Before & After: The Power of Removing a Wall

One of the best parts of having your own space is being able to save up and work hard to make changes that suit your personal style and needs. I always love seeing home makeovers come together that involve DIY elements and people making their own design decisions, so this kitchen makeover from Brittany of Brittany Makes is close to my heart.

Brittany and her husband saved up to turn their small kitchen into a bigger, brighter workspace by turning three tiny rooms (a kitchen, dining room and living room) into one open-plan room. By taking down two walls, they gained more counter space (including a free-standing island) as well as room to maneuver around while cooking and cleaning up. I love the dark paint, marble counters and gold accents, but I mostly love that they kept this space realistic and as affordable as possible by buying materials and decorative details from IKEA, Target and Home depot and doing as much of the work as they could themselves. The floors were stripped down to the 50-year-old subfloor (I’m dealing with that in our home, too) but Brittany is waiting for a second round of saving up to tackle that final project. I really love seeing a space come together in stages so I can’t wait to see what floors they choose. Click through for more images after the jump and full sourcing here! xo, grace

BEFORE

AFTER

1. Beautiful! I love the dark cabinets at the bottom and the white units at the top.

2. Jess says:

Everything about this kitchen is perfect! The lighting, the dark contrast of the cabinets, the gold hardware… perfection!

3. Wow! This turned out beautifully. I am always amazed at the ability some people have to look at an outdated or small space, and visualize it as something like this. Amazing.

4. Amanda says:

Wow, this looks great! What an improvement! I really love how they kept the space above the sink open and clean, too.

I have a friend who remodeled their kitchen in a very similar way as this and they used distressed bricks in a herringbone pattern with light colored grout for their flooring. I am also curious to see what they end up choosing here!

5. The space is so much brighter, what fantastic light! The black cabinets and white countertops are great design choices to help lighten and modernize the space.

6. Diana says:

Love the navy cabinets and gold hardware! A personal favorite combo.

7. Jana says:

I don’t see the full sourcing info….

8. Jana says:

nevermind!

9. Sarah says:

GORGEOUS!

10. Karmen says:

What is the paint color!?

11. jennifer says:

Beautiful! I love the dark lower cabinets with the white uppers. I went to Brittany’s blog and the description of the process is great.

1. MJ says:

Did you find out the paint color and brand?

12. Orsi says:

It’s so much better the ‘After’ kitchen :) it’s so luminous and love the simple colors! :)

13. sarah says:

SUPER gorgeous!!

14. Sarah says:

Wow, I love that brass hardware.

15. Love Brittany and what she has done to her kitchen. It’s so gorgeous

16. Caroline says:

ffffaaaaabbbbuuuulllllooooouuuuusssss…

17. What a grand improvement. I love the hardware and the Oh Joy pitcher in the back! I have the same one!

18. Christina says:

Was her inspiration Emily Henderson’s kitchen?

19. Brittany and her husband created an amazing space for their family. Love it!

20. Kim says:

Such a stunning transformation! The hardware on the cabinets is so good – I can’t believe they got everything from Target, Ikea, and Home Depot!

21. Lulu says:

That’s what I thought Christina.

22. Lovely! Successful renovation.

23. Mary Beth says:

Oh, I want those dark cabinets. Beautiful transformation!

24. Alicia says:

I did that too. Cream white on top and dark oak on the bottom.

25. Jill says:

Flawless! I love every inch of this space. The lighting and hardware really make the space. What an amazing job!

26. Nastassja says:

This reminds me of Emily Henderson’s kitchen…. I wonder who did it first. Because the lights, hardware, Counters and Lower cabinet hue are exactly the same.

27. Gretchen says:

That hardware, tho….

28. mallory says:

Do you mind sharing the paint color of the blue cabinets?! It’s perfect!

29. rktrixy says:

What is with all the over exposed photos? You can’t make out the detail of the walls, wall corners, corner of the ceiling, the upper cabinets. It’s like there is a snow storm above the countertop. Please please please take the exposure down a notch! What I see I like – but I’d like to see it ALL. (By the way, I’m 55 – some of your readers are over 50. Your photo editor should be over 50, or have someone on the staff that is older so they can say “I don’t understand this photo!”)

1. Grace Bonney says:

Hi rktrixy

I’m not having any problem with the viewing of these photos and haven’t heard from anyone else about them (at any age). That said, we’ll keep this in mind and try to make sure everything is balanced.

Grace

30. kate says:

absolutely love this kitchen! It’s rather erie how similar the details are in this kitchen to our recent remodel. Needless to say, I absolutely love their taste and the layout is absolutely amazing!

31. Cate says:

simply beautiful, makes me wonder why the half wall was there in the first place

32. Pat says:

Could not find your resource info and would love to know the brand of the stove. Great job on the renovation. Love the deep farmers sink from Ikea…I have that as well.

33. Claire says:

Absolutely brilliant renovation. Well done! Love it.

34. CLAUDIA says:

Hello! I love the style and remodelation. Can you please guide me where and how to find the gold brass cabinet handles. THANK YOU FOR SHARING!

35. Thais says:

Under NO CIRCUNSTANCES remove walls from your house without consulting a civil engineer or architect. You could REALLY damage your house’s foundation. If you plan on removing a wall to “brighten up your home” please consult an expert first. I mean it.

Removing walls can cause cracks in them overtime and increase danger and is NOT a recommended ladida casual makeover.

If you happen to live in a building then don’t be insane and tear down your walls. You’d be threatening not only your family but many others… It is a good idea to turn three small rooms into one gorgeous piece but don’t do this without consulting an expert.

1. Grace Bonney says:

Thais

No one here is suggesting anyone remove a wall without consulting an expert. Did I miss something?

Grace

36. Regine says:

I love this kitchen and think it will serve as a source of inspiration or flat out imitation for us. Twoish questions: 1. How long can a room survive with just a subfloor? What are the dangers to it being exposed for so long? 2. Do you think the two-toned cabinet look will look outdated in a few years?

37. Christina says:

I love this! Do you know where the flush mount light above the sink is from??

1. Sarah says:

It’s the Bell White flushmount from CB2

38. Diane brice says:

Did anyone find out paint color!?
    Thx

39. Ams says:

Beautiful!!From where you purchased hardwares.

40. Lisa says:

Can you please tell us what color paint. Thank you:)