Hotel Turned Beautiful, Efficient Apartment in Portland

Share It

My first apartment living alone was a 390-square-foot oddity. The door opened into a main room that was more like a wide hallway, too small to fit more than one piece of living room furniture. A curtain turned the front into a makeshift bedroom and dining area and my couches ended up in the technical bedroom. It’s what worked in the strange space and it’s all I could do to functionally — and somewhat beautifully — live there. When Casey Keasler moved to downtown Portland, OR, two years ago, she knew it would be important for her to find a home she could work out of, share with an assistant, find historical significance in and walk easily to and from downtown with her dog, Winston. She found everything she needed, except excess space, in this two-room apartment in a 1914 hotel converted into rental units. Looking at Casey’s Instagram account, you’d never know that her apartment is 365 square feet. Her perfectly proportioned furniture, design solutions and the gorgeous natural light pouring in makes her place feel airier than it is.

Casey is an interior designer who works for herself and from her home. Her use of the space to accomplish all of the various aspects of her life in the main room is pretty remarkable. Her lounge area with her couch and bar flows effortlessly into her small dining area. Since Casey loves to entertain, she’s created a space that achieves her hosting needs, despite the apartment’s small size. “The process is always evolving and organic. Come back in six months and things will have changed. The place is small, so it took me some adjusting to realize what I actually need on a day-to-day basis. I got rid of a lot of stuff,” Casey says. “I wanted the place to be a background for everything that I do. My place needs to have a life that can evolve. Because of my lifestyle, it needs to do many things, but also be a relaxing environment for me to live and work.” It’s one thing to create a functional space, but Casey has created a beautiful home as well. —Lauren

Photography by Casey Keasler.

1. Utterly charming! So many great ideas to steal.

2. melissa says:

Where is that gold lamp on the first slide from? I have been searching for one like this and that one is beautiful!

3. I know right where that place is! Even though I’m not living there now, I always consider Portland home. I love all the old conversions like this. There really isn’t another city like it!

4. Kristina says:

Is her art from traveling a Guayasamin? I’ve been obsessed with his Las Manos de la Protesta ever since I saw it in Quito, and it kind of looks like that.

5. Ashley says:

I’d like to know where the pillow cases on the bed are from – the ones with white and chambray stripes. Thanks!

6. Rebecca M. says:

I really, really like her space!

7. Kristin says:

Loving the “living room”, and would love to know where the knitted pouf is from!

8. Emily says:

The floral engineer print is by Debbie Carlos!

And I’d love to know where the garment rack is from!

1. Grace Bonney says:

Emily and Sam

I agree. I made that change to the post. Home owners don’t always give us full source lists, so we have to update them as we go along sometimes.

Grace

9. Sam says:

But isn’t that a print by Debbie Carlos hanging above the couch? Would be a nice thing to credit the artist instead of calling it a ‘photo file’.

10. JPo says:

I’ve been eyeing the large format b&w print featured in photo 1 from debbiecarlos on Etsy for a while. Looks great here. Nice space.

11. Thanks for the featuring my little apartment!

Melissa – the gold lamp is vintage.
    Kristin – the knitted pouf is from CB2.
    Ashley – the pillowcases are Steven Alan for West Elm.
    Kristina – I don’t know the artist’s name but yes, I bought the piece in a market in Quito!

12. Bekah says:

I recently bought a large Debbie Carlos print and am at a loss on how to hang it safely. Can you share the method of clips used? I thought of using this method, but was afraid I’d rip the paper. Thanks!

13. olyrrell says:

ahhh so much to love here- the tiles in the bathroom, the way she displays her books next to the bed—and the blue chairs in the bedroom…love those!!! wonderful little apartment!

14. brit says:

Where did you get your dresser??

15. Sarah M. says:

I would love to see the exteriors of homes featured. I know it can be a bit invasive for some people, but maybe a bit more often?

1. Grace Bonney says:

Sarah,

We always ask, but most people aren’t comfortable showing exteriors, as they make homes easy to find or track down in person. As the internet gets older, I found most people are taking more control over their privacy and asking for things like that to be kept offline.

Grace

16. Lovely! Such a great use of space, and it still feels airy and light.

17. Casey says:

Brit – the dresser is vintage, found it on Craigslist!

18. Ashley says:

Where is the rug from? I love the stripes!

19. Colleen says:

I can’t believe this apartment is only 365 sq feet! It looks much bigger. That’s a big dog for such a small apartment :)

20. TR says:

Where is the shower curtain from? Thanks!

21. Ann says:

I just visited Casey’s website, it’s lovely just like her home. There doesn’t seem to be a link in this post however. Also, really wish that sneak peeks came with a source list.

22. Kirstie says:

What a beautiful home! Is it possible to please share where her handsome garment rack is from? Our home doesn’t have a closet in the front entry and it would be lovely to have a rack like this one to store our winter coats and boots.

23. Wendy says:

Totally beautiful and light! I’d love to see a floor plan of hot it all works together…

24. Casey says:

Colleen – the rug is from Dwell Studio, thanks!
    Kirstie – the garment rack is from Storables in Portland
    Wendy – great idea! Imagine two square rooms with a bathroom in the middle of the two!
    TR – the shower curtain is Martha Stewart Living

25. Beautiful – I love your work Casey!

26. Taylor Kitto says:

Love this home (and that pup)! Gotta love that Portland charm.

27. Love the simplicity and color scheme. It’s hard to fit everything into 390-square-feet!

28. Abigail says:

Lovely home. I always enjoy the very small space tours, because it challenges me to do more with my somewhat larger 2-bedroom condo. I’m especially interested in the practicalities of entertaining in small dining spaces, or in homes with no dedicated dining space. I would love to see a roundup or something, because I always wonder how to do it well.

29. Chrissy says:

what about the sofa? so perfect. I would love to know where it is from.

30. Tammy says:

Beautiful! Where is your desk lamp from?

31. Alexandra says:

I love this apartment! I have this page bookmarked and I keep coming back to it for inspiration.

I’d love to know more about what reupholstering this sofa entailed. Was it simply a matter of getting new covers for the cushions, or did the cushions themselves need to be re-created? I have a similar piece where the wood frame is in great shape but the cushions leave much to be desired, and I’d appreciate any info about replacing the soft parts.