DIY Moroccan Wedding Blanket Tree Skirt

The-Makerista-IMG_9988
​I’m certainly not the type who can trim the tree the same way, year after year. I love to try something new each Christmas, and while I often start with the ornaments, this year I decided to start with the skirt. I’ve admired the beauty of Moroccan wedding blankets for quite some time now, and it hit me that I could perhaps come up with something similar for a tree skirt. The blankets add so much warmth and texture to a space, and their subtle hints of sparkle are perfect for the holidays. Plus, the neutral palette lends itself to all sorts of decor – perfect for my ever-changing tree. –Gwen Hefner of The Makerista

The-Makerista-IMG_9928

The-Makerista-IMG_9875
Here is what you’ll need:

-A square piece of fabric (my fabric was 55″ wide, so I had the store cut it 55″ long)
-Trimmings (I used 13 yards of sequin, 13 yards of brush fringe and a ball of yarn)
-Fabric glue OR thread and a sewing machine
-Scissors
-A bowl or saucer
-Measuring tape
-Disappearing pen

Steps:

Begin by folding your fabric in half, then fold it in half again (quartering it into a smaller square).
​​
Find the folded corner and place a bowl or saucer over about 3″ of the corner. Trace with you pen and cut.

The-Makerista-IMG_9823
The-Makerista-IMG_9825

To get the bottom of the skirt rounded, you’ll need to think back to using a compass as a kid. Determine the length of your skirt and then slide the 0″ end of the measuring tape across the cut corner, marking at that same distance (23″ for me) all the way around.

The-Makerista-IMG_9838
The-Makerista-IMG_9847

​Connect your dots and cut through all 4 layers.

The-Makerista-IMG_9850

​You now have a piece of fabric that is shaped like an “O” if you open it up and lay it flat. But you’ll need an opening to get it around the tree easily. With the skirt still folded into quarters, find the side that has two outward folds and cut down the center of one of the folds. Now your “O” is a “C.”

The-Makerista-IMG_9860

It’s time to decorate by adding the trims. You can opt to sew or glue here, and while I usually choose to sew, gluing seemed appropriate for this project. It’s not an item that gets a lot of wear and gluing will save you a lot of time. Begin with the fringe on the inside of the skirt and simply glue a piece from one side of the slit to the other.

The-Makerista-IMG_9888

​Measure down to find the halfway point of the skirt, placing several marks around the circumference as guides, and glue on another piece of fringe.

The-Makerista-IMG_9915

​Glue fringe on the outside of the skirt and then fill in, between what you have already attached.

The-Makerista-IMG_9916

​Next, add the sequin trim, simply eyeballing in between the fringe pieces.

The-Makerista-IMG_00822
The-Makerista-IMG_9928

And finally, fill in with yarn.

​Enjoy the sparkle and warmth it brings to your tree!

DIY Tree Skirt by The Makerista for Design*Sponge

1. must head to Jo Ann’s immediately. I love this skirt… so much more fun than a store bought one. :)

2. Desirae says:

Gorgeous! It’s to late for me to make this year, but maybe next!

3. Britt says:

This is amazing!! I love it!

4. Mandy says:

What kind of fabric is this? Wool? Felt?

5. Wow, how gorgeous Gwen. Such beautiful statement piece.

6. Caitlin says:

Whooooooa thank you for introducing me to disappearing ink pens! I make felt tree skirts and this is going to be a game changer – so much better than chalk!!

7. this is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen!!!! I am literally going to go to the fabric store right now and pick up these materials to recreate this. I love it so so so much!

8. So pretty Gwen. It really is striking. xoxo

9. Martha says:

Totally making this!!

10. Orsi says:

This is so beautiful!!! And it seems simple. Love it sooo much, thanks for this wonderful idea :)

11. cassie says:

this is stunning! i adore this look and the more affordable way of creating the look rather than using the blanket- perfect cozy and eclectic vibe!

12. Mandy, this is a wool – I was planning on felt but this was on sale and has the prettiest little flecks of shine in it – but felt would be wonderful and certainly more budget-friendly too.

13. Aja says:

This is so beautiful!! I’m going to have to make one and possibly a stocking for my daughter with the same idea. Thanks for the inspiration!

14. Looks amazing, the style will fit in perfectly in our new casual California style home, now I only need to find someone to make it for me! LOL

15. Leigh says:

I love this …it is stunning, simple, yet looks very expensive. Most of all, I like that I wouldn’t be trapped into a certain color scheme as I tend to change from year to year! TFS

16. sarah dorsey says:

SO gorgeous!! Amazing job Gwen!

17. Ruthie says:

Gwen I love it!! I love the neutral colors and it gives so many options for decorating!

18. Shelby says:

This is absolutely stunning! I have hopes of one day having a chi-chi flocked tree with white, clear, and metallic ornaments — filing this away as the perfect complement!

19. Melissa says:

Do you remember how much length of trim you bought? Absolutely beautiful!!

20. This turned out very beautifully, Gwen! Love how unique it is!

21. This is so totally fantastic! I absolutely love the look and can’t even believe how easy it sounds. Such a lovely interpretation of the wedding blanket. On my list for next year!

22. Oh my gosh, this is absolutely amazing!!!! Maybe next season I will have to try this! Lovely job!!

23. Wow Gwen! This is absolutely stunning ~ beautiful idea and thanks for the tutorial!

24. Beautiful Gwen! I love the unique look and all the great texture. I might recreate one of these for my own tree! Great job!

25. This is so beautiful!!! I made a crochet tree skirt a few years ago but it is so small and would take forever to enlarge, may just have to do one of these ASAP before my home tour next week ;) Back to JoAnn’s!!!

26. Absolutely gorgeous!! I need to make one of these … today! Thanks for the easy to follow tutorial.

27. Gorgeous! I love the fringe you found. We already have a tree skirt but I’d love to make an actual blanket like this now!

28. Melissa,

Thank you. 13 yards of each and a ball of yarn.

29. Rachael says:

This is so beautiful! We desperately need a new tree skirt, so I might have to make this!

30. Stephanie says:

Love it! Any chance you can hyperlink or share your sourcing for materials? Thanks.

31. Brilliant!! I love this DIY so much! Gwen is so creative!

32. This is SO beautiful — prettiest holiday DIY I’ve seen yet this year. ;) Xo, Alison

33. cheryl says:

Wow looks amazing!! Must try this out :-)

Cheryl

34. Always Me says:

How gorgeous! It’s so unique and different from the typical red & green tree skirts. Love!!

35. This is such a stunning tree skirt! Love seeing the wedding blanket style used in a unique and seasonal way.

36. ace says:

This is so pretty!
    Could you tell me where you found the wool and brush fringe?
    Thanks!

37. Amber says:

I, too, am wondering about the brush fringe…is it cotton and what is the length? For some reason, I’m having a hard time locating this. Also, did you double it? Yours looks so fluffy! Thanks.

1. Shelly says:

I found the Fringe at Hobby Lobby. It was a bit pricey but with a 40% off coupon it helped! Brush Fringe Trim 2″ in Ivory. 3.99 a yard.