I really enjoyed this home tour! The mix of modern and farmhouse style is great, especially in the black and white palette. Nice to see some brighter colors incorporated in the bedrooms, too. My favorite photo might be the front door. Nice job!