A Modern Loft in Indiana

Share It

Over the past 11 years of living in NYC, I’ve lived in seven different apartments. I tend to love change and the chance to pare down my belongings, though I know that moving isn’t everyone’s idea of fun. But I love when I meet other people who embrace moving in the same way. Leigh and Joshua Savage have moved four times in the less-than-five years they’ve been married, but the change of location hasn’t stopped them from creating welcoming and beautiful homes each time. Their most recent move, as of four months ago, was to South Bend, IN, where Josh, a law student, is finishing his Juris Doctorate at the University of Notre Dame. Leigh and Josh knew they wanted to be close enough to campus to have a short walking commute to class, so they picked a small but airy loft in a new building. While the narrow, 625-square-foot space was a challenge, Leigh and Josh did a great job using area rugs to create rooms within rooms and give the open floor plan a homier feel. Their mix of do-it-yourself design and lovely hand-me-downs from family and friends makes what could be a cold space feel warm and inviting. xo, grace

1. oltyrrell says:

wow- the light in their loft is gorgeous, and I LOVE the chair pillow combination in pic #6. Love the whole eclectic vibe they’ve created. I can relate to moving and sort of loving it. I have moved 5 times in the last 6 years, I love to see my furniture and art take on different personalities with each new space.

2. Veronica says:

So cute! Sometimes small spaces are the best because you have your constraints right in front of you. You’re forced to be conscientious with your choices, and some of the most creative solutions come out of the situation.

3. Andrea says:

So gorgeous!

4. Colleen says:

Wow this might be one of my favorite apartments you’ve featured. Plus, he’s a Domer!

5. This place is great. The vignettes on the duct work are genius. I love all their textiles, especially the rug!

6. Agnes says:

Love this!

7. Lovely color palette and unique picture hanging above the bed.

8. Leigh says:

Thank you so much for the feature, Grace! We are thrilled and so honored!

9. Kristen says:

We have the same chair in mustard yellow! Does anyone know its origins? Ours is also thrifted.

10. meg says:

great use of the space they have…that gramophone is awesome!

11. Chelsea T says:

Oh, your orange chair makes me nostalgic! I used to have a pair exactly like that I got from Craigslist. For a while, they were the ONLY living room furniture my husband and I had. Unfortunately, we didn’t have room for them once we got a proper sofa – I miss them to this day!

12. Mary says:

I live in South Bend too! And my husband just finished his j.d. at Notre Dame as well! It’s so cool to see something featured close to home, reminding me that beautiful homes aren’t only found in big cities.

13. Shannon says:

Wow! I almost don’t believe this is in South Bend. (I am in South Bend…) Gorgeous!

14. Sabra Morris says:

Thanks for featuring a couple living life (if temporarily) in the Hoosier State! Born and raised not too far from South Bend and a military spouse with seven moves under my belt in the past seven years, I can completely relate to this couple and their needs. I love how they addressed those needs so simply and beautifully (without going to drastic expenses) in this home!

15. Samantha says:

This is a nice space. Does anyone know where the sofa is from? I’m currently shopping for one.

16. Leigh says:

Thanks Samantha! The couch is from Urban Outfitters!

17. Shannon Leigh says:

Very inspiring! Leigh, you should add interior design to your resume :). Where is the rug by your couch from and is the pattern grey or black? I also have a grey couch and have been looking for a similar rug.

18. Cat says:

Love the wall color! Do you remember what brand and color you painted it?

19. Nathalia says:

Hello! Did you guys design the whole place yourself, or did you have any help from a designer or design firm?