Two Artists Make a Gallery of Their New York Home

Share It

When sculptor Rodger Stevens and illustrator Johanna Goodman relocated from Brooklyn to a new-construction craftsman in Nyack, NY, they opted to paint each of the home’s rooms a stark, bright white. “When Rodger was buying the paint, the salesman asked if we were painting a hospital,” Johanna jokes. Although an unadulterated white is typically the purview of hardcore minimalists (and, yes, healthcare facilities), the intention here was quite different. In addition to acting as a stage for the daily lives of Rodger, Johanna, and their two children, the home does triple-duty as a studio and a gallery for the couple’s massive collection of artwork. Hung in a salon style, the pieces (either inherited, found, or made by Rodger and Johanna) fill practically every inch of wall space in the home. A brilliant explosion of color and texture with hardly a spare piece of white to be seen, the home is a veritable treasure trove of inspiration, life, and love—and anything but stark. —Max

1. Tara says:

I love the portraits of the children up the stairs. What a great way to fill a home.

2. I’m not sure I could live without some blank wall space. I love collections and gallery walls but at some point for me anyhow, I feel the eye needs a “rest”.

3. How fun is this! So much color and creativity! Love it.

4. Abigail says:

So joyful and vibrant, I love this! What a perfect antidote to the January doldrums.

5. Katherine says:

YESSSSSSSS…. this house is totally bonkers and amazing. I like to imagine that they hang out in Nick Cave-style sound suits on their florid couch. It feels like a space created by real, inspiring people—not a designer’s showcase highlighting unlimited access to styling props (and funds). Bravo!

6. Peaches says:

Love, love, love! So much color and pattern and love. Spectacular!

7. Drea says:

I love the sculptures and illustrations, but their biggest talent is keeping that place looking so comfortable and uncluttered even with all the supplies and artwork.

8. This house is so colorful I love it!

9. ArtAlt says:

There is a great world outside of Brooklyn. We moved upstate as well and couldn’t be more happy.

10. Lena K. says:

The colors! The patterns! The textiles! All the finished artwork and the works-in-progress! I’d love to live there.

11. Valerie says:

This is a great space; I especially love the drawings along the staircase!

12. Hausfrau says:

Wonderful! I love all the visual stimulation. I’m not normally a fan of stark white walls, but they certainly work beautifully here.

13. The art work shimmers with life. Just beautiful–a magical and inviting home. So lovely.

14. Miss Fitz says:

Gosh, this is so very necessary on a cold and wintry day. I feel 10-20 degrees warmer just looking at all that color.

John Ritter rules.

Calling Nyack “upstate” is a stretch. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/16/nyregion/what-area-is-considered-upstate-new-york.html

15. meg says:

wow…their kids must love living there!

@waterlilyshop

16. Amy says:

Oh WOW, that looks like such an incredible home. I love that there’s no blank spaces on the walls. It looks so joyful and inspiring, you could spend hours trying to take everything in!

17. Very eclectic and artsy. Great look and feel!

18. Greg Nemec says:

The best thing about these photos is that the reflect the spirit of the people who live there. Elevating the beauty of the everyday, blurring the lines between what is and isn’t considered art. My piece in their collection is a fragment of a pinata I created, which normally would have been discarded. Their wedding ceremony was in a colorful elementary school classroom,which felt joyous.