A Kitchen Remodel Fit for a Cookbook

Share It

Now that we’re deep into working on our home, I have a newfound and extreme appreciation for anyone who decides to DIY any level of their home makeover. From small painting projects to total overhauls, doing things on your own while you still live in the same space is no small undertaking. Today’s makeover comes from Eva Kosmas Flores, who had her own book contract (so exciting!) as inspiration to give her home kitchen a serious DIY makeover.

Based in Portland, OR, Eva is a full-time stylist, photographer and blogger. When she and her husband bought their 1930s English cottage-style home this summer, they knew the kitchen would need an update. So when Eva’s cookbook contract with Haughton Mifflin Harcourt came in and she knew she’d need a place to shoot her recipes, it was the perfect excuse to start with the kitchen. Along with her husband, Eva made over the majority of the space by hand, creating a dream room that will not only be a great place to cook on a day-to-day basis, but will be perfect for her book photography. Read on to hear more about the process and see photos of the final look! Thanks, Eva! xo, grace

1. Oh my goodness this is absolutely GORGEOUS!! I’m a fan of Eva’s blog, so this amazing kitchen renovation comes as no surprise – she has such a wonderful eye.

2. Marty says:

It is so rare and brave to take out a door to make it into a wall, but it looks perfect. I also covet that stove ….

3. molly yeh says:

oh snap, what a transformation! this is so beautiful. i love the reclaimed wood and that sink!!!

4. Over The Weekend says:

Great kitchen :)

5. Katie says:

LOVE! The floors are perfect. Would love to know the type of wood and where she got them. I’m about to put new hardwoods in my home.

6. What a beautiful kitchen! This looks awesome! :) Great job!

7. Erin says:

How wonderful to have a window over the stove (and what a stove)! And very gutsy to take on plastering as a DIY. Beautiful job.

8. Hi all! Thanks so much for your kind words! And Katie, the floors are 4″ wide white oak planks and we had them stained with a matte finish :)

9. Heather says:

I like the use of the alcove space. I would not have thought of it.

10. It’s so beautiful! I want my kitchen to look like that! The old cupboards are the exact ones in my old house!

11. This trully a dream kitchen

12. Holly says:

I love this kitchen. And I really like that she chose white appliances instead of stainless steel.

13. so quaint and inviting! I just love when people bring lots of live plants and rustic qualities to the kitchen. It really gives a beautiful, live energy to such a sacred space in a house :)

14. Hannah says:

I am so dreaming of having a white enamel stove like that. It is perfect for that kitchen and will last a lifetime! They can really take a beating and are so easy to scrub clean without ruining the finish. It looks so much better than a brand new stainless steel stove or something like that.

15. Katie says:

Thank you, Eva! I’m still swooning over this kitchen today.

16. I really love the sink (and the countertops, and the open shelving, and the plants, and, and, and!). Would you mind sharing details on the manufacturer?

17. Aysegul says:

Beautiful transformation. I love the earthy feel to it.

18. Amber says:

Absolutely perfect. What a warm and beautiful space. The touches of copper and greenery must really lift the room on those pacific northwest grey days!

19. Kari says:

Beautiful, beautiful kitchen! It’s clean and earthy at the same time. Eva, did you have the stove refurbished? Wondering how it performs. I have a potential CL find and am curious about your process. Thank you!

20. This is such a beautiful kitchen!

21. Erin says:

I love love love this kitchen, and have been showing it to all the cabinet makers and contractors we’re considering for our own remodel. I’d love to know the source for the sink–I haven’t been able to find anything like it!

1. Mackenzie says:

I am too searching for the sink. Have you had any luck finding it?

22. Well Said! This blog is very helpful for the people who are planning to renovate their home.

23. Beth says:

Where do you put all your stuff from counters. I have problems with that solution.

24. Tami says:

Beautiful!! What finish did you use on the reclaimed counter top and can it be used on butcher block? What kind of maintenance does it require?

25. Dee says:

I love the reclaimed wood countertops! Very cool.