A Home Where Creativity and Family are King

Share It

Without a doubt, the last two years have been the most influential in terms of shaping my home’s design. Being bold and less afraid to make a mistake, I’m more focused on what makes my space a good fit for me as opposed to what others may deem the “right” look. Sure, there is something to be said for the simplified, modernist take on the bachelor pad, but I favor the rich luxe of my blue velvet sofa, fur table runners and a gooey mix of street art and highbrow design. After all, it’s just me in here, so I say it’s time for my taste to be king! The spaces that catch my eye tend to also throw the rulebook out the window in favor of crafting a home that brings to life the owner’s unique image of where they’d like to live.

Nina van de Goor and her husband have definitely found their stride when it comes to designing for their family’s needs. They knew right away that their vision of a home with layered styling and color in the Netherlands would abide by no rules, would be always in flux, and fun. When she is not designing ceramics and artwork for her shop, Nina uses her home as an ever-changing canvas featuring artwork by friends, her own designs and pieces that all have their own story. The couple also knew that they had to keep in mind their growing children when they decorated their space. When kids enter the picture, it can be easy to sacrifice fashion for function. As you’ll see, however, the two chose to work at finding ways to highlight artwork and color in order to kickstart the entire family’s creativity. We couldn’t love the results more. Garrett

All photos by Nina van de Goor

1. natalie says:

This house is so beautiful to me. Nevermind the fact it’s in one of my favourite countries, I just love the use of colour. Especially that awesome wallpaper that was used in a few small areas rather than one big wall. So inspirational! Thank you!

1. Rachel says:

Please could you tell me the name and designer if the wallpaper – love it!

2. julie says:

Thats great that you know your the only one really going to see the design of your house so design to what you love.

3. jennysue says:

Love the original art in this house. I also love that neat clock that displays the day, month, year and time. I didn’t see a link for it, is it possible to share the details?

4. Nina says:

@jennysue the clock is a Karlsson Big flip clock! It was a great purchase that we enjoy so much!

best wishes, Nina

5. Nina’s home is so artistically put together. I love her bravery with colour and attention to details. It is such a stylish, cheery, playful space. Wonderful textiles, wallpaper, ceramics and lighting!

6. Paige says:

Hey Grace, I’m sorry if I’m behind since I haven’t checked many comments since you posted the initial site makeover. Are the arrows in the gallery still changing places for everyone else?

1. Grace Bonney says:

hi paige

that fix sadly wasn’t as easy as we expected, as it requires us restricting image sizes quite a bit. we’re looking into just making images clickable themselves (no arrows) so the images don’t have to be shrunk to fit a standard frame size. so sorry for the holdup. it’s become a “measure twice, cut once” situation ;)

grace

7. Hanna says:

Very nice, I especially love the kitchen!

8. Sarah Westphal says:

Lovely home Nina. Your ceramics and style are gorgeous!

9. Thanks for reminding me how much I love Chinese Lanterns all year! I wish we got more of them in the PNW!

10. Leslie Nikulka says:

What a delightful home to grow up in. I love it!!! Thanks for sharing.

11. sarah says:

Nina, thank you so much for sharing your beautiful home! What an inspiration. I love your vintage ceramics- you have a wonderful eye!!

12. Abby says:

Just love the dutch perspective. Thanks for sharing… and please please do tell us what is that wallpaper? It has completely lifted my spirits and changed my perspective on my kitchen that needs a renovation that I can’t afford.

13. What a colourful, bright and welcoming home. Its full of charm and character. I love how they use display cabinets to show off collections, rather than hiding them away. The beautiful ornate mirrors here and there are fab features and stand out against the more modern furniture. The girls room looks like the perfect place to grow up and feel happy and creative.

14. Brittany says:

This house just seems so full of life! Nina did such a wonderful job mixing old and new pieces, and I love all her collections. What a beautiful, personal space!

15. Lot’s of color, patterns and pottery. What a great vibrant place to live!

16. elizabeth williams says:

I have such strong memories of the face bowls in the 12th image. As I recall, they come with mugs and plates too. My afternoon is now over as I go onto Ebay to find a set.

17. Tara says:

Is it just me, or is the link to Nina’s website not working? I really want to check it out, as her ceramics look beautiful!! What a happy looking home.

1. Grace Bonney says:

hi tara!

i just clicked on the link in the opening and it’s working for me- did you mean a different link?

grace

18. Esther says:

Nina, zo leuk om je huis nu eens helemaal te zien ipv al die kleine stukjes op IG. Love your house!

19. Sarah says:

Wow. I LOVE that wallpaper. So jealous. Although my boyfriend would never agree to a floral print in the kitchen… sigh.

20. nourmashinta says:

aaahhh Nina, love your wallpaper! Your ceramics are also beautiful. What a gorgeous house~

21. Katie says:

I love the rug in the living room is extremely colorful I think that in the living room especially with children inspired to have creativity should be immersed in color I know where you can find a bright color pillows and rugs that are Kilim textile. The shop is on etsy called kilimrugstore

22. Petria Lenehan says:

What a happy home!

23. I am confused by the first paragraph–who wrote that? Garret or Nina?

1. Grace Bonney says:

Alana

The entire post was written by Garrett. We often write about how people’s homes and other content we feature relates to our own lives or personal stories.

Grace

24. Wilby says:

I really like the Windsor style black and wood chair; can you give me a hint as to who makes it?

25. meg says:

that kitchen!! i love a SMEG fridge, and it fits perfectly in that kitchen!!!

26. Christi says:

Oh yes. Wallpaper is gorgeous. Where might it be found?

27. Shannon says:

What is that wallpaper? It’s LOVELY!

28. Nina says:

The wallpaper is called Paradiset and is by designer Josef Frank, the Original design is from the 1940s. It’s being manufactured in Sweden and sold here: http://www.svenskttenn.se/sv-se/product/0311/josef-frank/ta12119/tapet-paradiset.aspx

The chair is a vintage Pastoe chair from the 1950s.